Bayshore Marathon

How is training going? (Read 527 times)

Marathonmanleto

Two week taper works for me. Anymore and I start to feel lazy. We are so geared towards daily runs that are pretty long and often stressful that by only making small adjustments we give our bodies a chance to recover. The key is active recovery while keeping your foot on the gas a little. By taking off too much it gives our bodies a false sense of security and it begins to regress. Does that make sense?

Hail to The Victors!

Two week taper works for me. Anymore and I start to feel lazy. We are so geared towards daily runs that are pretty long and often stressful that by only making small adjustments we give our bodies a chance to recover. The key is active recovery while keeping your foot on the gas a little. By taking off too much it gives our bodies a false sense of security and it begins to regress. Does that make sense?
      Agreed. I'm trying the middle ground this time. I'm running the first six days much like I normally would, except for the long run, which will only be 17 miles, not 20. Not quite a taper, but close enough. 2.5 weeks to go! Boy this is coming up fast.
        That makes sense. I'm not an every day runner, I'd like to be but some days it actually adds stress trying to fit in a run. When the kids are a little older I'll have more free time so I don't push it now. With that in mind I think that a two week taper is just fine. With my last twenty miler this Sunday and then a long run of 15 on the 15th. The week prior I'll do a couple 6 milers and then two days before maybe just a 3 miler. I think that would work for me. Undecided What I hate are the little pains that pop up for no obvious reason. Today should have been a run day, but I have a shin pain that comes and goes and it's been bad today so I've been icing. Usually a day or two off with icing and it's back to normal. During those days off I find that my energy level soars. Today is day two off from running and I've been boucing off the walls! It's been good for work though, I got a lot done without feeling the stress too badly! Big grin This means that I'll run tomorrow, Thursday, Friday - off on Saturday and then my long run on Sunday. Not the mileage I wanted but that's okay.

Michelle

Another Passion

Our final long run was this morning. Ten miles, longest run for Tammy since she has been running. There was some fatigue and pains and self-doubt about the half, but she will have no trouble, which I reassured her of. Good overall pace for her as well at 10:22 with the fastest the final mile at 10:08. She did great! Plus, it was windy as can be this morning which adversely affected about half of our run. Not really sure what kind of running plan to do for the next couple of weeks. It will be easy, but like Joe said, I don't want to back off too much. I also don't think a taper matters as much for a half, especially when we aren't really going to be "racing" it.

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tammy is going to do GREAT! I can't wait to see you guys at the finish...I just wish I could actually SEE you finish. I have a feeling I won't be seeing anyone finish. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hail to The Victors!

Our final long run was this morning. Ten miles, longest run for Tammy since she has been running. There was some fatigue and pains and self-doubt about the half, but she will have no trouble, which I reassured her of. Good overall pace for her as well at 10:22 with the fastest the final mile at 10:08. She did great! Plus, it was windy as can be this morning which adversely affected about half of our run. Not really sure what kind of running plan to do for the next couple of weeks. It will be easy, but like Joe said, I don't want to back off too much. I also don't think a taper matters as much for a half, especially when we aren't really going to be "racing" it.
              Most training plans for the half suggest a half-week taper, say from Wednesday on for a Saturday race. Good luck, Rick! You guys are going to do great!
                Last long run was today. Nice and easy (let my running buddies pick the pace and I didn't argue!). Big grin

Michelle

Another Passion

Great, Michelle! Thanks Zoomy and Jeremy. I think she is going to do great as well. We'll keep up on the miles than through early next week, Jeremy. That's kinda what I had planned, though I have to take it easy as my rll was giving me grief after the 10 on Saturday. Something still isn't "right".

Rick

I must resist!!!! There is a 5k on Sunday that I've done in the past. It's super flat and fast and I want to run it again!!!! Undecided

Michelle

I have to take it easy as my rll was giving me grief after the 10 on Saturday. Something still isn't "right".
                      That's not good. Have you been icing?

Michelle

Another Passion

Resting, but not icing, Michelle. I know, I'm bad. Here's something I snapped the other day on southbound 75 in construction - go figure - (hard to take pictures and drive) for all you full runners:

Rick

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Resting, but not icing, Michelle. I know, I'm bad. Here's something I snapped the other day on southbound 75 in construction - go figure - (hard to take pictures and drive) for all you full runners:
                          That. is. awesome! Rick, tell that leg to behave...or else! Angry

~ Sarah Kay

Think Whirled Peas

Very cool photo!!!!! And DUDE...Rick. You gotta take care of that wheel, lest you end up running 13.1 miles in a teeny tiny circle 'cause you only got one good 'un... Wink Easy, peasy.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And DUDE...Rick. You gotta take care of that wheel, lest you end up running 13.1 miles in a teeny tiny circle 'cause you only got one good 'un... Wink
                              Gah, you gotta warn a girl before posting shit like that...I nearly shot hot coffee out my nose! Shocked

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

I am taking it easy, but like Michelle said, I should be icing and also stretching everyday and have not. Life just seems to get in the way. *sigh* Q, iffin I have to, I'll hop on my left leg the whole dayum race just to finish it with Tammy. Big grin

Rick