Beginners and Beyond

What major running goals have you reached (and what is still out there)? (Read 188 times)

Docket_Rocket

Like Mary said, we are awaiting for the year you'll fold and do Disney because of your daughter.  RR with pics, please. Big grin

Don't know if there's a lot of vomiting but there's a lot of walking and a lot of stopping for pictures.  Still can't figure out why they call it a "race" rather than, "world's most expensive group run."

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Last year one of our oldest and biggest local races changed from tear off, handwritten tags to chip timing. There was a power outage during the race and the people who placed from about 10 - 75 weren't recorded. Yeah, I'll stick with the old school stuff and not get too wrapped up in the frivolities.

Power required? Hmm, this might have something to do with why it's rarely used up here. Would need to haul a generator to start line or be able to run off car plugin. Or use something that can run off batteries for awhile. (kinda like discussion in "ipad quandary" thread.)

Old school works well, unless somebody drops the stringer of tear-off strips (but most of my races don't use that anyway).

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      Love the Half

The Winter Series I just completed with a 5K in December, an 8K in January, and a 10K in February used the Popsicle stick method which I find preferable to tear off tags.  As you cross the finish line, an official is pressing a button that records times.  You are handed a Popsicle stick as you cross.  You turn the stick into an official and they record your finishing order.  Then, it's a simple matter of matching up names and times.  No chance of getting out of order in the chute and you don't have to stop right after crossing the line.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

My favorite local timing system involves tear off sticky tags (stuck on a pinned tag they can peel it from) that have your name and age on them, and are color coded by age group. In the chute the just peel it off and stick it on the board. You can immediately see your place for overall AND age group. It works!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

robinde

I didn't start "running" until March 2012.  Running is in quotes because I think what I do barely qualifies for jogging.  I was walking as part of my weight loss regimen and I wanted a more intense feeling workout.  I chose to just pick up the pace.  Then it was a progression of sorts.  I don't know that I really set any goals.  I just kept wanting to be able to run farther and farther without stopping.  Now that I'm looking at my progress, I'd like to be able to do things like run a sub 30:00 5K or keep a pace of 10:00 mm for really long stretches.  I'm just concentrating on building my base for now and then maybe this fall I'll concentrate on getting faster.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

robinde - It sounds like you're on the right track!  I think you have very achievable goals as well.  Keep us posted.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

You Rang?

Is there a lot of vomiting?

Yeah... around mile 9.  The race organizers hand out GU at mile 8.5 and most people in the mid and back of the pack take two.  If one is good, two must be better, right?

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

LRB

Yeah... around mile 9.  The race organizers hand out GU at mile 8.5 and most people in the mid and back of the pack take two.  If one is good, two must be better, right?

Rick

It's the American way!

It's the American way!

the one Gu I have ever had was lemon lime flavor- I chased it with a cold beer.....thats the South Texan way Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Reached:

• Just starting out period, running a 5K, then a 10K, half, and eventually marathon. 
                      • A new 5K PR/sub-24 minute 5K.  Now, I just want to stay consistently around 23, 24 minutes.

Goals:

• Set a new PR's in the half, 10K, and whatever other distances tickle my fancy.  Both my 10K and half PR's seem really soft now compared to my 5K PR.
                      • Drop a couple of pounds for racing purposes
                      • Run 2013 miles in 2013
                      • Stay UNinjured
                      • Run a half in every state...I'm at 5 right now, hoping to knock out 2 more this year.
                      So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Reached:

• Stay injured
                        • Ran a half in every state...I'm at 5 right now, hoping to knock out 2 more this year.

Umm, Daisy, I think we should revise this so it doesn't become some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy Smile

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Long term goals:

• Stay healthy to where I can still enjoy running
                          • BQ, I need to drop 14 minutes off my PR to do so
                          • Run a 50K.  I told myself I wouldn't even think about an ultra until I ran a "good" marathon (an ultra seemed pointless to me if I couldn't run a marathon well).  This past Sunday was my first "good" marathon.  So it looks like I'll be signing up for an ultra at some point. 
                          • Run Chicago and/or NY Marathon

You people have issues 

Dad on the run.

My personal Goals

1st - Start running, this was really much harder than I thought it would be and it took almsot a year after my first attempt to get out there and start again, but I'm glad I did because I haven't stopped since i started last year in May.

2nd - Finish my first 5k - I would say the first 5k I ran I did this but it was really only 2.8 miles so it didn't count, but I got it the second time around Smile

3rd - Finish a 5k in under 30min - I did this on my 3rd 5k race which I finished in 29:** don't remember the specifics.

4th - To be able to run every mile of a 5k under 9 mins - I actually finally did this today on a practive 5k run Smile really excited about that

5th - To beat my personal 5k best of 27:20 which again I did today.

6th - Run a HM

7th - Run a FM

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Umm, Daisy, I think we should revise this so it doesn't become some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy Smile

Gah, UNinjured.  I modified it.

DCDan78

Running a half in all 50 states is a great goal.