Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Just one calf hurts? (Read 550 times)

sarahboo

HI everyone,

I am so excited that I am finished with W1!!!  My husband and I did it last night and I'm looking forward to starting W2 tomorrow.  It's going great, except: my left calf is WAY tighter than my right!  It's not debilitating pain or anything, I just want to make sure I'm not running "wrong" somehow.  I did have the thought that maybe it's just under worked due to using my right one more when driving????  Has anyone else experienced this when first getting started?  Thanks for any feedback, and everyone have a great day!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

When I first started (July 08) a lot more than one calf hurt! It could be just getting things started or it could be shoes if you have not been fitted for them. I started getting severe foot issues at one point and went to a running store and got video'd on a treadmill. I was told I needed stability shoes and bought my first pair. I could feel the difference immediately. And worked for me all the way through c25k. A lot of other muscle soreness eased off as well. Partly because of the shoes and partly just plain getting used to it.

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Baby bean!

Another thought.  Are you running on an entirely flat surface?  Maybe if the surface is sloped, one leg is working harder than the other.

Goals:
        Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Another thought.  Are you running on an entirely flat surface?  Maybe if the surface is sloped, one leg is working harder than the other.

forgot about that. If running on street or sidewalk with a slope come back on the same side of the street to even out the load.

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.