Bayshore Marathon

Saturday May 29, 2010 (Read 369 times)

Another Passion

We might leave the kids behind for next year. If that happens you can bet that I will stop by for some post race partying. We may even take our tavel trailer north and camp that weekend next year. Time will tell, but what I do know is that I will be running that race again. Cheers.

I seriously considered that this year and, were this race not on a holiday weekend and the travel north so crazy at such a time, I probably would have done it.  I didn't want the added stress though.  As it went, I was very pleased with our decision and thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated the hot tub at the hotel as did Tammy.

Rick
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I got my registration confirmation yesterday.  Now I just need to get in some fun winter miles.  This will be my first bayshore marathon.

MTA: My wife sent in her registration for the half yesterday.  As of 12/18, less than 300 spots available in the half marathon.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

Hail to The Victors!

I got my registration confirmation yesterday.  Now I just need to get in some fun winter miles.  This will be my first bayshore marathon.

MTA: My wife sent in her registration for the half yesterday.  As of 12/18, less than 300 spots available in the half marathon.

Yeah, I just heard that, I think I'm going to have to get on the ball if I'm going to do the half this year.

Marathonmanleto

Registered for the full yesterday.  Who else is in?

Hail to The Victors!

I'm thinking the 10K this year.  The wife has given her blessing, so it's a done deal if I want to.  I thought about the full briefly, but I don't know if I want to do a full 6 weeks after Boston.  It's certainly doable, but do I want to?

Marathonmanleto

Jeremy--do it!!  Use Boston as a training run.  You're not going to PR there anyway.  Bayshore is a PR race.  That's the ticket.

Another Passion

Good luck to any of you racing Bayshore this weekend!

Rick

KvnJns

Good luck to any of you racing Bayshore this weekend!

Good call Rick.  It's been very quite in here this year, I 'm guessing that there aren't as many from here that are running Bayshore this year.

But to those who are..................Good luck and HAVE FUN.

Kevin

Bayshore 2010 Race Report:

A week for Bayshore I developed anterior tibial tendonitis (self-diagnosed, but I am going to the PT next week to know for sure)  I originally was going to train through this marathon but the injury caused me to cut down mileage and take a few days off.  The night before the race I was questioning to even start because it hurt a little while walking at times and when I tried to run it definitely hurt.  I took some Ibuprofen the day before and on race morning (don't tell Trent) to keep down the inflammation.  I also iced my leg many times in the days leading up to the race.  This helped out a bit, but it was still hurting on race morning.

My original goal was to finish in the top 10 in this race and top 5 in my age group.  My new goal was to finish without hurting myself any worse.  I wrapped my leg in tape the morning of the race and that seemed to help a little, but it was pretty low quality tape and I had the feeling that once I started sweating a lot it wasn't going to keep sticking and would just become and annoyance.  So I decided to tear it off right before the start.  I had also come to the realization that my leg hurt the same amount whether I ran fast or slow, so I might as well run fast.  My goal remained to be in the top 10.

When the race started my leg hurt a little, but not as much as I expected.  I positioned myself around 9th or 10th place after the first mile and felt pretty good.  Maybe I felt too good because I ran the first mile in 5:56.  My goal was to run around 6:10 miles, because that is what I thought it would take to be in the top 10.  The next few miles were all in the low 6:00 range, but I was starting to feel a little sluggish.  I often feel that way after taking a day or two off, but it could have also been that it was relatively warm (low 60s?)  My jersey was drenched in sweat after about 4 miles.  I probably shouldn't have worn it, but it is my jersey from Albion College and I always get some extra cheers from people who either went there or actually know where the hell it is.

The marathon is an out and back course and I started seeing the half marathoners a little before mile 9.  I saw my wife Jen somewhere between 9 and 10 miles for me and between 3 and 4 miles for her.  She was looking pretty good (and she was running fast also) and was pretty close to the front.   She was running sub 8:00 pace.  My leg felt great at this point and all the pain was gone.  The fact that it got better as I kept running leads me to hope that it will be a quick recovery. 

All of my miles were good until mile 13, which is the only tough hill I remember.  It's out in the sun and it's the steepest hill on the course.  That mile was about 30 seconds slower than all the others.  Despite running a 1:19:59 for the first half, I was in 15th place and there was only one other runner in site of me.

On the way back I got my pace back down but my hamstring started to tighten up.  In my treatment of my lower leg, I had neglected doing some of my other stretches.  It really started to hurt and I tried jamming my fingers into my back and piriformis in an attempt to to loosen it, which is where the tightening was really starting.  It worked a little, but not enough.  It the next few miles I had to stop and stretch a couple of times.  I got passed by a couple of guys because of this but I had also passed a couple others who had to start walking.

After mile 17 I knew I wouldn't be running in the top 10.  I just tried to focus on good form and keep a reasonable pace.  All of my miles were under 7:00 except for 1, and that was one of the miles where I stopped to stretch for about 30 seconds.  I just felt like I was out of energy, despite taking gatorade and GU. 

From mile 21 to mile 25 seemed like an eternity.  Saying "good job" and getting cheered by the half marathoners as I went by them helped to motivate me a little.  I got passed by one more guy in the last mile.  Also in the last mile the course is down to one lane.  As we are coming around a corner there is a woman being taken to an ambulance on a stretcher.  Well, the 2 half marathoners ahead of me come to a complete stop to see what is happening and I almost ran one of them over.  I was able to put my hand out and put my hand on one of their backs to slow me down enough that we didn't both end up on the pavement.

The finish is on the track and I was able to have a pretty good finish.  I was told later that the guy who finished just ahead of me got cut off by two half marathoners who decided they were going to hold hands as they crossed the line.  Of course they didn't look back before crossing two lanes of the track and bumped into him.  He almost fell over, but luckily stayed on his feet and finished.  I came through at 2:47:10 and 16th place overall, 6th in my age group.  So I was a little disappointed that I didn't reach my goal, but I was happy that I went for it (and didn't injure myself further)  I could have run a faster time if I hadn't gone out so fast, but I was more interested in place than time so it was important to put myself in that position.  The 10th place runner who was also 5th in my age group ran just under 2:42.  The only thing I could have improved would have been my first mile.  That definitely should have been about 15 seconds slower.  That could have made a big difference, but with my hamstring tightening the way it did I still would not have been in the top 10.

Jen and I had a great experience.  We went downtown for lunch and did some wine tasting and purchasing.  Today we will head out to beach and go for a walk, maybe let our legs soak in the water a bit, shop downtown, and see what else pops up.  My sister and her in-laws are in town also.  Her father-in-law also ran the marathon and her sister-in-law ran the half.  At one of the wineries yesterday, one of the servers had also run the half. 

I would definitely recommend this race to anyone interested in a quality event.  It sounds like they are interested in expanding the field.  My only worry is the out and back with the half marathoners.  There is some talk about making it a loop course, where runners would come back on the other side of the peninsula.  I think this would help.  Or maybe they could start the half and full at the same time so that it takes a faster marathoner much longer to catch them and they will be more spread out.  I'm not sure what my racing schedule will be next year, but if I do a spring marathon, it will probably be this one!

MTA: We went to the pasta dinner at the school the night before.  This was a quick and easy way to get a pre race meal, and the money went to the local high school track team.  They had all kinds of good homemade deserts.  Plus, registration is right there so it's very convenient.  I would definitely do this again next year.

Oh, and a sarcastic "thank you" to the cute little girl who gave my wife a popsicle during the race yesterday.  Because of you, my wife wants to have kids.

Another Passion

I'd say that's a pretty awesome race and finish considering your physical state going into it, Rick.  Congratulations!  This is an awesome event for any of you who have not been.  Definitely worth putting on the "must race" list.  Hope you're no worse for wear having raced it, Rick.  Good luck in your recovery and great job!

mta:  correcting typos.  Doh!

Rick

Thank you for the kind words.  Unfortunately I am a little worse for wear.  I went to the doctor today and the x-rays show a stress fracture around my tibia.  No running for at least 6 weeks.  This will put a kink into my summer training plan.

corland

Damn Rick.  Sorry about the bad news. 

Helluva of a run though, maybe some well deserved rest!

Hail to The Victors!

Thank you for the kind words.  Unfortunately I am a little worse for wear.  I went to the doctor today and the x-rays show a stress fracture around my tibia.  No running for at least 6 weeks.  This will put a kink into my summer training plan.

I'm feeling you, man.  I'm in my second week of six down because of my own stress fracture, and I'm ready to GO!  I want to run NOW!

Hope you get well sooner than 6 weeks..  Hope you can easily cross train?