Beginners and Beyond

I thought I wouldn't miss winter..... (Read 141 times)

but I was wrong. On Tuesday, Indy got ~6 inches of heavy, wet snow. The kind that just sticks to everything. So last night I went out onto the local trail to see how it looked. It was cleared and the scenery was absolutely gorgeous. I forget how quiet snow can make things. Everything was perfectly still. One of my favorite runs to date.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Dr. Cornsitter

Looks beautiful. I do love the snow when it first falls (mostly bc I'm a girl and never required to do the shoveling, hehe). What I don't love is the follwoing days when the traffic turns all the snow that grayish, brownish color and everything is covered in that white film of salt. So, if we can figure out how to go from beautiful, peaceful snow days like your pictures, to sunny, snow-free days without that in between crap, I'd be a happy camper Smile

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

but I was wrong. On Tuesday, Indy got ~6 inches of heavy, wet snow. The kind that just sticks to everything. So last night I went out onto the local trail to see how it looked. It was cleared and the scenery was absolutely gorgeous. I forget how quiet snow can make things. Everything was perfectly still. One of my favorite runs to date.

Thanks for posting the photos.  As one raised in Maryland but living in Atlanta area, I had forgotten about how quiet snow can make the surroundings.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

That is so pretty.

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

kettledrum

Yes, it was very surreal driving into work yesterday.  Very awesome looking!  

Unfortunately, I typically run through my neighborhood and don't particularly like running when the roads aren't cleared.  But fortunately, I just discovered a free indoor track to run at in Carmel so that was pretty awesome too :-)   How's your training coming for the Indy mini?

Just B.S.

Yeah, pretty but I'm 100% sure I would not miss winter. But since I have lived here my

entire life and we have no plan of leaving I won't ever get the chance to find out.Big grin

We are over 60 inches of snowfall  this year (pretty typical) so far and there is always at least one big storm

in March.

Docket_Rocket

Nice.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

Those are great pictures. Thanks for sharing.  I grew up in the midwest so sometimes I miss the snow but I sure don't miss shoveling it.  Smile

Don't believe everything you think. 

Training is going great. My LR is up to 11 miles and i'm averaging around 20 mpw. Feeling pretty confident about the race. You?

How's your training coming for the Indy mini?

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Perhaps it's because it IS March and this will probably be the last snowfall we see here. No worries, in 5 months I'll be complaining about the 95 degree heat.  Smile

Yeah, pretty but I'm 100% sure I would not miss winter. But since I have lived here my

entire life and we have no plan of leaving I won't ever get the chance to find out.Big grin

We are over 60 inches of snowfall  this year (pretty typical) so far and there is always at least one big storm

in March.

happylily

Absolutely lovely! Thank you for sharing this with us!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

If I could run there, I wouldn't mind it at all.  Running through the gray snow sludge in my neighborhood is something I will not miss.

The area being so pristine and pure white is what made it so great.  I agree, gray sludge = no bueno.

If I could run there, I wouldn't mind it at all.  Running through the gray snow sludge in my neighborhood is something I will not miss.

flarunner

I moved from up there (C C CAR...) to down here and I don't miss winter at all. I miss the thought of winter, but not the actual stuff. I agree, though, that the first snowfall when all is pristine and quiet is awesome.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Winter is always better when it snows, and it seems you can see more stars and the nights are a lot clear and air seems fresher. Other than that, I miss being half naked on my runs and I can't wait to start taking my son out for walks on the days I don't run, and maybe taking him out on a run. I miss summer and warm weather.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)