The Bike Shop

20 tips (Read 32 times)

Slo

Don't get hung up on the title of the article...I know, just more proof of my disdain for Triathletes but seriously, there are some pretty good points here that apply to many.

It's Bike to Work Week too BTW.

http://alisonstarnes.com/20-tips-on-how-to-be-a-triathlete-by-a-cyclist/

I'm not sure about #20 though.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like it!  And I will never understand the people who will cross-chain the hell out of their bikes simply to stay in the big ring.  I like all my gears!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Good blog post!

Great tips!

I don't think I could argue with any one of them, or even you, on this link Smile.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I like it!  And I will never understand the people who will cross-chain the hell out of their bikes simply to stay in the big ring.  I like all my gears!

I don't think most novice riders understand the gear ratios and the "left-right-right" combination to do gear changes.  For them, it's either "left" only or "right" only when shifting.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

just more proof of my disdain for Triathletes

It's Bike to Work Week too BTW.

http://alisonstarnes.com/20-tips-on-how-to-be-a-triathlete-by-a-cyclist/

I would like to see you race some local tri's and rock the cut off jeans, cotton tank top, a pair of Asics Tigers and riding an old steelie you have laying around. I bet you could podium.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

I would like to see you race some local tri's and rock the cut off jeans, cotton tank top, a pair of Asics Tigers and riding an old steelie you have laying around. I bet you could podium.

I did the tank top and tigers...We wore the run of the mill swim suits then changed into running shorts behind a tarp.

Actually BT...I'm doing two Sprint Tri's this year. One on my Pugsly and One on a Single Speed. I'm thinking the Pugsly will qualify for the "fat tire" category but probably not what they had in mind...The single speed will be on 700cc wheels so I'll have to suck it up on that one.

As far as gearing selection goes...one is all you need. Gears are over rated.

Here's Proof...http://transiowa.blogspot.com/

A 300+ mile gravel road race. 2nd finisher overall was my buddy Mark Johnson from Sterling Il...On a Single Speed.

Slo

Good blog post!

This gal is the real deal...Book mark her blog.

This gal is the real deal...Book mark her blog.

I'm now following her on Strava.....not sure that came aross right as it sounds a little creepy now that I read it

BTW, I love rule number 8 of the TransIowa race:

8: The primary race route must be followed at all times. No short cuts or alternate routes are permitted. If you do this, you are a retard and will be forced to help local farmers scoop poop!

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

Next year may be my year to do the Trans Iowa.

I just finished the first excerpt of one of my buddies race report on his blog. He was just 12 miles from the finish when he called it quits.

Read here...(not short) http://sconnyboy.blogspot.com/2013/05/trans-iowa-part-first.html

Another one dropped out the 2nd night aftr crashing because he fell asleep on his bike.

Village people

I am still kind of lost with gears.

some great stuff!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't think most novice riders understand the gear ratios and the "left-right-right" combination to do gear changes.  For them, it's either "left" only or "right" only when shifting.

I get it when new riders cross-chain--I still do that sometimes on my mountain bike, which is a triple and I have a tougher time glancing down to make sure that I'm not screwing things up--but I know very experienced riders who will doggedly stick to the big ring like it's some badge of honor.  Even my DH does this and taunts me when I spin...but I tend to be comfier at 80-90rpm than any slower.  And that's more "mashy" than I was even a year or two ago when I was comfier closer to 95.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay