Beginners and Beyond

Light It Up, Penguins, It's Friday! (Read 22 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Two weeks till Christmas...Let the Holiday Lights Shows begin!

Gail finally admitted she was sick - after a week of misery - so I made an appointment for her on Thursday and took her to the doc.  Had to postpone my planned after work run for a bit,  but that's okay....Gail is worth more than a run... 

After we got home, THEN I changed into my running gear to do a little jaunt around the neighborhood.  Went in to tell Gail I was going, but she had already crawled into bed and zonked out.  Our latest family addition, Sinatra T. Siamese, was lying beside her, watching over her....

He was not thrilled with me waking him up...gave me a look, lol...

So I headed out for my run round the hood.  Since it was beginning to get dark, I took my camera with me and got some photos of some of the holiday lights the neighbors had put up.   I ended up with 4 miles total run/walk on my timer, but was actually out there a bit longer, since I stopped my timer each time I took some photos, and then started it once more when I was running again, so I'd get my complete run/walk time in.   My camera is not the best for night shots, but I think you can make out most of the lights, etc.

My neighbor's house, right across the street from me.  This photo really does not do it justice....there is enough light glowing from her house to see a dime on the street in the middle of the night, lol.

Up the street a bit from where I live...

And around my neighborhood I went...

We don't have snow where I live (thank goodness!) and when I did this run/walk  between 6 and 7 pm the temp was 70 degrees, so I was running in shorts and a singlet.  Definitely not 'winter' weather, lol.   Even so, lots of folks in the snow-free parts of Texas (it does actually snow up in the Panhandle area and North Texas, and parts of East Texas) try to get into the spirit with their holiday lights.  It was a very nice outing.

Show the lights in YOUR neighborhood!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

on my way to badass

Good Friday Penguins! Nice lights Scotty! Some miles on the treadmill for me, then baking and housework.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

PADRunner

Morning, 4 this morning done.

Beautiful pics Scotty! I just love the Christmas Spirit and pretty lights.

Ran my holiday steak mile then onto my leg workout. A couple days ago, I spent time entering my training plan into my RA account. Wow! Sure makes it easy to record my workouts and really keeps me accountable. I'm a checklist kind of gal, so the training plan suits my style.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Robert31320

Team TJ

3.3 miles done at 5am in 28*

Running for TJ because he can't.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  4 and weights this afternoon before I head to the Trans Siberian Orchestra concert.

Scotty, Awww.  When did you guys get the Siamese?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Tonight I get to go home at a normal hour and STAY THERE, all night tonight and all day tomorrow, and I can't wait!!  DH is making nachos for dinner and it's going to be all kinds of wonderful just to have some down time.  Sunday morning is my choir's Christmas cantata, and then Sunday evening the youth are doing a dinner theater, apparently they're putting on the Grinch this year.  Should be fun!

Scotty -- nice light show!!  Hope Gail feels better soon!  There's a house at the end of our street that has an inflatable of Santa riding a green motorcycle.  Unfortunately the tires on the motorcycle are black, so the first time I saw it at night, I said, "WHAT is Santa doing to that ELF???"  So now DH and I call it Obscene Santa.

Stone -- enjoy the miles, baking, and housework!  (I'd enjoy the baking ...)

PAD -- woo-hoo for your four!!

Kathleen -- Steak mile, yummy!!  

Robert -- eek, that's cold!!  Good for you getting it done!!

Docket -- ooh, enjoy TSO!!  Oh, and the miles and weights too.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - lovely lights in your neighborhood.  Walking Ben at night this time of year is always fun, seeing what folks put up.  We don't have any really fancy decorations on our street, mostly just white lights and lit reindeer. Next week the local running club does its annual Christmas light run which I hope to join for once.  Five miles of Christmas decorations in town followed by hot chocolate.

SF - making Christmas cookies?  I hope the TM miles went well.

PAD - is your race tomorrow or Sunday?  Good luck.

Kathleen - Good job getting your schedule set.I don't really like following a plan closely.  I just figure how many miles I want to do for the week, and fit the miles in somehow. I should be more disciplined, but I like the freedom to just go by mood.

Robert - good job on the very early run.  That's cold for your part of the world.

Damaris - I haven't heard them for years.  Enjoy the concert.

AFM:  probably a minimal day here.  Two or three miles will do.

PADRunner

Ginny, it's Sunday. Looks like the rain may hold off till afternoon.

obiebyke

Scotty, that cat is so cute! I love the stink eye when you wake them up and they're all grumpy and groggy.

SRD for me.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Scotty, fun pics.  Hope Gail is feeling better today.

Jack, hope you are staying dry and mud-free!

Kathleen, Robert & PAD - nice running this morning.

SF, are you still streaking?

HopesMom, nachos for dinner are my favorite!

Ginny, I prefer to wing it, too. I am already totally not sticking to my plan. Sad

Damaris, have fun at the concert.

Obie, enjoy the rest day!

AFM - pouring down rain here.  I'm so glad I got that double in yesterday - I ran 4.4 yesterday afternoon and am counting it as this morning's run while I stay warm & dry. Smile

So without airing my whole medical history in a public forum...I noticed something last week which alarmed hubby & me enough to try to get into the oncologist's office that day.  When that was unsuccessful I called my primary care provider who had a same-day appointment available.  She ordered a test which I'm having done this morning.  I'd appreciate prayers, good thoughts, whatever you want to send my way.  Dr Google tells me there's a 96% chance it's nothing. Big grin

Oh!  But today is not all bad!  My son comes home tonight!!

hog4life

Scotty, I love your cat!

After my run on Wednesday that sucked so bad, last nights run felt like a million bucks. I got 10.4 and probably could have keptgoing.

Docket_Rocket

Good thoughts sent your way, Brilliant!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Brilliant, good thoughts and prayers that all is ok.