The Bike Shop

I got my bike sensor to work just great, then realized....s^&$! (Read 309 times)

I only have a Garmin 205 and not sure I could even attempt to justify a 305 at this time. This gives me a lot to think about though. I'm so glad a newbie like me has people like you for help!

You may be able to get a cheap wired computer and mount it on the rear wheel, but I'm not sure if they have enough wire to reach. If you don't care if you can read it while biking, you could mount the head unit where ever you want and read the time/distance when you are done.

Now that I think about it, you could mount the head unit of your Incite 9 to the seat down tube and the sensor to the seat stay.

Go to a bike shop and see what they have.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Looked one more time at the box the bike computer came in because my poor mom was bummed it didn't work for me (she originally bought for herself) because her LBS told her it would work for her on the trainer on the back tire. Even the box says the following on the front : "Rear wheel mount wire (150cm)" (in both English and French!). It was pretty clear she was doing it on the trainer only - she switched our her hybrid rear wheel for a slick for quieter trainer use.

My thought at this point is to try to get creative this weekend and see if I can still make it work. I don't need to see the computer, per se, while biking. And if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work....

TRUST THE PROCESS

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Well, after doing some pricing, and given Amazon's new price of $130 for the FR305 and $178 with everything else for bike, think I will go that way. then can give the 205 to my mom. Smile

Merry xmas to me!

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sah-weet!  You will love it.  It's very handy, especially if you ever are interested in multi-sport events. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

It arrived at work today. Looking forward to installing it tonight.

TRUST THE PROCESS

It arrived at work today. Looking forward to installing it tonight.

Nice. Theres not much to install so it will be a snap. Make sure you turn the GPS off when you are on your trainer.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Okay, now I'm feeling really stupid. There is a sensor for the pedal, which apparently should be 5mm or less from the sensor unit (which is just a few mm from the spoke unit). The sensor "sees" the spoke, so feeling good there. One BIG problem - since I have a Trek Pure Lowstep, the back wheel is spread farther back - the pedal doesn't come close to the sensor, which is set towards the outside of the wheel.

Am I dead in the water using the bike I have? Or, am I misunderstanding what seems to be pretty simple directions?

(MTA: It seems to work. When I spin the tire, the 305 picks it up. What am I missing in terms of the need for the pedal magnet? Just cadence? I can live with that. I want to know distance while on the trainer)

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(MTA: It seems to work. When I spin the tire, the 305 picks it up. What am I missing in terms of the need for the pedal magnet? Just cadence? I can live with that. I want to know distance while on the trainer)

Yup, just cadence.  That's a bummer, but it's nice that you get the distance measurement.

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Hey, that's better than what I had before, which was a whole lotta nuthin'! I was beginning to think I had made a very big $200 mistake....and, when I get that road or cross bike sometime, I'll have the cadence sensor ready to go. Well, off to tighten up the ties and use the bike.

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, off to tighten up the ties and use the bike.

Woot! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Worked like a charm. Thanks all for helping me with my questions!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Dumb trainer question of the day - is it normal to see black tire rubber specs on the wall behind my trainer? Hadn't noticed this previously, but did hard and fast spinner workouts yesterday and today. And no, I didn't have the tension high or anything. Thanks for your help!

(MTA: assume it is tire residue as the tire is shinier where it touches the trainer)

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think generally this is a bad thing.  I haven't had that happen, though I was part of an indoor charity ride on trainers where a guy trashed a tired during the event.  I wonder if you could get a trainer-specific tire in the size for your bike.  What size tires do you require?

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

my bikes are 26x1.9.

Also, maybe when I sit my fat a$$ on the bike I put more tension on the trainer than I realize. I had never noticed this until I was flying fast in these last two workouts.

MTA: I just hate to change out the tires because I might want to go outside at some point. Who knows? I like options!

MTAx2: just emailed my LBS. They are closed today and tomorrow - hopefully will hear something on Tuesday.

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Try lowering the tension more (this is did's recommendation).

~ Sarah Kay