Beginners and Beyond

Anyone feel like looking at my training plan and giving feedback? *Updated* (Read 132 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I know I am thinking very "big picture" here....but that is how my brain likes to process things, and that is always my best motivator. So the "big picture" of my 2013 is that I have registered for my first half marathon which will be on October 12th. I have not picked out a plan to train specifically for my HM yet (that training will start in July), but I have put together a training plan to take me from next week until mid-June (to get myself ready to start a HM training plan) that I would like some feedback on.

My History: Occasional run/walking until summer of 2012. Then trained for an October 2012 5K using the Hal Higdon Novice 5K plan (8 week plan, has 3 runs per week, peaking at 8 miles per week, one 3 mile run, one 2 mile run, one 3 mile run). After my 5K race, I signed up for a 10K 9 weeks later, and began the Hal Higdon Novice 10K plan (also an 8 week plan, 3 runs per week, begins basically where the Novice 5K starts off- 1st week is 7.5 miles, and builds to a peak of 10.5 miles with a 3 mile run, a 2 mile run and a 5.5 mile run).

I ran 2 5Ks in the fall, with a PR of 33:33, and a 10K in December with a time of 107:47. Unfortunately, I got injured (ITBS) 2 weeks after my 10K. The last month has focused on healing the injury and preventing it from coming back (icing, foam rolling, ibuprofen, cross training on elliptical and bike to keep up my cardio, some long walks outside, stretching, yoga, and strength training specific to hips, glutes, and quads). I think I am ready to run again. I am aware this whole spring training plan will be shot to hell if the injury is not in fact healed, but I like to have a plan anyway. So I made a plan that would go from February 10th to mid-June.

The Plan: My overall goal of this entire spring training plan is to A) build back up my mileage post-injury, and then B) continue to build up the mileage to put myself in a better mileage position to begin training for my first HM in October. I would need to begin training in July, and this current plan takes me to min-June. However, I have several spring races on the schedule that I would also like to do well in, while building up my mileage slowly over the next 5 months.This schedule culminates in a 10 mile race on June 16th.  I also  have on the schedule 2 5Ks, a 10K, and a 5 miler. What I did is adapt the Hal Higdon 10K Novice plan, and then tag on the Hal Higdon HM Novice 1 plan. I like the HM Novice 1 plan better to train for my 10 mile race than his 15K/10-miler Novice plan, personally (they're not much different but the HM plan builds more slowly to a long run of 10 miles, has a bit more mpw, and calls for doing some racing during training). I decreased the mileage of some of the midweek runs just slightly to avoid big jumps in weekly mileage. My exact plan is now laid out in my log under "Training Plans." Ignore the fact that I didn't use the log on this site other than logging like 2 runs in November.

If someone is bored enough, do you mind taking a look and letting you know what you think? Do you think this plan will put me in a decent place to begin HM training in July? My goal for my first HM will be to finish, I don't have any specific time goal as of now.

If anyone takes the time to do this I would be very, very, appreciative!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Village people

Your log on RA? It isn't public or maybe only I can't see the graph under your name?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Your log on RA? It isn't public or maybe only I can't see the graph under your name?

HA! Thanks....oops it was set to "private" as a default. I hadn't really used it up to this point, or asked anyone to look at it, so I didn't notice that it was private. Fixed it.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'll try to take the time later to look at the plan in detail, but on first glance just reading through your post, I think you're being more ambitious than is good for you. You're coming off an overuse injury yet want to be ready for a HM by fall with a mid-June 10-miler along the way. I'd suggest concentrating more on a slower build up using a plan that doesn't rely so much on the weekend long run which Higdon's unfortunately do. Then aim for a good 10K in the fall with some 5Ks and 5Ms along the way.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I registered for the 10 miler and half marathon before I got injured.... and they were expensive...

I'll try to take the time later to look at the plan in detail, but on first glance just reading through your post, I think you're being more ambitious than is good for you. You're coming off an overuse injury yet want to be ready for a HM by fall with a mid-June 10-miler along the way. I'd suggest concentrating more on a slower build up using a plan that doesn't rely so much on the weekend long run which Higdon's unfortunately do. Then aim for a good 10K in the fall with some 5Ks and 5Ms along the way.

Docket_Rocket

Your story looks similar to mine (with the exception of the injury).  When I decided to increase mileage after years of running 1-4 miles, I used HH's plans.  And when I planned on increasing the base, I used HH as a base on how to increase properly.  I think you should plan on doing the 10K and the 15K plan he has on the website to help guide you on that quest through June.  I used HH's Intermediate HM plan for my first and I surpassed my goal by 15 minutes.

Looking at your log, what I don't like is the 3 runs a week.  Why not start adding a 4th day?  Start at 1-2 miles and go from there.  Something like Week 1 - 1 mile

Week 2 - 1.5

Week 3 - 1.5

Week 4 - 2

etc.  A fourth day will help you a lot, especially once you pass the 6 mile LR (as you don't have enough of a base to support the LR with only two more runs per week).

Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The HH Novice 1 HM does have an option for a 4th mid-week run. I am not sure if adding it would be making me more or less prone to re-injury?

Your story looks similar to mine (with the exception of the injury).  When I decided to increase mileage after years of running 1-4 miles, I used HH's plans.  And when I planned on increasing the base, I used HH as a base on how to increase properly.  I think you should plan on doing the 10K and the 15K plan he has on the website to help guide you on that quest through June.  I used HH's Intermediate HM plan for my first and I surpassed my goal by 15 minutes.

Looking at your log, what I don't like is the 3 runs a week.  Why not start adding a 4th day?  Start at 1-2 miles and go from there.  Something like Week 1 - 1 mile

Week 2 - 1.5

Week 3 - 1.5

Week 4 - 2

etc.  A fourth day will help you a lot, especially once you pass the 6 mile LR (as you don't have enough of a base to support the LR with only two more runs per week).

Good luck!

Docket_Rocket

If you can add it safely, it will make you LESS prone to injury.  Why not add the miles as recovery runs to begin with?  IMO, you'll be more prone to injury if you run only 3 times a week and you extend your LR above 50% of your weekly mileage.  It does not have to be a 5 miler.  But an extra 2-3 miles will help you.  Just increase it carefully at the start and listen to what your body says.

The HH Novice 1 HM does have an option for a 4th mid-week run. I am not sure if adding it would be making me more or less prone to re-injury?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks! I was actually going to add a 4th run to my week the week after I started having ITB problems, so I kind of let that idea go. I'm able and willing to add a 4th day, but was just afraid it may be too much.

If you can add it safely, it will make you LESS prone to injury.  Why not add the miles as recovery runs to begin with?  IMO, you'll be more prone to injury if you run only 3 times a week and you extend your LR above 50% of your weekly mileage.  It does not have to be a 5 miler.  But an extra 2-3 miles will help you.  Just increase it carefully at the start and listen to what your body says.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A 4th or even a 5th day shouldn't make you any more injury prone if you adjust the mileage on the other days. They may even help you keep from getting injured as I suspect the culprit or at least contributing factor to injury is having one run much longer than all the rest with insufficient mileage to support it during the week.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thank you.

A 4th or even a 5th day shouldn't make you any more injury prone if you adjust the mileage on the other days. They may even help you keep from getting injured as I suspect the culprit or at least contributing factor to injury is having one run much longer than all the rest with insufficient mileage to support it during the week.

Love the Half

I saw two things that concerned me.  First is that you only have three runs per week.  If you will gradually increase to 4 or 5 days per week, you'll actually reduce your risk of injury because you can spread your mileage out a bit.  Moreover, you'll be able to run more mileage and thus you'll race better.  Second is that I didn't see any speed work other than racing.  I'm not sure of the logic behind "jog every day but go run as hard as I possibly can once in a while" as an injury prevention or as a performance enhancing measure.  I think some speed work during the week will help you  to run better races and reduce your risk of injury because you'll build strength and you won't be using the same muscles in the same way all the time.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks, LTH. You are the 3rd person to suggest adding a 4th or even 5th day.  I was scared this would make me more injury prone....I'm glad I asked! How would you recommend beginning speedwork? Would a fartlek once per week be a good start? Progressive run?

I saw two things that concerned me.  First is that you only have three runs per week.  If you will gradually increase to 4 or 5 days per week, you'll actually reduce your risk of injury because you can spread your mileage out a bit.  Moreover, you'll be able to run more mileage and thus you'll race better.  Second is that I didn't see any speed work other than racing.  I'm not sure of the logic behind "jog every day but go run as hard as I possibly can once in a while" as an injury prevention or as a performance enhancing measure.  I think some speed work during the week will help you  to run better races and reduce your risk of injury because you'll build strength and you won't be using the same muscles in the same way all the time.

Zelanie

Not to sound like a broken record, but I would agree with adding a day once you feel comfortable running again.  You could even go from 3 days a week to every other day as a sort of a bridge just to get a sense for how it feels without having to do back to backs right away.

What I've found works for me is to not have my long run be a lot longer than my regular distance.  So my LR has increased fairly slowly, I think, compared to what others do or compared to my miles per week.  But it seems to be when my LR is significantly longer than my other runs that I start to feel uncomfortable.  That's actually my main beef with Higdon's plans.

Good luck to you!

Love the Half

There are all kinds of things you can do to start adding some speed to your routine and you never have to go to a track. No matter what you do, you should be uncomfortable by the end.  Not like you are at the end of a race but you shouldn't be enjoying it by the time you finish.  I like to finish thinking that I could have done one more set or one more repeat or one more whatever but I'm damn glad I don't have to.  Here are a few suggestions.

1.  Fartleks.  Run fast for 30 seconds, then jog for 3 seconds then run fast for one minute then jog for 30 seconds then run fast for 2 minutes then jog for 30 seconds, then repeat the cycle.  You can do endless variations of this. I frequently use blocks.  Run fast for a block, jog for a block, fast for 2 blocks, jog for 2 blocks, fast for 3 blocks, jog for 3 blocks, etc.  I might work up to 5 blocks and then work my way back down.  Invent your own routines.

2.  Strides.  You should do these twice a week.  Over a distance of 100-150 yards, gradually accelerate from a jog to a very fast - 80-90% of all out - run and then gradually decelerate back to a jog.  Jog until you feel ready to do another one.  Start with 3 or 4 of these and work your way up to 7 or 8.  Alternatively to putting these at the end of a run, I always do 3-4 strides before I begin any speed work just to prime my legs for faster running.

3.  Fast Finish.  Finish the last 1/4 of a run significantly faster than the first 3/4.  This should be fast enough to be fairly unpleasant as the point is to simulate maintaining a hard effort at the end of a race.

4.  Progression runs.  The problem most people have with progression runs is that they don't start them easy enough.  Start them very, very easy.  Think of four efforts throughout the run.  First 1/4 very easy.  Second 1/4 easy.  Third 1/4 moderate.  Final 1/4 fairly hard.

5.  Tempo runs.  Jog a mile to warm up.  Then run 2 miles fairly hard.  Not really hard but fairly hard.  Jog a mile to cool down.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).