The Bike Shop

Question from a total bike newbie (Read 202 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

****HI EVERYONE!****(waving)

As Zoomy knows, I just got a bike a few weeks ago. I got a Trek Pure Lowstep. For me, this is the perfect starter bike - I need to be able to log some miles but also like to have my feet touch the ground when my butt is in the saddle. Next year, if my basic skills improve and I find myself wanting to do more, I'll look for a road bike.

My reason for "finding biking again" is simple - I've been injured multiple times running this year and need to take a break. This is a good alternative.

I want to get an indoor trainer to deal with upcoming winter weather. I understand fluid trainers are not as noisy - important as I live on 3rd floor apartment.

So, here are my newbie questions for the day:

I would like to have an idea as to how many miles I am logging on my trainer. Otherwise, I could see myself getting complacent. Do trainers come with mileage computers or do I need to buy one. If so, what do you recommend I buy?

Thanks for your help!

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't know that there are any trainers that come with computers...or maybe some high end ones do.  Any computer with a REAR wheel sensor should be able to tell you distance/speed/cadence.  I use my Garmin 305 for this...it's nifty.  But you could find a wired computer for a lot cheaper if you don't already have a 305.

Something to help cut down on the trainer noise is a firm foam pad under the bike.  I have several squares of this stuff, the sort of stuff used in weight rooms to protect floors.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Good to know. I have the 205, not 305.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Slo

Confused.......Ok Zoomy....You got me here. How does your Garmin kep track of your distance in a trainer ?

Kerry, I have cyclops fluid trainer. They are quieter and the resistance will automatically increase when you speed up. They are also more expensive.

Distance.....I bought a cheapo bike computer from Target (Shimano Brand for like 9 bucks) Generally these are meant to go on the front wheel. For the trainer I mounted it on the back and put the display on the cross tube....You  may have to get creative with where you mount yours and you may not be able to see it becuase of the cable length. A wireless also has distance limitations.

The distance you travel on the trainer will be a greater effort than the same distance in real life because there is no coasting on the trainer.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Confused.......Ok Zoomy....You got me here. How does your Garmin kep track of your distance in a trainer ?

Instead of calculating distance using GPS it calculates based upon wheel rotations.  The trick is to remember to set the unit to indoor mode, though.  Took me a while before I figured that out and I got really flaky distance and speed readings, then, since the GPS said I wasn't moving, but the wheel did.

~ Sarah Kay

You buy yourself the Garmin GSC-10 Speed/Cadence sensor and pair it to your FR 305.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You buy yourself the Garmin GSC-10 Speed/Cadence sensor and pair it to your FR 305.

Oh, yeah...I forgot to mention that bit.  Really, I love my 305 as a bike computer.  That thing shines in a duathlon setting, too.  If I did tris I would definitely get the 310.  I think when the day comes that my 305 dies that I will buy another one.

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

My 205 bit the dust sometime this summer. I've not sent it in for the $70 rebuild.....rather I shed the leash....I'm Free....I'm Free !

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I'd love to be free, but I'm a numbers person. If I run on feel, I will always grossly under- or over-estimate what I've done. The Garmin keeps me honest and gives the me the feedback I need to keep on track.

TRUST THE PROCESS