The Bike Shop

On the road (Read 341 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

I RODE ON THE ROAD!!!!!!!!

Ok, so, I had this HUGE fear of bikes. Was on one twice in 16 years and both times only furthered my fear. Then I discovered bike polo - so I started riding so I could take a hand off the handle bar so I could swing a mallet... and it wasn't so bad and I thought well this is actually kinda fun. But I was doing it on a very safe bike path... so today I took myself out on the road!!!!

I did 8 miles - which doesn't sound like much to many I know, BUT IT WAS GREAT!!!! There were really big hills which kicked my butt but I didn't have to walk my bike. I had to make left and right hand turns - I signaled. I had to stop for stop signs and lights. I crossed over high way exits and everything.... And the best part was - I WASN'T SCARED!!!!!

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for letting me share!!!!! Big grin

MTA: um mapmyride confirmed I road further than what I thought! Time to change the gps battery!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yay!!!  Yeah, roads aren't so bad.  We're lucky to have lots of VERY quiet roads to our north, so there are times where I go for miles without seeing a single car.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Oh Mighty Wing

that's nice! I live on a major road leaving town!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

On the downside, our roads are often full of pot-holes and/or chip-sealed surface.  A cyclocross bike would be really nice around here and sometimes I wish I'd gone that route, instead of road bike.

~ Sarah Kay

Oh Mighty Wing

what's a cyclocross bike??

I have a touring bike, but as soon as I get the right shoes I'll be switching to a road bike.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here is the 'cross bike that I am eyeballing.  It's essentially a road bike with higher tire clearance, so it can take beefier wheels...meant to go off-road on grass, dirt, gravel.  Sorta like a hybrid, but with road geometry and components, for the most part.

Here's what cyclocross looks like...I could see you doing it.  Derek did one race last Fall.  I want to do it, eventually.  Probably next year.

~ Sarah Kay

Oh Mighty Wing

that's crazy and AWESOME looking!!!

here is good bike polo...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

They make that look WAY easy--my bike handling skills are nowhere near that good! 

~ Sarah Kay

Oh Mighty Wing

yeah neither am i!!! haha that's why I'm so bruised... they are VERY good. Check out our pictures - we're not as good! haha
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

we're not as good! haha

Notice the good guys are wearing helmets...y'all need to do the same.  You have a nice brain...don't scramble it!

/mom

~ Sarah Kay

Oh Mighty Wing

yeah... i had a helmet... i forgot... i was excited... *hangs head* yes, i've been the same way my whole life

The voice of mile 18

THAT IS INSANE!

congrats on your first real road ride!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Oh Mighty Wing

on bike polo - it is AWESOME!!!

and I rode with friends the other day - 20 miles on hills! I was ready for more when we finished - it was great!!!

The voice of mile 18

on bike polo - it is AWESOME!!!

and I rode with friends the other day - 20 miles on hills! I was ready for more when we finished - it was great!!!

great job!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Wingz

Professional Noob

Oh, wow!  I just watched that.  Those guys have great balance!  Coordination!  Wow...  I'd love to watch some of that in person...

Roads were made for journeys...