The Bike Shop

Is it ok to take Strava Bike KOMs if Running? (Read 80 times)

xhristopher

I've got a great moral and ethical dilemma.

Today I ran some local trails with the intention of scouting out a hill climb that I wanted to do on my mtb. A couple local bikers have posted some decent times and I wanted a go. I had assumed the climb was up a legal fire road but, instead, it was up a path clearly marked off limits to bikes. I like to keep the peace so I avoid these.

So, after realizing I'll probably not be giving it a go on my mtb, I decided to try it on foot using the Strava bike app. Turns out I took the KOM. Now, do I just own it or switch the activity over to run? Do I keep it since they shouldn't have been using the trail in the first place? If someone challenges me with a faster ride I think I can go back and defend it. That could be fun...

Really, if you fancy yourself a mountain biker and get beat by a runner... Well, shouldn't that be embarrassing?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, I'm slow on my mtb, but still faster than on foot pretty much up any hill. Since they weren't following the rules I say have at it!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Ha, I'm slow on my mtb, but still faster than on foot pretty much up any hill. Since they weren't following the rules I say have at it!

But you could probably sprint a .2 mile stretch faster on your mtb if you wanted to. The difficulty factor was mostly the incline, which was near 20% at points.

I didn't load my full run to Strava - yet - because I don't want to out myself until I decide how to leave it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'll bet they didn't actually "bike" that bit, either, and probably ran it with their bikes.  Still a no-no if bikes are forbidden.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay