The Bike Shop

How "Bike-Friendly" is your state? (Read 244 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MI is #16, though my home state of WI is #2.  Sure glad I'm not in 'bama.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

Iowa is #7....However the county I live in is close to last for the state which in theory puts me way down the list if my county were a state.

http://www.bikeiowa.com/asp/hotnews/newsdisplay.asp?NewsID=4519

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The greater Grand Rapids area (which I believe includes us) is ranked 36/50 most bike-friendly communities.  It is pretty nice to ride around here (except for all the damned chip-sealed roads).

My MIL and her fiance are doing RAGBRAI this year.  Someday that would be fun to do.  This year DH is helping organize the ODRAM (one day ride across MI).  That would be a neat goal and wouldn't take up a whole week, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That's an interesting list, thanks for posting it. I'm surprised that California is so low and that Santa Monica/Malibu/LA aren't listed, but Long Beach is. Riding in Los Angeles proper can be a pain, but there are a lot of areas where biking is amazing-Malibu (from experience), Palos Verdes (word of mouth) and the west valley (where a lot of top pro teams and triathletes ride, but I've yet to try it-hopefully soon).

Santa Monica is very bike friendly in terms of bike lanes (much more than NYC, which is #8), but it isn't a great place to train as it can be very stop and go, and, despite having so many lanes and signs, there are a lot of clueless drivers. Recently-I was at a light, in the bike lane in between the right turn and straight lanes, and had a woman yell at me for being in the middle of traffic. I was speechless and other cars around me rolled down windows to share their disbelief. 

I've done a bit of biking with my brother in the Boston area-there is certainly a lot more variety there and riding on roads feels a bit safer.

It looks like I need to travel (with bike) and experience some of these other areas.