The Bike Shop

Bike shopping questions (Read 237 times)

Slo

Single Speed...no Chain Suck.

But if you have a problem dropping your chain try this...very inexpensive.

xhristopher

Do some surching on ebay, I think you'll find something similar for around $10. I've been thinking about getting one of these for my road bike as I've drop that chain a number of times.

I'll keep an eye out. I don't need it for a few months.

xhristopher

But if you have a problem dropping your chain try this...very inexpensive.

That is slick. Unfortunately the only bike I need one for is my only bike w/o a clamp on front derailleur.

Former runner

backroadrunner and I don't wash our cars often for this reason. Tongue

Ross, I am requesting more pics!!!

You're supposed to wash cars?

I'll get a maintenance stand at some point. I'll have to spend the $$ for replacement parts first. Plus my laptop died this week. The HD failed 2 months after the warranty expired. Angry

Clean frame

I've always loved the red nipples on these rims.

Wheel

Looks like I need to replace these as well. I'm guessing the sealed bearing on the G pulley has failed.

Bad bearings

This bike hasn't seen much off-road use beyond the occasional grass detour to avoid walkers on the MUP. Which is the main reason why I want to get a road bike. The last couple of years I've been riding more out on the country roads to avoid the foot traffic. Plus I live in the flatlands. The largest hill in town used to be the soapbox derby hill but they tore that down years ago.

Ross

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Very sharp-looking ride!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hip Redux

For me, riding my bike aggreviates my lower back herniation (L4/L5 and L5/S1) more than running.   YMMV

The most important thing is fit.  If you are too stretched out, you may find it terribly uncomfortable on your lower back and can make things worse (been there, done that).

Good luck!

Former runner

I was glad to be able to ride my bike as much as I did last year. Mostly to keep me from going crazy. I started walking a couple times per week so hopefully I can get back to running at some point.

Ross

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For me, riding my bike aggreviates my lower back herniation (L4/L5 and L5/S1) more than running.   YMMV

The most important thing is fit.  If you are too stretched out, you may find it terribly uncomfortable on your lower back and can make things worse (been there, done that).

Good luck!

Another thing is core strength!  I ignored my abs/lower back for too long and it came to a terrible head this Fall.  It REALLY messed with my biking for about a month.  I sat out a CX race when I could barely walk, much less ride.  I started back to regular core work and within a week things felt way better.  I do tend to ride in a pretty aggressive posture on most of my bikes, since that feels more comfortable and stable most of the time, but when my back seized I couldn't ride well on any bike.

Also, strong core can really help with "saddle issues," at least for women.  I have an especially anterior-rotated pelvis (aka swayback) that is noticeably more severe when my core is weak...which puts more saddle pressure too far forward, instead of on my sit bones, where it belongs.  When my core is strong I <3 my saddle...when it's weak we're talking broken skin/chafing hell that no amount of chamois butter or different shorts will alleviate.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hip Redux

Total agree, core strength is huge.  A solid core will keep you from getting into really bad posture habits, both on and off the bike.    But IMO if you have a compromised disc, a bad fit could be putting a mechanical force on the area that does you in, either way.