Beginners and Beyond

Find a small enough 5K and even *I* can place -- RR (Read 136 times)

Philliefan33

Apparently hell is freezing over and pigs are flying – for I placed third overall in a race.

Short version:  Only eight women ran this 5K, and I came in third.  Racing someone head-to-head is fun.  Hill training is a good thing.  I’m still slow.  But I got a trophy.

Long version:  Sunday was the annual “5K” for Juvenile Arthritis in the Pocono mountain community where we spend our weekends.  They call it a 5K but acknowledge that it is a little long – it just works out to begin and end at the clubhouse.  I’ve run the route a few times and it consistently measures 3.2+ miles on my GPS.  My course record was 33:01 from last September.  Going into the weekend my only goal for the race was to beat my course PR, which I figured would take a good effort but not all-out.

Sunday morning, DH made the sudden decision to run also.  (His running days are dwindling due to arthritis in his hip)  My goal for the race switched to “run with DH”…but that would still probably get me in under my previous course best.  For our warm up we rode our bikes about 1.5 miles to the start line.  A total of 23 runners are there -- eight of them female.  The weather was colder than I like -- it was about 45º and the wind was whipping.  I joked that since the route passes our house at about the halfway point, I could just stop there if I was miserable and come back later to get my bike.

I let DH set the pace in the beginning.  The first mile is a gradual downhill, and my effort was about tempo-run effort.  I look ahead and see only three women ahead of us and start to think that I might try for third if they don’t pull away.

After the first mile we easily pass the 3rd place woman who has run out of steam.  Hmm, that was easy.  We’re about 20 yds behind the 2nd place woman (Melissa, who happens to have been in my daughter’s HS graduating class), but seem to be gaining a little.  Maybe I’ll try for second place?  Then I hear footsteps from behind and we are passed by a woman who then quickly passes Melissa.  Sh*t!  If I want to place I need to beat Melissa.

We pass our house.  I’m not stopping….my competitive nature has kicked in and my goal for the race has changed again.  In the year and a half that I’ve been running, I’ve never had the opportunity to race someone for anything that mattered.  Ok, not that 3rd place in a dinky little community run *matters*….but it matters a little more than battling for 64th place out of 120 women.  Ok, not really….but it mattered to me on Sunday.

We’ve reached a point in the course where there is a 55-ft climb in half a mile.  It’s not really a hill, but your pace will slow if you are not paying attention.  This is where I pass Melissa.  Once the incline levels off I hear footsteps and hope that it’s DH coming with me, but it’s Melissa.  Sorry DH, I’ll see you at the finish line.  I’m on a mission here.

I start to think about a strategy.  With a little over a mile to go, I don’t think I can hold on if I try to increase my pace.  But I realize that the last half mile of this course is another climb, a little harder than the first one.  Since Melissa is a recreational runner who runs occasionally for fitness, I’m betting that she usually avoids running on hills.  I routinely do hilly runs – I bet I can out-climb her at the end.

So I settle in next to Melissa, biding my time until we climb again.  Looking at my splits, we actually slowed down in this section.  But 2nd place was out of reach and there was no one coming behind us.  At the 2.6 mile mark the second climb begins and I make my move.  It’s a long gradual hill into a right turn, then a little steeper for 30 yards, then a left turn and an even steeper climb 30 yards to the finish.

As I made the right turn I stole a glance and Melissa was about 20 yds behind.  As I approached the left turn, Melissa’s mother was standing there yelling “come on Melissa, this is for third place!”  I didn’t dare look but I was afraid that she was gaining on me so I did my best to sprint up the hill to the finish.

Woo hoo!  3rd place!  I beat someone half my age up the final hill!  (Reality check:  I beat five female runners – and probably none of them run as much in one month as I typically run in a week.)

Final stats: 3.25 miles in 30:36.  My course PR by about two and a half minutes.  According to my GPS I did 5K in 29:10 – not a PR.  You know it’s a slow field when 29:10 gets 3rd place.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on the course PR and the trophy!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Welcome to the world of competitive running. Now you know the difference between racing and time trialing. Small or large race, all you can do is race against who shows up to run. It's always more fun, at least for me, when I find myself in a race against another runner like you did. Hopefully you'll have many more opportunities like that. Congrats on your third place and outkicking the younger set.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

What a great report.  Never discount the race, you cannot control the competition.  What I find impressive is a 3 min improvement on your time, it shows how you are increasing in fitness, along with knowing your abilities better.  Proudly display the award, and be happy your DH got to run and experience the same race with you.  Pacing with him the 1st mile probably had a lot to do with how well you finished.

Congrats!!

I had this happen to me last year, where I came in 2nd overall and 1st female in a 5k with what I felt was a mediocre time.  It was shocking!

I agree, it's fun to be able to race head to head vs. against the clock.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

YES!! Great RR PF! That was fun and exciting to read. I felt like I was there cheering for you. Smile The head to head racing is fun because it can help you to go faster and get that PR. Keep it up!

Hip Redux

I loved this RR.  Great job!

Small or large race, all you can do is race against who shows up to run.

This is so true.  I felt silly getting two AG awards this weekend, but hell, I was the best out of those that showed up, so Philliefan - I say it does matter!   You showed up and you competed and you should be proud. Smile

LRB

(Reality check:  I beat five female runners – and probably none of them run as much in one month as I typically run in a week.)

We can only race who shows up, and we make no apologies for those we beat.  ; )

Your experience showed and came through for you, that's awesome dudette!

Ric-G

very cool...congrats! the miles you put in paid off compared to the others. bravo.

marathon pr - 3:16

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  Not only third place, but a significant PR for the course.  Good job.  You knew running hills would prove helpful.

Love the Half

Hills, racing head to head, race bling, all good stuff.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

hog4life

Congrats Phillie, that was great!

SheCan

WTG, Philliefan!   Congratulations on being 3rd place woman!  Pish-posh about it being a small race, it sounded fun!  Also, it sounds like you ran a smart race.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Antipodean

Congrats! It feels good, doesn't it. In my last 5k I won my age group by 4 seconds & I kept her off my back with my pace up the last hill and a sprint to the finish line. Exhilarating stuff!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

Great race tactics by reeling in and then passing Melissa on the hills.  Enjoy your 3rd place trophy - you EARNED it!

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb