The Bike Shop

I got my bike sensor to work just great, then realized....s^&$! (Read 309 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

My mom gave me a Trek 9i bike cadence sensor she had purchased a few years ago and never used. She thought it would come to use for me while using the new bike trainer I just got.

I got the thing set up just great - then realized....OH S^&$! - I don't want this on the FRONT wheel - I need it on the BACK wheel.

No worries, I set about to setting it up on the back wheel, but have come to a problem - I can't seem to figure out how to mount the sensor close enough to the magnet on the spoke. There is simply too much room.

Instead of messing with it more and losing the Zen I had achieved on my walk today, I decided to put the unit away for the evening and ask you, the experts, for your assistance.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What does the sensor look like (I tried to find it online...I wonder if it's branded Bontrager, nowadays)?  Does it have a little arm or piece that can be moved?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

It is a Trek Insight 9i

I know I'm dumb lately - work has fried my brain in ways I've never experienced. I'm sure this is super easy to do on the back tire - I just can't see it.

MTA: Link I posted didn't work. Owners manual is: <cite>www.trekbikes.com/pdf/owners.../06_Incite_9i_11i.pdf</cite>

If that doesn't work, look up Trek 9i incite and the owners manual pdf comes up right away....

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So the issue is only with the spoke magnet?  I wonder if you could purchase a stronger magnet.  Or maybe put something between the sensor and the chainstay to push it a bit closer to the spokes.  The only problem with that might be if you end up pushing it too far away from the sensor on the crank-arm.

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Yeah. On the front tire, I can easily mount the magnet and sensor and have no trouble with distance between. On the back wheel, it simply doesn't work - too much distance no matter where I seem to mount either. I may have to keep playing with it - again, I just didn't have the energy after work (presidential search and yet another bomb threat to a res hall) to mess with it too much. I only plan to use it when it is on the trainer. I just wear my Garmin on my wrist when I ride outside.

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah. On the front tire, I can easily mount the magnet and sensor and have no trouble with distance between. On the back wheel, it simply doesn't work - too much distance no matter where I seem to mount either. I may have to keep playing with it - again, I just didn't have the energy after work (presidential search and yet another bomb threat to a res hall) to mess with it too much.

Yeah, trying to get gadgets to work is often not a stress-free endeavor.  Just ask Derek about my Garmin issues the other night.  I was pretty damned annoyed by the entire endeavor, particularly because I didn't really want to ride indoors in the first place.

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

My mom knows I'm a total numbers dork. Plus, she wasn't using this (she bought it for herself originally). I'll keep playing with it. I think I can get it to work with a little "creativity." Wink

TRUST THE PROCESS

I think the speed sensor goes on the front tire only. The sending unit has to "see" the head unit so it has to be under it, mounted on the fork.

The incite 9 also has a cadence sensor that gets mounted to your chainstay and the magnet mounts to your crank.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think the speed sensor goes on the front tire only. The sending unit has to "see" the head unit so it has to be under it, mounted on the fork.

Ahhh...so can something like that not be used on a trainer?  I know DH doesn't have a computer that will work with the rear wheel, either.  Makes me love my FR 305 more every day.

~ Sarah Kay

It looks like you want to use your bike on the trainer and need the rear wheel for the distance recording.

What do you have for a Garmin? If its a 305 or better, you can buy the GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor and mount it. Thats what zoomy is using and so am I.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Ahhh...so can something like that not be used on a trainer?  I know DH doesn't have a computer that will work with the rear wheel, either.  Makes me love my FR 305 more every day.

Nope, but it will on my rollers.

MTA, just get another speed sensor from Garmin and let him use your 305.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Rollers scare me. Blush

~ Sarah Kay

Rollers scare me. Blush

I have mine set up next to the wall so I can lean against it to get going and when stopping. One thing I've found is that you have to go at a pretty good speed, like at least 15mph, or you end up weaving and riding off the side.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MTA, just get another speed sensor from Garmin and let him use your 305.

He has 0 interest in knowing all the #s.  He pretty much just guesstimates on his trainer miles.  I'm too anal to just make educated guesses. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I only have a Garmin 205 and not sure I could even attempt to justify a 305 at this time. This gives me a lot to think about though. I'm so glad a newbie like me has people like you for help!

TRUST THE PROCESS