Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Need some opinions (Read 160 times)

Baby bean!

I am currently doing a different training program. It's been great except for the past few session. The premise is this: Day 1: R4, W1, 4X Day 2: R4, W1, 5X Day 3: R4, W1 6X Day 4: R4, W1, 7X Now, last week, we had some crappy weather in terms of lightning, so our schedule was off. But I feel like my runs have not been up to par. Part of me thinks that I am not giving myself enough recovery time in between intervals. We are at the point where it is 1 minute recovery between runs, whereas a few weeks ago, it was 2 minutes. With those runs, we were doing more than what we scheduled. Sorry I ramble. Anyway, the past few Saturdays, we have taken our sneaks to my IL's house and squeezed in runs while family members were doing other thiings. Therefore, we killed two birds with one stone and didn't postpone runs. These runs were different. Less structured. For instance, rather than R3, W2, 6X, we ran 5, walked 2, ran 7, walked 3, ran 3, walked 1, ran 5. And they were great. So...basically I have just finished my 6th week of my plan and am thinking about switching to the C25K and rather than start at week 1, start at week 4 since it's similar to the intervals I have already done. If you've read all this and aren't Dead, thank you! So...Yes, good idea to start at week4 or No, bad idea, do this instead? Also, since my current plan has me running 4 days a week, which I like, and C25K is only 3 days, and I don't want to do only 3 days, what do you suggest I do for the 4th day? I thank you in advance for your opinions. Big grin

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

running buddies

IMHO, I think starting at week 4 seems like a good idea given what you've been able to do on your Saturdays. I'd do the lightest C25K workout/week twice, since you're already doing 4 days. If your runs are feeling crummy, I'd suggest slowing down, both in pace during your runs, and in your progression - maybe repeat a week, or consider dropping that fourth day or keeping it lighter than the other three even when you get to week 7 when all the runs are the same length. I'm sure other people have ideas, too. Just keep running!
      "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)

Baby bean!

Thank you! So basically, do Workout 1 twice, then do workout 2, then 3? That sounds reasonable. Smile

Goals:
        Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

redleaf

Or do Workout 1 Workout 2 Workout 3 Workout 1 On the premise that a little bit of a break inbetween might be nice!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362