Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 14 - 20 (Read 437 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

I did W7D1 tonight. I decided to switch over to distance (rather than time). So, I did a five minute warm-up and a 2.5 mile run. It ended up taking about 33 minutes, but, hey, gotta start somewhere! Just trying to take it slow and steady.
    Great job, meewolfie, on the 2.5 miles. I looked at your log and that run coupled with your warmup and cooldown is the longest you've done to date, right? I bet it felt great.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Great job, meewolfie, on the 2.5 miles. I looked at your log and that run coupled with your warmup and cooldown is the longest you've done to date, right? I bet it felt great.
      Thanks, Paul! I'm not sure that I'd use the word great, at least to describe how I felt immediately after the run Big grin! But, it definitely does feel great to look at the next few weeks of the Cto5k and say, "Yes. I can do that!". As I was running yesterday, I just kept telling myself that putting in these tough little runs is just a part of the process of getting to where I want to go. I'm planning on doing the same run on Wednesday - it will be interesting to see how it compares to Monday's run. Yes - it's my longest logged run since I picked this habit back up again. My longest run ever - done about twenty years ago was a 12 mile training run. The longest race that I've ever done was a 15k. That race was also done many, many years ago Smile.
      ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
        Yesterday was D1W6 for me!!! I can't believe in 5 short weeks I'll be able to run an hour and start building a base. I'm so excited I can't hardly see straight. My run yesterday was wonderful. I can by the middle school and while it was really late my ankles didn't feel very flexible so I ran on the track for several laps. I felt so good that when my phone rang I actually answered it and could talk before the reception gave out. Then a adolescent buck and a couple doe decided to stop near the track and stare at me. It was pitch black and my cell wasn't working so I ran to the street and finished it on the street for a ways before running back through the wooded area and home. I need a brighter headlamp and some mace though if I'm gonna keep up with these super late runs. Last week was a little rough with my other workouts. It was that TOM and I was just feeling run down. I got in my strength training sessions and all my runs but missed three days of P90 Sweat. I was feeling all bummed until I ran last night and felt how much easier running is becoming. I can do this. I CAN do this. We ARE doing this! Just awesomeness. I need a tiny camera so I can take pics on the go I think.
        You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I love those transition points when you hit a new distance or you really notice how much easier the run is/how much stronger you are. Big grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I was feeling all bummed until I ran last night and felt how much easier running is becoming. I can do this. I CAN do this. We ARE doing this! Just awesomeness.
            Yeah! What a great experience!
            ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
            theyapper

On the road again...

I love those transition points when you hit a new distance or you really notice how much easier the run is/how much stronger you are. Big grin
              I'm the same way. I still find myself looking down at my watch as I run and thinking, "3 months ago I couldn't run 2 minutes without breathing heavy." Now, 20 minutes is truly like a warm up. It just feels so good to see the progress in such a dramatic way.

Paul

Tortoise

W3D3 is done! I really thought I was going to have a really bad run today... I just didn't feel motivated to get out there, and thought that sluggishness would carry over once I got outside, but I shoved myself out the door and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. That last 3 minute run was *hard*, but not impossible and I finished it! Kind of scared about the 5 minute run on Thursday, W4D1, but working on convincing myself that I just have to get over the mental hurdle and let my legs go.
                "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

I'm back, baby! Big grin Back from Mexico, back from NC->KY->VA->NC in 72 hours, back (hopefully) from a cranky hip that didn't want to cooperate with running on a regular basis, and I'm ready to roll! I ran at the Y today after more than 10 days off (see above travel schedule), and felt the best I have in weeks. I dropped back a couple of weeks on C25K to do the weeks better. Right about the 20 minute run was when my hip started getting nasty, and I haven't been able to do that much straight again since. So, back up we go, and try it again. Wingz, could you put me back on the chart? I'm on W5D2 again. Cheers to all who are persevering! I see that we've added some newer people in the last month, and to you I say welcome! If I can do this, *anyone* can! And to gruetzgirl, oh baby, I have to get my hiney in gear to catch up to you...looking forward to running w/ you in Aug. Smile
                  theyapper

On the road again...

Welcome back, pole! I recently found out how good time off can do the body as well. I'm glad it turned out good for you, too.

Paul

The young Mama Bear!

Sounds like some extra aerobic exercise there, Goddess. Wink
                      LOL, you got that right. I shaved about 1:45 off my official mile time! Went from 15 minutes to 13:15 on the dot. It took a bit out of me, and I didn't jog the whole time but I'm proud that I got my big behind to jog about a mile. Yes Welcome back to some, and keep going everyone!
                      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                      MoonStar

Signed up for our fitness center's "splash and dash" - well, really it should be dash and splash because events are in that order. So, we get to see if I can not drown doing a 250 meter crawl - I may be down to sidestroke by the time I get there - after doing a 5K. I have been swimming more as cross training over the last few weeks in order to try to prepare for this and have found my approx. 800m work out is going much smoother than before - swimming doesn't seem to mess with my running legs as much as the hydrorider class/biking did. Think I could do more than the 800 now - but my daughter's swim class is only 30 minutes and at my turtle pace that's all I can get in by the time she is done. The event is this Saturday so I am planning on taking off the next several days to try to rest my legs prior. Wish me luck!
                        theyapper

On the road again...

Sounds like fun, moonstar! Can't wait to read how you do.

Paul

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, guys. Googledocs is acting up this morning, but I'll get the charts updated as soon as I can. t the problem figured out and charts updated. Welcome back, Polepole. Good luck MoonStar on your upcoming duathlon! Nice job everyone - keep up the good work! Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

Hey everyone! Well this week has been INSANE at work, working really long days, mentally exhausting, so unfortunately I haven't been able to run yet (hoping I may be able to squeeze one in tonight between work and school board meeting but not sure how the day is going to go yet). Anywho, running has definitely been on my brain though cause yesterday I signed up for my 1st 5K!!!! I'm so excited! It's August 30th, so I have some time left to finish C25K and then get up to the full distance (I'm running a 12 mm pace so it'll take me a few more weeks to get up to 37 minutes or so). I also have to start more road training, since all of my runs have been on a treadmill. I'm also going to have to be really disciplined the week prior to the race, because we'll be on vacation in Maine (the race is scheduled for the last weekend of our vacation). It'll be a challenge I'm sure, but I have no doubt that I'll finish. At my 12 mm pace I'm looking at 37.2 minutes, I would LOVE to finish under 35 but I'm really just concentrating on finishing and not worrying too much about time for this first race. Yay, this is so exciting!!
                              2009 Goals:
                              PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                              Run a 10K
                              Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                              Complete my first Sprint Tri
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

Anyone heard from Muffin? I don't have anything from her since June...

Roads were made for journeys...