The Bike Shop

Time Trial aka Tri Bike (Read 15 times)

Slo

In Zoomy's other thread about converting a road bike to TT I made a comment about how I would like to see the TT bike go away...for the most part.

Here are my thoughts, as unorganized as they may come out. Warning: Heavy doses of personal opinion to follow.

Standing in my LBS one day I was looking over a brand new Cannondale Slice fully outfitted that had just been assembled for a customer. Another customer in the store was admiring the same bike. he looked at me and said..."I bet this bike is fast!" It took all the control I had not to respond with what I'd like to have said and simply replied with a "yeah".

Point one...Bikes are not fast, Riders are Fast...and Fast is relative.

Outside of wide Handlebarred, single speed, fat tired beach cruisers...if there were ever a single purpose bike it is the TT bike.

That's kinda my first issue with the bike. Not that it's designed to do one thing and do it well, It's that a good percentage of the buyers of this bike don't fully know what they are buying. They drank the koolaid so to speak. All the cool kids have one.

Now if you like the sleekness, the stealthyness, the high priced parts and pieces and don't care that this bike will never ever be able to be converted to something else...have at it. If you are a Pro / Elite Triathlete and you are competing at that level in Half Iron distance and full Iron distance...go for it. If you are a Cat 1 or 2 cyclist running in TT's you gotta have it.

For the recreational athlete, I believe that there is very little the TT bike can offer you. Now, some of this is based on my own personal experience and the world I lve in.

TT bike builds are actually heavier than their road bike counter parts. With the forward seat angle they are inefficient climbing machines, the wheel base and frame geometry sacrifices a vast amount of handling. To ride in the aero position takes hours of saddle time to strengthen the right area's so you can stay in the areo position over longer periods of time. Someone who rides recreationally will discount the bikes gains every time he needs to shift his position because of discomfort.

For the recreational athlete wanting to do triathlons I would recommend a road bike over a TT every time. In your run of the mill sprint and oly distance events, the advantage of the TT is almost negligible. Sometimes the TT bike can be a disadvantage based on the route if handling (cornering) and or hill climbing is involved. In the 2013 Time Trial of the Tour, Several riders opted for road bikes over a TT and the winner actually switched bikes 2/3rd of the way thru the race to take advantage of what both bikes had to offer

A road bike offers so much more in terms of usability, cost of operating and joy of riding. If you can afford two bikes that's great but I'd love to see the 2nd bike be a Cross, MTB or commuter rather than a TT...they are certainly more useful. And fun.

TT bikes sacrifice comfort, handling, and climbing for the ability to be more areo dynamic and "faster" on straight to winding, flat to rolling well maintained roads. -by yourself-  A pace line will always be faster than a TT bike.

If I want or need the aero I can come much closer to converting my existing road bike into a TT machine than a TT machine can ever come to duplicating a road bike.

So I don't wish they would go away...I think they serve a function and going fast over a long stretch is fun - I just don't think it's a bike for the masses.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is kind of what I've been thinking.  Because we're in a position to get a screaming deal on a TT bike...that's really the only reason I'd seriously contemplate one (and I already have a road bike, CX bike, 29er, fat bike, tandem...).  But it would definitely be a bike that is only useful riding solo and on race days.  And I don't ride solo very often at all.  This year I will have done 6 races where they could be useful, but all but one of these races are sprint distance.  The oly is the only place where it would likely make a major difference and that course is mostly flat.  If I did most of my training miles solo I'd probably be more inclined to seriously consider it.  We aren't very hilly right where I do most of my riding (this was not the case where I previously lived).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slo_Hand.   I think I agree with almost everything you said, and I like how you wrote it Smile.  But I do love my TT bike.

Zoomy.  I got a "screaming deal" / steal on my TT bike (maybe similar to what you're able to get with your bike shop).  I had to make a huge lie on my "equipment" when entering it into RunningAhead when I stated the price I paid for my TT bike.

I do like to ride solo and I use the time to meditate.

I prefer to have my eyes fixed on nature, the countryside and the sunrise rather than the ass of my neighbor / riding partner in front of me.  I don't necessarily want the pace line.
        Personal preference, I guess Smile

I tried to venture into the world of trail riding earlier this year to be more in tune with nature (haha).  On my 2nd or 3rd ride, I crashed going 0 mph going up a steep embankment, injured my knee, and I'm scheduled for surgery due to that injury next Wednesday.  I think I retired from that recreational vehicle.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I tried to venture into the world of trail riding earlier this year to be more in tune with nature (haha).  On my 2nd or 3rd ride, I crashed going 0 mph going up a steep embankment, injured my knee, and I'm scheduled for surgery due to that injury next Wednesday.  I think I retired from that recreational vehicle.

Awww...dude, I feel ya'.  It's been nearly 2 years since I've really done any single track.  My right wrist is still only maybe 80% functional on a good day.  It took me about 4 years after giving my left ankle a grade 2 sprain before I returned to trail running at all.  In 2 days I have a duathlon with a 5 mile trail run leg.  Just now I rolled that ankle on a giant green acorn.  Fuck.  I'm icing it and it's still runable, but I'm thinking this may be my sign to quit farting-around with trails after the race.  I may just have to suck it up and stick to predictable pavement.  I'm too damned fragile. 

I hope your surgery repairs things fully.  Messed up joints SUCK!!

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

I meditate when I run...I find it very difficult when I'm riding. Riding takes a fair amount of concentration, alone or in a group and I'd estimate that better than 60% of my riding is solo. I'm taking Monday off to ride...if all goes well I will hit close to 12 hours of saddle time solo.

As far as the MTB incident, it could have just as easily happened on any other bike in any other style of riding. I MTB for the challenge, the change of scenery, and the different type of fitness it takes. To date I've seperated both shoulders and one of those times was in a tri... I couldn't avoid a tossed water bottle in time...FWIW.

To each his own...I totally get why someone would want one and for the various (but few) reasons they would want one. But if I was the salesperson I'd give council before making the sale.

The other thing...and Zoomy can relate to this...Biking for me is a lifestyle and a culture. It's art, life, pain and happiness on two wheels. My perspective on bikes is much much more than a peice of recreation or fittness equipment.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The other thing...and Zoomy can relate to this...Biking for me is a lifestyle and a culture. It's art, life, pain and happiness on two wheels. My perspective on bikes is much much more than a peice of recreation or fittness equipment.

Completely.  I can say this about my running shoes most days, too.

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

Completely.  I can say this about my running shoes most days, too.

I can toss away running shoes no problem but I do grow emotionally attached to my bikes.

I meditate when I run...I find it very difficult when I'm riding. Riding takes a fair amount of concentration, alone or in a group and I'd estimate that better than 60% of my riding is solo. I'm taking Monday off to ride...if all goes well I will hit close to 12 hours of saddle time solo. 

I ride on country roads without any traffic (like zero cars).  I find it very easy to lose myself within the ride and solve the worlds problems (and my own).  It's a very relaxing sport even when rolling along at full speed.  It's like driving a car at 140bpm.

I'm not sure whether you're comparing or contrasting the "biking for me" comment.  I think I would say the same thing, but I know that your lifestyle and culture is different from mine.  I'd also venture to guess that it's different from zoomy's.  I would probably say that "activity for me is a lifestyle and a culture" rather than "biking for me...".  And I would agree with your last statement as well

I'm taking Monday off to ride...if all goes well I will hit close to 12 hours of saddle time solo.

That's badass!  Best wishes.  Enjoy!  How many miles do you plan to do?  Are you going to a destination or are you riding a loop?

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I can toss away running shoes no problem but I do grow emotionally attached to my bikes.

I grow attached to specific models of shoes when they are discontinued and replaced with something I end up not loving.  There will never again be another NB 902 or Nike Free Run+ 3.

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

I'm not sure whether you're comparing or contrasting the "biking for me" comment.  I think I would say the same thing, but I know that your lifestyle and culture is different from mine.  I'd also venture to guess that it's different from zoomy's. 

I'm not comparing nor am I contrasting...stating I guess.

Bikes and riding them consume a great deal of my time and thought...it's different than my active lifestlye. I'm a zealot when it comes to anything bike related. It's tough to describe but it is different than living an active lifestyle...Normally I average 50 - 70 miles a week running...still swim occasionally and of course ride. I am very much a part of the active culture here where I live but the biking part is different. It's a belief best described as religious. So unless your a zealot too...chancee are I'm coming from a different perspective when bikes are part of the conversation.

Mondays ride...I'd love to get 200 miles. That will depend on the route (hills), wind and what shape my legs will be in after Sundays ride. The primary objective is 12 hours of saddle time. The plan is 5 - 10 mins off the bike every 40 - 50 miles. So far the weather looks favorable.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mondays ride...I'd love to get 200 miles. That will depend on the route (hills), wind and what shape my legs will be in after Sundays ride. The primary objective is 12 hours of saddle time. The plan is 5 - 10 mins off the bike every 40 - 50 miles. So far the weather looks favorable.

So when are you going to come over here and do the One Day Ride Across MI?! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

So when are you going to come over here and do the One Day Ride Across MI?! Big grin

When is it?

I'm actually preparing to do th RAID, Ride Across Iowa in a Day. 335 miles

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Generally the 2nd Sat. in Aug.  This year it was the 9th, IIRC.  This year also had headwind the entire way...it was a hard 144 miles!!

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

Generally the 2nd Sat. in Aug.  This year it was the 9th, IIRC.  This year also had headwind the entire way...it was a hard 144 miles!!

I'm praying for a tail wind.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm praying for a tail wind.

It's really nuts how many easterly wind days we had this Summer.  That is really not typical and the tailwinds were always a selling point for ODRAM.  This year it looked like maybe as many as a third of the starters had their SAG vehicles drive them to the finish.  I was kinda envious by about the 100 mile point, even with some big dudes to draft behind.

~ Sarah Kay