Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly thread 3/24 - 3/30 (Read 263 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Good Monday, all! Hope you had a good Easter! I was working, but got to celebrate with a potluck; that was nice. How did everyone's week go last week? Where are you now in the program? We have a few new people - step up and introduce yourselves, won't you? Don't be shy... Big grin Last week I went on vacation here in North Carolina. Went to the Outer Banks, which is a chain of islands just off the coast. You can drive (bridges) to most of them. A few you have to take a ferry, which is sorta cool. There's some really-developed stuff near the northern end of the chain, a long stretch of Mother Nature at her best, and some small towns here and there along the rest. One thing I did manage to do was to get a run in while on vacation. To some, that may sound like lunacy, but actually it was kind of like a little bit of home. It was nice to know I've got a habit that I can take with me wherever I may go... Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

obiebyke

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Wingz

Professional Noob

AWESOME!!! Way to go!!! Big grin Big grin Big grin

colinw

I am new to running, this being my first attempt. I am currently on Week 4, and have completed workout #2. One more to go and then on to Week 5!

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, colinw! Welcome! I got you on the table. Smile How are you finding the Couch-to-5K program?

danea

New to running, new to the site, new to the group -- I posted a little bit about myself last week. I just started on c25k for the second time, and did the first workout of the second week yesterday. This site looks like it will be a big help. More than anything I'm worried about knee pain, since that's what's stopped me every other time I've started running, and I'm trying to stick with shorter strides to prevent as much jarring, since I've had that recommended to me from a number of different sources. So far no pain while I'm running, but a faint soreness today when I walk, so it's something I'm going to try to continue to keep an eye on and come up with strategies to counteract. Where'd you go in the Outer Banks? I've vacationed on Hatteras Island and Oak Island, both of which are beautiful. If you haven't been down to Oak Island, you should. It's not nearly as busy as the northern Outer Banks. Congratulations, Obiebyke! Glad you made your goals! I did my run out there on Sunday afternoon and saw the remnants of the race markings, and wondered how you'd done.

skinnycaponesugar

Obiebyke, congratulations on your first 5K race! you did really well Wink any more races in the horizon? Welcome Colin! I'm a recent graduate and it is so great to know that other people are following C25K. Are you using listening to podcasts? music? Wingz, I saw the graph, very nice! Cool I must confess that I'm a bit lost after C25K. I keep running but I'm finding hard to break through the 45 min (not including warm up and cool down brisk walks) run. It is either too late in the evening or I am too tired. I have my first 8K on Mother's day and I want to do well, in other words, I don't want to drag myself to the finish line. So I got a treadmill so I can add a couple of days to my training. I'm hoping that will do the trick and gets me fitter to have a longer run once a week, probably on the weekend. On another note: I found a post on Running 101 that I think is a pretty good way to approach running, especially for those newbies who have their hearts set on a marathon (I can't really see that far yet Shocked) It is the fifth down on the thread, by jsobo119 http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/7060bd931d5c4472ad4559035206a0f7 Cheers and have an excellent week!

Love, Run, Sleep

colinw

Welcome Colin! I'm a recent graduate and it is so great to know that other people are following C25K. Are you using listening to podcasts? music?
                  When I first started I was not listening to the iPod, just timing my intervals on a watch. Then I found and downloaded the Podrunner podcasts which are all set up for the C25K. I have been using them the last 2 weeks and really enjoying them! The program is pretty good as an introduction and it has me going strong at 4 weeks which is longer than any of my previous attempts at "running".

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Hello everyone, figured I'd introduce myself. I'm Jen, almost 31 yr old (tomorrow!) and I quit smoking on January 14, 2007, gained about 30lbs and started running in May 2007 after taking 11 years off of running. Spent the next 5 months running the C25K program and finally graduated late September 2007, ran my first 5K in October and was going to go on to the One Hour Runner program but work and school got me busy and I ended up not running much of December or January 08 and now we just signed the papers (2 weeks ago) on our first home so we're working at updating that! I have a 2 mile race this weekend and I'm trying to get out running as much as possible but with my schedule it's not much. I've decided to go back to the C25K to get back into running 3 miles. I've downloaded the program and have determined I'm going to start at week 4 day 1, I can do 5 mins pretty well even 10 on a good day but I figure I'd start slow and get a base before I add on the minutes! Colin, as far as your knees go, have you ever injured them? I've dislocated both of mine a few times and have stabilizers that I have to run with. They aren't pretty but they work. If you have an orthopedic I would talk to him/her about getting a brace. If it's just a weak knee then I would target that area with some exercises to strengthen the area around your knee, I know a bunch do to all the PT I've gone through over the years! One of the best is grab a can of food (peas, beans whatever) and stand on one leg (the bad one) hold the can in your opposite arm like the statue of liberty, now bend down and take your can and touch the foot your standing on (well get close to it) and then go back up to standing. 10-20 times 2 reps each day... it'll take a few minutes but it really helps target the knee. good luck!
                    -Jen
                    2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                    gwhutch

Hello, I'm a newbie. 36 yo male. Just finished w3 yesterday. The Ullrey podcasts are wonderful. I'm on a mission to lose 150 lbs. Have lost 35 since starting in August '07. I am shooting for another 90 lbs lost by Christmas. Starting to feel better than I ever have. Have never been a runner until I started this program. Running is terribly hard work, but I do get some weird sense of pleasure from it. My first 5k is May 3rd. My first triathlon is September 13th.
                      jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Hi Everyone - and welcome to the new people. Sorry I disappeared for a week, but had some family things to take care of. I'm finally back home and did W4D1 today. It felt good to be back outside again!
                          Hi Everyone, I am fairly new to the forums and completed Week 2 Workout 1 yesterday. This isn't my first time on C25K, Last time I was on it was last year around June and I had completed Week 8. But soon after, my firstborn was thrown out the studio apartment he was renting without payments for 9 months, running got derailed from then on. Now that I have things somewhat under control I'm back. Big grin
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome, newer posters! Glad to see y'all! Big grin Got ya up on the graph! Cool

Thanks. Wink
                                Man I hate rest days. My new pair of running shoes arrived today too. I so feel like putting them on and getting my Week 2 Workout 2 on.... Too bad this is most newbies mistake, too much too soon Sad Can't wait for tomorrow after work. Actually, might even wake up extra early and get my workout in.