Beginners and Beyond

Apropos of absolutely nothing running (Read 69 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

DH and I have broadcast TV and Netflix.  We are also wusses who can't stay awake past 9:00.  There are a couple of TV shows we used to record on a hybrid DVD/VHS machine and watch later (when we were actually awake), but the darned thing broke.  We use one of those HDTV box thingys the government gave away to convert our rabbit ears to HD.

So here's my question:  How do we record our shows now?  Is there a DVD recorder that you love?  There is no way we're getting either satellite (I'm too stingy) or cable (not available in our area).

Thanks for participating, because it's 4:40 and I'm bored.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

PADRunner

I use a Tivo but you have to subscribe monthly.

Brilliant

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I use a Roku to watch TV.  You can get one for about $50, I think.  I signed up for the PBS channel (free) and I can watch Downton Abbey anytime I want, the day after the episode airs on TV. I'm not sure which other networks are available.  But with the Roku streaming Amazon Prime, Netflix, and PBS, I don't miss cable at all.

From the Internet.

Depending on what you watch Hulu Plus might be a good option. I believe they still do a one week free trial before signing up, and then it's like $8/month or something nominal like that if you choose to subscribe. There's a delay between when new episodes air and when you can watch them, but if you're recording to watch later anyway it shouldn't matter too much.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

DVRs for broadcast TV (antenna) are available. A little pricey, I think I saw one for about $300.  Don't think a subscription is required.  Amazon has them.

Runner with a riding problem.

LRB

I have nothing to offer but popped in to say hi to the OP. What up doe! 

It took some years, but cable TV has transitioned from a luxury to a necessity for me. I thus cannot envision a scenario where I would not have it.

If you only get broadcast TV, what are you actually finding worthy of recording? Just wondering.

Netflix ought to have enough content to keep you busy anyway. Out of curiosity - how are you watching Netflix on your old TV? (If in fact you are.)

Dave

MythTV might be an idea.  It's a freeware DVR.  I've never used it myself, but have heard that it's pretty workable if a bit nerd-intensive to set up.

happylily

I have no idea what to suggest, but I congratulate you for breaking from the norm. I will ask SO later, when he returns home. Maybe he knows something about it.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Singer who runs a smidge

I have nothing to offer but popped in to say hi to the OP. What up doe! 

It took some years, but cable TV has transitioned from a luxury to a necessity for me. I thus cannot envision a scenario where I would not have it.

Hey hey!!  Yeah, we "borrowed" about six months of satellite from our neighbors 12 years ago when we moved to VA, and then when their subscription ran out, we just never re-upped.  We don't watch much TV anyway, mostly because I'm never home!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

If you only get broadcast TV, what are you actually finding worthy of recording? Just wondering.

Netflix ought to have enough content to keep you busy anyway. Out of curiosity - how are you watching Netflix on your old TV? (If in fact you are.)

We watch NCIS, but we go to bed before NCIS-LA and NCIS-NO.  And we like Scorpion.  So yeah, I'm looking for a solution for three shows.  .  Maybe Hulu Plus would be the way to go.  We watch Netflix and Amazon Prime (though we don't watch much Prime) through our Wii, I think it has a Hulu Plus app too.  I should do some more research on what shows are available through them.

Singer who runs a smidge

Well geez, none of my three shows are available on Hulu Plus.  Maybe our best bet is going to be exercising patience until they appear on Netflix or Amazon Prime. 

Singer who runs a smidge

MythTV might be an idea.  It's a freeware DVR.  I've never used it myself, but have heard that it's pretty workable if a bit nerd-intensive to set up.

DH is a nerd, so I think I'll send him the link.  Thanks!

We watch NCIS, but we go to bed before NCIS-LA and NCIS-NO.  And we like Scorpion.  So yeah, I'm looking for a solution for three shows.  .  Maybe Hulu Plus would be the way to go.  We watch Netflix and Amazon Prime (though we don't watch much Prime) through our Wii, I think it has a Hulu Plus app too.  I should do some more research on what shows are available through them.

You might also check into which networks have free streaming through their websites or app, which I think you should be able to watch through your Wii.

Dave

catwhoorg

Labrat

CBS has some sort of on-demand streaming for its major shows.

DW sometimes watches them on her PC.

I haven't so I don't know the details.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18