The Bike Shop

Gonna race a crit tomorrow... (Read 175 times)

xhristopher

Hey bike shop people. Last spring I ran a decent half marathon off fitness from building up to and cycling a century. Tomorrow I'm going to race my first crit in 10 years basically off of marathon training upon a late 90s vintage steel bike. It's anyone's guess how that's going to go. Will I be off the back, pack fill, or win? I'm curious to know. I sure hope I don't come home with my tail between my legs.

FWIW I raced crits (cat 4/5) for a season 10 years ago. I'll be riding with the cat 5 (one day license) group so I'm really most afraid of crashing. If I were to have a strategy it would be to figure out who the better riders are, keep an eye on them, conserve my energy towards the end, and just try and go off the front in the last lap.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cool!  Crits totally scare me...but I look forward to hearing how you do.  Hope it goes well, no crashes, and you at the front of the peloton! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Rained out Cry

Guess I'll just go for a ride instead.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Poopy. Sad

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Just as I did this winter when I had a run race canceled, I went out and got many more miles than I would have in the same weather that caused the cancellation. This was my first ride of the year that didn't have anything to do with a commute or backpack. I got to choose nice roads and just enjoyed the ride. It was nice to be reminded how joyful that can be.

I'll try to jump in that weekly crit soon. Clearly I'm in shape to hang in with the pack. I average 20.96 which included getting out of town and riding 100% on the hoods for today's 27.5 mile ride. My trusty late 90s vintage steel bike served me well as I blasted past a paceline of guys going 20-21 on their pretty, light, and expensive bikes. I think they even tried to catch me. I've got no right to be riding so well but I'll take it.

Gotta find a du! Gotta find a du! Gotta find a du!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Registered

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yes! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Raced the crit. Hanging with the "slow" group was very easy. I rode a lap off the front just to see how it felt, sprinted for third (went too early and got caught) in a prime, then picked the rider who I thought would challenge for the win, followed his wheel until I realized I was wrong. I then put myself out in the wind to go after the two riders a couple lengths ahead while inadvertently leading out four guys behind me. This gave me 7th place out of about 40. If I picked a better wheel It could have gone better but not much worse since I did my own leadout and sprint. Marathon training doesn't do much for sprinting, just hauling at at a high speed.

The crit took full concentration and I'd probably be happier with a lot less turns. So much shuffling, some bumping, etc...

I think I could at least hang in with the faster group but my skills need sharpening and I'd have to "graduate" to it. Perhaps one day. Right now I don't have the time to make that commitment.

Oh, and steel is real. I'm sure I had the oldest and heaviest bike and, just to make it interesting, rode with a baggy mountain bike jersey to match my mountain bike helmet.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and steel is real. I'm sure I had the oldest and heaviest bike and, just to make it interesting, rode with a baggy mountain bike jersey to match my mountain bike helmet.

Ha, this is awesome!  Probably psyched the competition out a bit...they never saw ya' comin'! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay