The Bike Shop

New Components (Read 272 times)

I'm too cheap and stock for y'all.

I was excited to get a new chain that's clean on day 1.

Also, I ordered (and haven't yet received) new tires (Vittoria 320TPI).

I also got a replacement screw for the seat post water bottle holder that was cross threaded.

That's all Smile

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I hope that screw was at least titanium?

Geez, guys like you are going to bankrupt the triathlon equipment industry.

I'm too cheap and stock for y'all.

I was excited to get a new chain that's clean on day 1.

Also, I ordered (and haven't yet received) new tires (Vittoria 320TPI).

I also got a replacement screw for the seat post water bottle holder that was cross threaded.

That's all Smile

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xhristopher

I need a new seat since my road bike seat went to my CX bike and my POS tri bike seat went to the road bike after I replaced it with an overpriced Adamo.  I'm not in the mood to experiment so I'll probably just pick up another Specialized Toupe.

...and then the list goes on:

New front brake for the tri rig.

New base bars for the tri rig. (thinking Vuka Alumina)

New pedals for the tri rig (thinking Speedplay Zero)

New mtb/cx shoes

New 31.8mm stem and bars for my road bike to sharpen up the front end handling. (I built it up with old 26 mm bars.)

Torque wrench

REI dividend & coupon came so I picked up Speedplay Zeros (cro-mo) and Giro Gauge mtb shoes (clearance) for $97 bucks. That's the way to upgrade.

Can't wait for it to warm up.

I hope that screw was at least titanium?

Geez, guys like you are going to bankrupt the triathlon equipment industry.

The pressure was on from you, and I ordered new stuff....

I was told today that the first package is in the mail.

- gloves

- tire change kit "wallet style" for my pocket rather than a bulky one under my seat

- tires (yes, the same tires I referred to on 2/13....)

BUT, my next shipment in a couple of weeks will likely include Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL tires provided I have enough credit for my credit card and it gets approved. haha Smile.

(I didn't want to bankrupt the industry)

Life Goals:

How much you paying for those? I'm asking because I bought a set of Flo wheels and paid under a grand shipped to me. I've yet to ride them so I can't tell you how well they ride, but every review I've read have been possitive. They are the newer wide rimmed design similar to HED's and Zipp Fire-Crest rims.

BUT, my next shipment in a couple of weeks will likely include Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL tires provided I have enough credit for my credit card and it gets approved. haha Smile.

(I didn't want to bankrupt the industry)

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I bought a new-used fork for my tri bike early this spring. Its a Felt Bayonet SL that was available on the high end Felt DA and B2 Pro bikes. My bike is a Felt B2, not the pro, and I wanted the Bayonet steering system as it stiffens up the fornt end of these bikes. As a larger, clydesdale type triathlete, a stiffer front end seemed like a good idea. I couldn't justify spending about a 950.00 on a new Bayonet2 from Felt so I starting searching the classifieds and forums. They are size specific so it was not easy to find one for a 52cm frame but I finally came across a guy selling a yellow 2010 Felt B2R frame and fork that had a crack in the seat post of the frame. I talked him into selling me the fork and I got around to finishing and installing it yesterday.

Here is a "before" pic of the fork:

before 1

And "after" pics:

Also had a guy make me some custom lettering for it:

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

Ok

What happened to the yellow?

It appears the latter pics are with the 'new-used" fork installed.

Interesting set up...so there is no steerer tube or head set? My last tri-bike was a 2007 Quintana Roo Seduza and for the life of me I can't remember how the steering worked...I do recall being able to change the stack hieght so it must have been a tube and headset set up.

Ok

What happened to the yellow?

It appears the latter pics are with the 'new-used" fork installed.

Interesting set up...so there is no steerer tube or head set? My last tri-bike was a 2007 Quintana Roo Seduza and for the life of me I can't remember how the steering worked...I do recall being able to change the stack hieght so it must have been a tube and headset set up.

I sanded the yellow off of it very carefully, applied some new decals and sprayed a matte clear coat over it.

There is a steer tube but not a typical one. Felt was the first to use this system and several of the high end manufacturers are now using something similar. The stack and reach are adjustable, you just don'r need to remove, add spacers betwwen the headset and the stem with this sytem. The stems (which I have 4 different lengths) are splined and can rotate up or down to get the stack height you want and the reach is set by the different length sytems that are provided by Felt.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

Nice job on the finish of the fork. From the photo's you can't tell.

Interesting set up. Is the stem labled B2 with the 1" race replaceable?

How much you paying for those? I'm asking because I bought a set of Flo wheels and paid under a grand shipped to me. I've yet to ride them so I can't tell you how well they ride, but every review I've read have been possitive. They are the newer wide rimmed design similar to HED's and Zipp Fire-Crest rims.

BT, sorry, I didn't see your post response from March.

Before I answer it, though, great job with the new-used fork.  It looks great.

I got a pretty good deal on my wheels thanks to my brother in law and his bike shop.  I paid under a grand for them, and really don't remember how much they were, because I received a bunch of stuff and the total was $xyz.  I've only ridden them a few times, but they were fast and smooth.  Nice ride.

Life Goals:

Nice job on the finish of the fork. From the photo's you can't tell.

Interesting set up. Is the stem labled B2 with the 1" race replaceable?

I don't think it is. I didn't look at it that closely to see if it could be removed.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BT, sorry, I didn't see your post response from March.

Before I answer it, though, great job with the new-used fork.  It looks great.

I got a pretty good deal on my wheels thanks to my brother in law and his bike shop.  I paid under a grand for them, and really don't remember how much they were, because I received a bunch of stuff and the total was $xyz.  I've only ridden them a few times, but they were fast and smooth.  Nice ride.

After looking at your latest IM bike split, it appears they were money well spent........or was that bike split solely the product of the engine? Wink

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

or was that bike split solely the product of the engine? Wink

It's this and never forget that !

Last night I was sitting at my LBS waiting for closing time. (That's when the beers come out) There were a couple of people left in the shop. One was our the District Atty for our county who is training for his first IM. He's looking at a promotional picture of Chrissie Wellington standing next to the  Cannondal Slice that she rode in Kona..."That looks like a fast bike" he said.

Sorry Chrissie, I guess it is the bike.

I would agree that we are the engines.

Last year, I raced fully stock (Cannondale Slice 105s).

This year, I bought the wheels as well as a Lazer aero helmet.

I did have faster times this year in worse conditions with the same level of perceived effort, and I would attribute some of the faster time to the wheels and helmet, but I would also give much credit to my training consistency.

FWIW, last year, my bike time was decent (approx. 19.6mph), and along the way, I passed MANY people with great equipment that weren't performing.

MTA: For that reason, I was very hesitant to purchase the extra equipment, but BT told me I was "going to bankrupt the triathlon equipment industry" because I'm so cheap.  He cornered me into making the purchase Smile

I shared an elevator ride with guy at the hotel I was staying at that was about 30 - 35 years old that was in good shape that was leaving with his bike that had a disc wheel and fully decked out Cervelo P?.  I asked him his time, and he said 16:25:00.  It was a quiet ride in the elevator after that.... awkward moment in an elevator...

It's this [we are the engine] and never forget that !

Life Goals:

Slo

I'm just not convinced that all this high dollar equipment amounts to much.

I don't deny the aero advantage, I just think the difference it makes is for less than 2% of the entire Triathlete population. Unless you are a pro or competeing in your AG.

I'm trying to find it and when I do I'll post but the bike times and run times have not changed all that much in the last 15 years.

The first time you walk in the run you have just wasted all that money spent on the high dollar equipment. There is a much greater opportunity in the overall finishing times if the athlete prepared themselves to go the entire distance at "race" pace, I'm primarily talking about the run.

If aero was that much of anvantage don't you think Chrissy would cut her hair and wear a sperm helment? (this is both a sarcastic remark and statement)

It's the engine...The final results are a product of your training investment. The capital investment beyond an entry level bike, shoes and wet suit are practically null. In a 10 hour effort, even if equipment saved you 10 mins...thats only 1.6%.

For me personally, I don't have the raw talent to compete at the AG level. The $'s required to shave off a few minutes that are attributed to the equipment just isn't worth it to me to see my name a few spots higher on the finishers list.

In a local sprint tri I do did and can could compete at the AG level but the equipment advantge in a sprint distance is negligible...although you would have a hard time convincing some people of that.

Back to components...I have a basement full of components and love it. I am only a Left  Shimano 105 shifter away from being able to assemble a bike from stricly spare parts. The worst thing that has happened to me is a facebook page called midwest velo swap.

Here

Check out the posting on the LeMond Zurich.