Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: Aug 31 - Sept 6 (Read 301 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Thought I'd go ahead and start this week's thread. Can't wait to hear how everyone's doing! Looks like we should have a couple graduates at the end of the week.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Baby bean!

Okay, just finished W4, D3. Basically debating repeating a day of it or just moving onto W5. Wasn't bad at all. A wee anxious about W5's 20 minute at the end, but excited, too. For those who have done it...how was it? It's almost like the inevitable.

Goals:
      Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

erendis

just ran week1 day1 of my one hour program. this week is 4min run, 1min walk x5, so essentially recovery from 30min run last week. i definitely ran faster, knowing i only had to sustain it for 4 min at a time. so my pace went from around 13min/mi to 11:35ish/mi. I also had alot more energy, probably from the excitement of running at 5am, which is SO HARDCORE! My husband went with me for safety, so it was fun to have a running buddy too. we didn't have to run at 5am, but we wanted to do a "trial run" before school starts tomorrow to make sure we could do it and get back in time for me to get to school on time.
        I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
          I'm feeling a bit... well, let's call it grumpy. Last week I restarted at Week 1 (Start2Run) instead of doing week 4, because a friend of mine wanted to join me... And this week it seems she already started to skip runs (I ran W2D1 alone yesterday). I thought she really was motivated to run, but during our third run, she said already she wondered if she would go on till the end of the program Angry If I had continued on my own, I would have been in week 5 now...

Running in Belgium
          Ann

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

A wee anxious about W5's 20 minute at the end, but excited, too. For those who have done it...how was it? It's almost like the inevitable.
            It's really not bad. That 20 minute run is more a mental thing than a physical thing. Look at day two of week five; it's two eight minute runs with a break in the middle so you run for 16 minutes that day. You'll do it and you'll feel awesome about it. I found it a really huge confidence boost going into week 6. You'll be great! Ann, that's so frustrating. Are you going to go back to week 5 or are you going to give her the benefit of the doubt she'll stick with it? Try not to let her drag you down. You have been doing so well! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

The young Mama Bear!

Ann, running happens to give you setbacks to test you. Just keep going and do your thing. Sushi, it's really not that bad. The whole program has been doable so far, and trust me...the last half of the program is just as doable.
              Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
              Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
              theyapper

On the road again...

A wee anxious about W5's 20 minute at the end, but excited, too. For those who have done it...how was it? It's almost like the inevitable.
                I just posted in the other thread about how my son and I ran this 20 minute run last night. He had put it off a couple times because he was so worried about the "big jump" in minutes, too, but we slowed down and he cruised right through it. I told him that the 20 minute run makes him an official runner. He liked that. Run within yourself and remember this isn't a race. The slowest person to finish still moves on to Week 6. Wink

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Finished OHR W1 on Sunday. It was very humid, so our pace wasn't that great. I'm trying to figure out how to switch up the pace to make the runs more beneficial--it feels like the effort level is not decreasing, even though we've been running 30 minutes for 2 weeks now at this same pace.
                  2008 Goals:
                  1. Finish C25K
                  2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
                  3. Complete One Hour Runner
                  CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Finished OHR W1 on Sunday. It was very humid, so our pace wasn't that great. I'm trying to figure out how to switch up the pace to make the runs more beneficial--it feels like the effort level is not decreasing, even though we've been running 30 minutes for 2 weeks now at this same pace.
                    Plateaus do happen and as you get into better shape,I think it takes longer to see gains. However, you will likely see a bit of a jump when/if you get a season change coming up here and it cools off/humidity drops. Have you tried changing up your route at all? I find when I run the same route all the time, I get in a rut and I mentally know how long it takes to get to certain points. I run three times a week and try to run three different routes so any particular route at most is every third run. So far, I've got about five or six routes I can run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

OMG!!! I did it!!!! I ran my first 5K last Saturday!!! Coming off a pretty lazy vacation when I only ran once, and it was a crappy run that aggrevated my shin splints and the pain persisted for three days afterwards. The nerves started getting to me on Friday night when we arrived at my MIL's house (the race was near her). On the way in DH and I cruised down the road that the race was on and I realized (gulp!) that it was uphill until the turnaround point and then downhill (obviously) on the return trip. That intimidated me, since I've been a TM girl til now. Also it was pavement, which I knew was going to wreak havoc with my shin splints. Slept maybe 3 hours total that night, just could not get rid of the nerves/anxiety/what was I thinking. Woke up Saturday morning, had some cereal, stomach in knots still. DH came with me to the race, got there about 15 minutes til the start and thank goodness I didn't get there earlier than that cause as it was, those 15 minutes were excrutiating. Just totally freaked out by the whole experience, surrounded by people that looked a whole lot fitter and more comfortable in the situation than I was. I stretched and drank water to calm myself and then we lined up and bang! We were off.....and everyone (literally) went flying past me. I laughed a little at how slow I was compared to everyone else. There were a few people walking the race, so I wasn't Dead Last, but I was certainly last among the runners, haha. Made it about 3/4 of the way to the turnaround and I was feeling like I wanted to stop but of course I didn't. Right before the turnaround there was this big steep hill that I had to run up and thought I might die by the time I reached the turnaround where thankfully a nice old lady gave me some water and I walked for just a few seconds to guzzle that before turning around and heading back down. At that point I knew I was halfway so I couldn't stop, but boy did I have to sllooooooooowwwwww down. I think my pace in the first half of the race was pretty normal (12:00 to 12:30 for me) but the second half I was barely going faster than a walk. Once I got the finish line in sight though I HTFU and ran my heart out til the end. Finished with a time of 43:10, which I thought considering my shin splints and nerves and the first time I've ever run that far (since previously I've only made it to 2.75 miles)...I was pretty happy with that. For days afterwards I just kept shaking my head and saying, holy shit, I actually did it. I can't believe I actually did it. So hooray for my graduation and first 5K!! I'm taking time off from running until I can have my appt with a podiatrist to get checked out for custom orthotics or something to help with the shin splints, then I haven't decided where to go. I'm not sure I want to increase my distances any more than what I've done. I mean I am so happy that I did this program and accomplished my goal of completing a 5K this year, but I'm just not sure I want to become a marathoner or anything like that.
                      2009 Goals:
                      PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                      Run a 10K
                      Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                      Complete my first Sprint Tri
                      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

WohooO! Way to go, Jenner. Now get yourself a frame for that first bib number because that's a big accomplishment. Even if you never decide to race again or you do more, this one will always be special. Cool

Half Fanatic #9292. 

More turtle than hare...

Yay, Jenner!!! Congratulations!! You really stuck it out and worked for this victory. That's a runner for you!! Big grin Big grin
                            Plateaus do happen and as you get into better shape,I think it takes longer to see gains. However, you will likely see a bit of a jump when/if you get a season change coming up here and it cools off/humidity drops. Have you tried changing up your route at all? I find when I run the same route all the time, I get in a rut and I mentally know how long it takes to get to certain points. I run three times a week and try to run three different routes so any particular route at most is every third run. So far, I've got about five or six routes I can run.
                            Yes, I can't wait until we get into fall. On some of our morning runs it's only been mid-60s, but still humid enough to be uncomfortable. We are going to try changing routes. We live just across the Hudson River from NYC in a heavily-paved town, so our options are limited, so we always run in a somewhat short loop by the river. We'll have to stretch it out, even if it means running on the road with the crazy drivers around here!
                            2008 Goals:
                            1. Finish C25K
                            2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
                            3. Complete One Hour Runner
                            jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

sushigirl - you are more than ready for that 20 minute run. It's a mental barrier, more than a physical one. You can do it and you will feel awesome when you realize you did it! jenner - great job. I did OHR W7D1 very early this morning to avoid the heat/humidity. It is getting easier.
                                Sushi ~ You CAN do the 20 minute run! I just did it Saturday morning, in 92% humidity no less. I consciously started out at a slow pace because I did not want to poop out too soon and struggle through too much. I was on the track for the first mile (did that in 12:00 or a little more...) and then headed off the track into a tree-lined neighborhood for a change of scenery (and out of the sun!) for the final 8 minutes. The last 4 minutes was the hardest for me and I kept saying to myself 'stopping is NOT an option, you CAN do this!' Everyone here is right...it is more mental then physical. You can do it! You'll be so glad when you are done! Jenner ~ Good job on the first 5K! You overcame a lot of little obstacles there and stuck with it so good for you! I hope you can get the shin splints under control. One of my Blog Friends just got some sort of orthotics made for her for the same reason. I'm feeling a little under the weather today, but hoping to get started on Week 6 this evening. I had a 'party weekend' and had to do some er...recovering yesterday, so I did not run. A little mad at myself Angryfor interrupting my lifestyle with over-indulgence and a late night...but, lesson learned and moving on!
                                Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com