The Bike Shop

I need a book (Read 21 times)

Village people

I could ask you guys all my stupid questions, but a good book would save you some hassle. Any recomendations for a basic cycling book? I have one, The Complete Book of Long DistAnce Cycling. My kids are on vacation, so I have only skimmed it. I am not sure if it was a good purchase. Any other suggestions?

I am enjoying my bike. I get out on it most days for about 50 minutes, in between buses. I have kids in middle school, highschool and elementary school. They finish at different times and my older daughter watches my DD who is four while i ride. I have a routine. Main roads scare me, but once the gravel is gone from the winter, it will be better and I will go for longer ride.

Oh, I love pedalling down hills and switching gears.

Slo

DJ

Ask away.

I'm not aware of a "basic cycling book".

Fall in love with pedaling uphill. Spend time pushing a big gear. Far to many riders are content with a fast spinning cadence.

patarch1

New Haven 08

Hi,

I just finished It's All About the Bike: The Pursuit of Happiness on Two Wheels [Robert Penn].

Despite what some critics say, it is not too technical and is a formidable repository of historical facts and knowledge about bikes. Each  reference can be later explored and more can be learned.

Other reads: The Lost Cyclist: The Epic Tale of an American Adventurer and His Mysterious Disappearance [David Herlihy]. Beware of this one, you might go on an adventure as soon as you finish it. By adventure, I mean something far greater than what Bilbo did.

The Memory of Running [Ron McLarty] is quite entertaining and almost a tear dropper.

Lastly, Slaying the Badger: Greg LeMond, Bernard Hinault, and the Greatest Tour de France [Richard Moore] is a part of cycling history. 

All those books made me get up and ride more with each time a better understanding of what I was doing.

I hope it helps.

Patrick

200 mile bike trip in three days with sleeping gear and change.

Get the Saturday running club back up.

Run below 8 minutes per mile for 6 miles.

DJ,

What type of information are you looking to gain from the book(s)?

Is it history of cycling?

Is it safety while cycling?

Is it maintenance of your bike?

Is it physics of cycling (bike gearing, human power)?

Is it proper nutrition for cycling?

--

After I got to understand the basics of safety on the road, I wanted to understand the maintenance of the bike and the gearing combinations.

I had a decent understanding of gears from my past life with my son racing gocarts,and finally understanding that a 48 front gear with a 12 back gear (4.0 gear ratio) meant that 1 complete revolution of my pedal meant that my rear tire went around 4 times.  Why that matters, I don't know.  But I did gain a better understanding of gear ratios and how to shift gears to 'optimize' a given gear shift based on upcoming terrain.

(I just went to the library and found a couple of books that had pretty decent pictures, very few words, and lots of charts) Smile

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Village people

I should take a trip to the library.

Basic gear shifting stuff. I don't want to break my bike. I live on a hilly street and I shift often, but sometimes it doesn't sound right.

Safety. I have been reading state laws but I would like to venture off my street and ride some flatter routes.

Eventually, I would like to understand how it all works and some maintenance.

I am trying to balance running and riding. I want to get the most out of both.

I should take a trip to the library.

Basic gear shifting stuff. I don't want to break my bike. I live on a hilly street and I shift often, but sometimes it doesn't sound right.

Safety. I have been reading state laws but I would like to venture off my street and ride some flatter routes.

Eventually, I would like to understand how it all works and some maintenance.

I am trying to balance running and riding. I want to get the most out of both.

Here is some info on bike building and setup that should give you an idea of the components and how the work. Its a free download. http://www.flocycling.com/buildabike.php

For the shifting, you need to lighten the pedal stroke a little when you shift to take some of the tension of the chain and cogs. You will most likely need a minor tune up after a break in period to readjust the cables. Most LBS's will do that for free if you bought your bike from them.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life