Beginners and Beyond

1 Mile Race Report (Read 66 times)

LRB

I completed the first of two mile races of the season today with a Garmin time of 5:29.

I had hoped for a much better time than that but upon arriving at the course this morning I knew my work was going to be cut out for me, having found the first 350 meters or so of the course was flat then it went up, up, up leveling off just before the hairpin turnaround.

So there were two reasons to slow down right there and believe me when I tell you I took them, OOF!

It was not really a hill more of a long incline and based on what I saw during my 3 mile warmup my race plan was to run a fast 1st quarter, ease up on my effort just a bit while going up the incline for the 2nd quarter, regain my momentum coming out of the turn with a faster 3rd quarter, then finish strong.  And actually that is just how it played out except the 2nd quarter took way too long.

I figured out how to silence my Garmin earlier this week so I programmed it to record my quarter mile splits (actual quarter miles, not 400 meter splits) and they were:

1:14

1:28

1:26

1:20

Or in other words, not as good as I had hoped for the middle two.

The funny thing with the mile is one minute you are waiting forever for the start, then bam you are running your ass off, and the next it's all over just like that!

I am not happy that I was unable to take back on the downhill what I lost going up but I suppose I ran the first quarter a bit too fast (a pace of 4:59 I later learned) but honestly that is right where I wanted to be so who knows.

I ran at the front of the back third of the pack for most of the race and was passed just before the 3/4 mile point by a guy who apparently found his second wind, but I was able to eventually run him down and stay ahead of him through the finish.

I did slow down again about 15 meters or so from the finish when I saw the official clock for the first time I was really dejected.  Had I not looked I may have sliced another second or two off my time but oh well.

I guess looking at the finish clock can work both ways; sometimes you take off like a bat outta hell and other times, well it hits you the wrong way.

Be that as it may I have one more crack at this distance and will take the lessons learned today and try to apply them there.  It is a shame that such an exciting event is so rare around these parts but all you will mostly find here are 1 mile fun runs.

Anyway there were 25 runners and I placed 17th.  The top 3 men ran 4:25, 4:27 and 4:32.  The top three women ran 4:55, 5:00 and 5:03.

The top 3 male masters finishers ran 5:10, 5:15 and 5:25.  The women's masters winner ran a 5:36 and the only other female masters runner came in 25th at 6:28.

In all 5 runners ran in the 6:00's, 19 ran in the 5:00's and the top 6 went sub-5:00.

There was a ten second difference with my Garmin time and my official time of 5:39.  Others reported discrepancies ranging from 10 seconds to as much as 30 seconds depending on the event they ran (mile, 5k, or 10k).

As such I will not count today's race as a PR and my time of 5:35 from last July will stand as my official personal best until I beat it with an official time.  Hopefully that will come at my next event or it's gonna be a long ass off-season.

Thanks for reading!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

An uphill mile race? I have never run a mile race and know nothing about them. I guess I assumed that it would be run on a track. Was it in a park or something? Regardless, that is impressive, to say the least. So, tonight will it be beer or wine? Smile

Mmmmm...beer

Nice work Rick!  I've only one one miler and it was on a track, I'll be doing that same race again in August, looking forward to it.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

So, tonight will it be beer or wine? Smile

Tonight?  Sheeit by then I will be knocked the hell out.  lol

Just to clarify it was not a hill as some of the people who live in hilly areas would call a hill.  There are quite a few races around here that have such a layout and you are looking to race that course, not necessarily run a PB.

There are probably more 1 mile events I have just not come across them but have yet to run a mile race on a track of the four that I have done thus far.

No more marathons

LRB - tough to run a flat out mile when the course is not flat out.

We have a few serious mile races around my domicile, and most of them are set to be slightly downhill, with no turns - similar to the 5th ave mile in new york.  I've never run one but might put one on my list now.

Is your 2nd target the same course or different?

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Zelanie

Sounds like that official PR is ready to fall next time!

I couldn't even imagine making a hairpin turn at that pace, wow!  Also, nice fast field!

Docket_Rocket

Uphill and you still put a smoking time?  Alright!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Congrats LRB. The mile sounds like a tough distance to master, and brutally painful.

I've recently been scoping out some mile races and hope to make a go of it 1 year.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Who puts a hill and a hairpin turn in a mile race course? Sounds like you made the best of the situation and finished strong to make up for the early adjustments.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Outstanding performance, man.

So LRB & I raced at the same event today. I was out doing a warmup jog, and I see a guy coming towards me also warming up, but just blazing, and of course it was LRB.

This was an "Elite Mile" race, so you have to qualify just to get in. So big accomplishment right there.

The course was just a straight shot down the street (which was also the first 0.5 mile of the 5k/10k), then around the hairpin turn & back.

His race started at 7:45 and mine at 8:00, so I was able to finish my warmup in time to watch the mile finish. I know he wasn't feeling too good at the end but he was really booking. Super impressive. As he mentioned, a lot of amazingly fast people there; none of the top 3 finishers were local.

And major props - dude came back on the course to run the last mile or so of my 10k with me.

You da man.

Dave

LRB

The mile sounds like a tough distance to master, and brutally painful.

Yes, there is a point during it where you wonder what in the hell you were thinking.  lol  That said, you are carrying some pretty impressive times across four distances and no doubt would have some fun of your own with the mile!

Bluesky my next mile event is a straight shot down the middle of the boulevard and is where my current mile PR was set.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Who puts a hill and a hairpin turn in a mile race course? Sounds like you made the best of the situation and finished strong to make up for the early adjustments.

+1

I love the mile, I love when others enjoy racing it too! That is a bear of a course, though. A great time with those things working against you.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Hip Redux

Nice work, LRB! I fully blame you for my trying the mile last year

I like this on the scenes reporting in RRs.  We need more eye witnesses at races to give us the real deets Big grin

Outstanding performance, man.

So LRB & I raced at the same event today. I was out doing a warmup jog, and I see a guy coming towards me also warming up, but just blazing, and of course it was LRB.

This was an "Elite Mile" race, so you have to qualify just to get in. So big accomplishment right there.

The course was just a straight shot down the street (which was also the first 0.5 mile of the 5k/10k), then around the hairpin turn & back.

His race started at 7:45 and mine at 8:00, so I was able to finish my warmup in time to watch the mile finish. I know he wasn't feeling too good at the end but he was really booking. Super impressive. As he mentioned, a lot of amazingly fast people there; none of the top 3 finishers were local.

And major props - dude came back on the course to run the last mile or so of my 10k with me.

You da man.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

and the next it's all over just like that!

This made me laugh, from my personal perspective.  Maybe that's true for a speedy runner like you, Ric.   A slow dog like me, I'd be out there a while, lol.

Congrats on your mile, 5:09 and with an uphill yet..DANG!  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

B-Plus

Yes, there is a point during it where you wonder what in the hell you were thinking.  lol  

I got that feeling about 1/2 mile into my last 5k, but likely because I was going at mile race pace like a damn moron.