The Bike Shop

New Bike (Read 318 times)

xhristopher

Ok, folks. Seems like I'm going to give up bike commuting into Boston but not having a road bike would be too much of a void in life. I'm probably months away from settlement $$ for a new one but hope to get an easy mtb ride on fireroads whenever enough pain subsides.

It's never to early to start thinking about what's inevitably next. Budget is round about two grand. Need an all rounder. Thoughts?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I <3 my Cannondale SuperSix, but if I had to buy a really go-fast bike today it would probably be this Cervelo...geometry is even similar to my Cdale.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

I <3 my Cannondale SuperSix, but if I had to buy a really go-fast bike today it would probably be this Cervelo...geometry is even similar to my Cdale.

Ah, yes. That Cervelo is sweet and I do like it very much. It may be more than I want to spend though. It's in my charachter to want something different and unique. Problem is that my budget is tight for the kind of bike I'd like. Therefore, I'd probably need to stick with a big brand. Also, I'll probably end up riding it for at least a decade. I'm curious about Specialized since we've got three in the family that are much loved. I'm also curious to test ride a Giant TCR since the value looks good. BMC looks interesting but is probably above budget like Cervelo. Decisions, decisions.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, that's why I never really looked at the Cervelo.  Maybe in another 5 years or so I'll feel like I've "earned" an upgrade from what I'm already on, but for now I'm pretty happy with what I'm riding.

I don't think you can go wrong with the brands you've listed.  Ride 'em all and go with what speaks to you.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Looks like any settlement (ie. cash for a new bike) will be 6+ months away. In the meantime I'm starting to feel ready to resume riding, etc...

I'm down to a hurting right hand, a hurting left foot, and less frequent headaches. Major fatigue issues have mostly subsided

So, I decided to promote my local commuting (5 miles or less) Cannondale 2.8 to regular road duty and ordered a new wheelset, handle bars, and seat to "freshen" it up a little for longer rides. This weekend, while prepping it, I discover a crack around the drive side seat stay close to the rear dropout that goes half way around the tube! That frame is now dead too!

I called the Cannondale retailer close to my work to ask about the lifetime warranty and they said bring it in and that Cannondale is pretty good with their warranty. I bought the frame with forks new back in 97 and have logged thousands and thousands of miles on it--and it shows! Cross your fingers that I'll get a replacement. I don't want a credit towards a new one.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Fingers (and toes) are crossed!

If nothing else, I think Cannondale offers some sort of upgrade program where you can trade an old frame in for something like 25% off on a new one.  That might be worth looking into, especially if you could use that discount on one of last year's models.

I really like my SuperSix, just sayin'. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Shop mechanic said the crack looks consistent with stuff that's usually warranted so things are looking good. I'm guessing I'd probably get a CAAD 8 unless they have older stuff to clear out from the warehouse. I'd be more than happy to ride a CAAD 8 for a while but the problem is that my old Cannondale is/was a 56 and I've since found 54s tend to fit much better. They told me getting a different size might not be an option but we'll ask for a 54 nonetheless. Also, a new Cannondale won't fit lots of the parts I've got lying around. I'd need forks, headset, seat post, and a stem.  Depending on what I get I might end up selling it to fund something else, especially if it's a 56. That said, if it fits, I could be happy riding a CAAD 8 for a while. No doubt it would be light and fast. I'll post a followup as details emerge.

I'm looking forward to getting something to ride. Despite nearly being annihilated by that old man I'm eager to finally shake things out with a good road ride but it's going to be a few weeks. In the meantime, I'm spinning and mountain biking. Since my running has gone to shit it has been nice to have cycling. In July I wasn't "cross training," I was simply cycling. I expect that's what's on the radar for a while.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Since my running has gone to shit it has been nice to have cycling. In July I wasn't "cross training," I was simply cycling. I expect that's what's on the radar for a while.

Ha, mine, too!  I'm sure it has everything to do with my mileage rarely even hitting 15mpw.  Come snowy season I'm sure things will revert to more running and less biking.

Can't wait to hear what you end up with, bike-wise.  The CAADs are nice.  The 10 has the same geometry as my SuperSix.  I'm guessing the 8 is similar.

~ Sarah Kay

Ha, mine, too!  I'm sure it has everything to do with my mileage rarely even hitting 15mpw.  Come snowy season I'm sure things will revert to more running and less biking.

Can't wait to hear what you end up with, bike-wise.  The CAADs are nice.  The 10 has the same geometry as my SuperSix.  I'm guessing the 8 is similar.

No you wont, you'll be putting the miles on the rollers or trainer, not the treadmill. Who are u trying to fool?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xhristopher

Speaking of trainers/rollers... any recommendations out there?

I'm using a decade old Performance branded trainer. It's ok, but forseeing  a long winter and shit running, I'm considering an upgrade. This keeps looking interesting. I like the idea of a more natural feel.

I haven't seen what you have pictured before. I have a Mag Trainer and a Kreitler 4.5" drum roller with the flywheel and headwind fan. I prefer to ride on the rollers, but will use the Mag trainer also. I haven't tried to ride my tri bike on the rollers yet so for now, that bike is going on the Mag trainer. I'm not sure how steady and straight I can ride in the aerobars while on the rollers.

If I were to purchase a new roller set, I think I would go with the 3.0: rollers now that I'm more comfortable on them. You may even want to look at the 2.25" rollers as I think you are a pretty skilled cyclist and may benefit more from the 2.25" or 3.0" rollers.

If money wadid not factor into the buying decision, I would go with a computrainer just because I am started to get into triathlons and am going to make my way up to an Ironman in the next couple years. I think it would be a huge asset to have the ability to load the course profile and video of the "A" race you are training for as well as plan a race strategy using a power profile. Of course that means getting a power meter for thwe bike too, but that is also part of the "money didn't matter" equation.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No you wont, you'll be putting the miles on the rollers or trainer, not the treadmill. Who are u trying to fool?

Treadmill?!  Fuck that, I run OUTDOORS!!! Evil I'll be doing some miles on my CX bike, some indoors (mostly to Sufferfest workouts when the weather is really hellacious and I don't even want to run in it), and runs.  I'm planning on doing the Flying Pig HM in early May, so I've got to be ready for that.  And my return to the trail relay in mid-June, too.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Speaking of trainers/rollers... any recommendations out there?

I'm using a decade old Performance branded trainer. It's ok, but forseeing  a long winter and shit running, I'm considering an upgrade. This keeps looking interesting. I like the idea of a more natural feel.

The LeMond trainer is fascinating, but is out of my price range.  I'm pretty content with my mag trainer, for now.  I don't need more reason/excuse to train indoors more than necessary.

If you get one you'll have to give it a review, though.  I wonder if it's loud with that fan unit...?

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

I haven't seen what you have pictured before. I have a Mag Trainer and a Kreitler 4.5" drum roller with the flywheel and headwind fan. I prefer to ride on the rollers, but will use the Mag trainer also. I haven't tried to ride my tri bike on the rollers yet so for now, that bike is going on the Mag trainer. I'm not sure how steady and straight I can ride in the aerobars while on the rollers.

If I were to purchase a new roller set, I think I would go with the 3.0: rollers now that I'm more comfortable on them. You may even want to look at the 2.25" rollers as I think you are a pretty skilled cyclist and may benefit more from the 2.25" or 3.0" rollers.

If money wadid not factor into the buying decision, I would go with a computrainer just because I am started to get into triathlons and am going to make my way up to an Ironman in the next couple years. I think it would be a huge asset to have the ability to load the course profile and video of the "A" race you are training for as well as plan a race strategy using a power profile. Of course that means getting a power meter for thwe bike too, but that is also part of the "money didn't matter" equation.

I've got no experience with rollers. They kind of scare me. I'm sure I could figure it out. I'd have to test them, which would be interesting. Sometimes when I'm on the trainer putting in easy miles I'll just zone out. I'm not sure if this is an option with rollers.

Thanks for reminding me about Computrainer. Forgetting just how expensive they are, I hit the website and saw the 2-4 miles per hour speed increase guarantee and got even more interested until I saw the price. Yikes! I'm surprised that hasn't come down. Seems manufacturing has to have come down by now. If they were less I'm sure a many would consider it. I would, but not at that price. I guess they don't want to sell volume, or they really do cost that much to make.

Here's what I've been riding at the gym this week. (No spin classes, just 25 laps in the pool then straight into a half hour on this in a dark empty room. You'd think I were training for a triathlon...)

It's much smoother and stiffer than my old fluid trainer w/ bike. Some of that smoothness and stiffness is what I would hope to get in that Lemond Rev. Dunno or really worry about the noise from the Lemond. My current fluid trainer isn't noisy on it's own but when I get going all the vibration from everything sure is. Fortunataly it's just a smooth hum, not pounding like when using a treadmill.

Still looking forward to hearing from Cannondale. All my new bike parts are in and I'm eager to ride. If I end up with a 54 CAAD anything I'll probably ride it.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

The LeMond revolution is, per reviews I've read:

• A really cool idea
                                • Well made
                                • Expensive
                                • The most realistic of any trainer short of rollers
                                • PAINFULLY loud. Like you'd need earplugs, and doing it in an apartment would be out of the question.

Regarding your frame, I had a crack show up in a 2004 Specialized Roubaix Pro frame - fork was fine. They gave me a new frame AND fork, as the fork is matched to the frame. Might check with the dealer you're dealing with to see what the specific deal is. And I just used deal three times in one sentence.

did