The Bike Shop

Who velo-commutes? (Read 388 times)

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

I do, once in a while - 33.8 miles each way...

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ok, I'll bite...

What's velo-commuting?

Roads were made for journeys...

Biking to work

I have not velo-commuted yet this year but will start it up next week. Up until now, I have been picking my daughters up after track practice, so the bike was not an option.

My commute will range from 16 miles round trip to 56 miles, depending on where I want to start from.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

I commute most nearly everyday.

My current commute is 3.8 miles each way. I'm moving this weekend and I estimate my new commute to be about 7 miles each way.

My current commuter is a GT ZUM with urban tires.( Narrow slicks, kevlar) In the winter I put knobbies on. I also have a Schwinn Fastback Comp that I have turned into a century bike that I will ride from time to time.

I've been doing this for nearly 5 years - year around. My coldest ride was -13 deg below. Only on a few rare occasions have I left my bike and hitched a ride.....I won't ride in lightning.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Derek should add that until 10 years ago we lived literally down the street from his work (I think about a half mile total distance).  2 WEEKS after we closed on this house he got the call from the headhunter about his current job.  If it weren't for bad timing we'd have none at all.  If we still lived down there we could easily survive as a one-car household.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ohhhh. 

Big grin

Ya, I bike to work.  Probably 2/3 days.  I'm about 5 1/2 to 6 miles from work, and it takes me about 30 minutes, so it's almost perfect for me. Smile

Just didn't know the word.

Roads were made for journeys...

xhristopher

About twice a week all the way (18 round trip) & once or twice just to the T (Boston's subway) (5 round trip).

It's always quicker than driving at those hours but it's not for the faint of heart.

Slo

I was able to make my first commute from our new house today.

6.4 miles one way.......26 minutes.

I finally got off my lazy ass and rode into work today. It was quite refreshing with a temp about 57 degrees and a light wind. 8.01 miles in 26:12. Nice easy ride but ending up breaking a sweat with about 2.0 miles to go.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I took a different route home yesterday afternoon which ended up being pretty hilly.

12.72 miles

42:35

347' elevation change

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

Nice Job BT.....Keep it up !

Commuting for me really isn't a question. During ths heat wave I've had to change here at work and rode home several times in the rain....which is actually a nice ride. I don't have fenders so I end up with a nice streak up my back.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new commuter.......A very small obscure bike shop just blocks from where I live just took in a Surly Cross Check. That'll put me back at 5 bikes for me with a total of 9 in the household.

Keep commuting though....It's the right thing to do for so mmany reasons !

My goal right now is 2-3 days a week. I have about 7.5 miles of hills - this is my ride home - (the ride to work is way more fun Smile 

I rode my bike to work three times this week and saved a whole gallon of gas. My car gets about 45 mpg and I have a 16 mile round trip commute. Every little bit helps, right?

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xhristopher

I rode my bike to work three times this week and saved a whole gallon of gas. My car gets about 45 mpg and I have a 16 mile round trip commute. Every little bit helps, right?

Cool. Since I buy a monthly train pass (I work in downtown Boston) I save absolutely nothing when I bike commute. In fact it costs me since I end up eating more. The benefit of just riding the 2.5 miles to the train, not all the way in, is not riding or waiting for the bus. That makes it worth it.

Oh Mighty Wing

i'm gonna be doing it this school year. 6 mi - round trip.

anyone have suggestions on panniers?