Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 14 - 20 (Read 437 times)

running buddies

ChupChup - I love to watch my dogs run, because they do it with such JOY! Clowning around That's what I'm hoping I get to, eventually. It's got to help to have four legs, though, because my dogs have never had a bad day... Turtlechick - Unlike my dogs, I've had plenty of bad days. It's good to come and tell us all about it, because then you'll keep going. I worry more about those who just sort of quietly drift away. Cry Everyone here wants you to succeed as much as we want to (however it is we are defining our success). Chin up - you can do this! Smile
    "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
    zzz

hey all thanks for the cheer.... i am not planning on quitting... and tomorrow am lauri and I (whom btw I keep telling to get her hump on the board) are getting up at 4:45 tomorrow am to run.... we're volunteering to judge bochi ball (sic?) for a special olympics fund raiser which won't end until evening... i sure hope tomorrow is better.... i am going to head off to bed to get some good sleep... i have tried taking my dog for a run but she drags too much and then i feel sorry for her... and thanks again all for the encouragement.... most of the time i love this and don't want to be doing anything else. sweet dreams all
        I love running with my dog and it looks like I am not alone. He's always ready to go no matter what and I agree with the joy comment too. In truth I am jealous because I remember feeling like that back in high school and hope to recapture it eventually. Anybody else struggling with a bruised heel or heel spur (I am pretty sure it's not PF). I look like a 90 year old man hobbling out of bed or when I get up from sitting for a while. So far the best remedy seems to be stretching before I try to walk; stretching my calf and curling my toes like I'm trying to pick up a towel seem to work best. How are other dealing with this? I was evaluated and fitted at a running shoe store recently (Running Wild in Cedar Rapids is great) so I don't think my Mizuno Wave Rider 11's are the problem. Gotta go. Congrats to everyone on their progress! Bad days and illness/injury suck but far more good days and happy running are in your futures. Smile
        Wingz

Professional Noob

I love running with my dog and it looks like I am not alone. He's always ready to go no matter what and I agree with the joy comment too. In truth I am jealous because I remember feeling like that back in high school and hope to recapture it eventually. Anybody else struggling with a bruised heel or heel spur (I am pretty sure it's not PF). I look like a 90 year old man hobbling out of bed or when I get up from sitting for a while. So far the best remedy seems to be stretching before I try to walk; stretching my calf and curling my toes like I'm trying to pick up a towel seem to work best. How are other dealing with this? I was evaluated and fitted at a running shoe store recently (Running Wild in Cedar Rapids is great) so I don't think my Mizuno Wave Rider 11's are the problem. Gotta go. Congrats to everyone on their progress! Bad days and illness/injury suck but far more good days and happy running are in your futures. Smile
          What you're describing - it hurting most when you get up out of bed or from sitting for a while, feeling tight in the calf, getting some relief from regular stretching the calf & foot like that - sounds spot-on for PF to me. Why do you think it's not?

Roads were made for journeys...

MoonStar

I agree, sounds very possibly PF. Turtlechick - what kind of dog to you have? I don't think our shih tzu will ever be able to keep up. My husband wanted a Husky - that would have taken ALOT of running on my part to exercise him. Did the Splash and dash today. Was almost 85 degree - way to hot to run in my opinion. I could have run the whole thing were it 70 and flat - but I was miserable and walked part. Did well on the swim part though. Well, except for the fact the person who told me people would go and change in the locker room was WRONG. Everyone else wore jogging bras under swimsuits under tshirts. So as if I wasn't already the last person finishing the run part who was also going to do the swim part I then had to go change clothes, and slipped and bruised my knee in the locker room on the way back out to the pool. The lady who was monitoring the times for the swims said that my swimming was enough stronger than my running that I would have passed 3 people if I hadn't had to go change clothes. That would have been cool. Maybe next year - Hoping for cooler weather then. And after another year of running I'm sure I'll be able to HTFU a little better and keep going despite the heat. But I finished!!!

The young Mama Bear!

Congrats, MoonStar! It doesn't matter where you placed...you did it! The heat will slow you down, but that's a valid excuse. Next time you'll kick LOTS of tail. I wouldn't want to compete against you. Wink Um, guys...today I woke up and felt like I could take on the Big Kahuna today. I was still coughing, but no more sore throat and I wasn't really achy anymore. I just wanted to get past it, to prove to myself that I could do it. And... I DID IT! I was hurting a little around 5 minutes, but I was actually grinning. GRINNING! The half-mile mark came around 6:00, which is mind boggling. I do not ever do 6 minute half miles...ever. The mile mark came around 12:40 and I whooped in the air. I slowed down considerably for the last 7 minutes but I never once stopped. I wanted to soooo many times, but I didn't walk at all. Not one second. I might have been shuffling very, very slowly at one point, but I HTFU and did it. I kept thinking think about the aftermath! You'll be so proud of yourself! And I really was. Big grin What an amazing program. I have to thank my body, because it was a complete trooper today. Who knew I could jog for 20 minutes straight EVER? I ended up jogging 1.5 miles, which I'd like to think is decent considering my weight. I'm doing sub 13 minute miles at 206-ish pounds. Unpossible! I'd like to thank all of you that told me to calm down about this run. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It was freaking hard (it's 89 degrees here), but it's not impossible! Smile
              Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
              Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
              theyapper

On the road again...

goddess - awesome, awesome, awesome. I think the biggest thing I read into your post is that you've got a great handle on pacing. The 20 minute run is the biggest mental barrier to the program, and literally it seems like the rest of it downhill. Just awesome. You should be very proud. Well, today I finished up Week 5 of the OHR. I'm really enjoying the longer runs because I don't worry at all about pace or distance. I just set my sportband on time and run until I hit the mark. I even run routes I'm not used to so that I can't try to calculate how far I've gone. That allows me to focus my mental energy on breathing, shortening my stride and just listening to my body. Today, my shin had no pain and my breathing stayed regular the entire time. I even had a minute or so conversation with a friend as he drove along beside me in the middle of the run. Could I have run longer? Sure. Did I want to? Not on your life. Anyway, imagine my surprise when I got done and had gone almost 3.6 miles. Have a great week-end everyone. I know I will!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

What you're describing - it hurting most when you get up out of bed or from sitting for a while, feeling tight in the calf, getting some relief from regular stretching the calf & foot like that - sounds spot-on for PF to me. Why do you think it's not?
                  Because it does not hurt when I press anywhere on the bottom of my heel with my hands and does hurt when I squeeze the outsides of my heel. From what I've read this does not sound like classic PF. On the other hand the general treatment for run of the mill heel spurs and PF appear to be identical so it probably doesn't matter. Rest and stretching seem to be able to manage my symptoms so far. I shall add ice and ibuprofin today. Then again, I've never had to deal with this issue before; hence my asking about others experiences.
                  zzz

MoonStar...I have a chocolate lab... she has hip issues just developing too so that really takes her out of the running game.... she's only 4 years old which is just too bad. I hope your knee is ok.. that would stink getting injured now. today was roasting hot.... laurie and i got up at 4:30 to do our run then headed out to Blackwater down in North Carolina for the Special Olympics Bocce Ball Tournament... we were judges and had a great time!!! hot as blue blazes though... gonna head outta here in a few hours to go watch a UFC fight...woohooo!!! Love that stuff!! Yapper great job on your run...I can't wait until I don't have to do intervals... seems like just being able to run w/o stopping will be awesome!! oh also did my misspelling of bocce ball with the (sic?) inspire a blog post? Smile goddess.... sah-weet!!! nice job!! you go girl. chup chup your pain sounds exactly like mine... the pain is on the outside of my heel... it seems to pop up though when i have pounded the pavement too hard or stayed on my feet too long... but seems to go away after a day or two???
                      so my mom and I were going to run on friday but we keep postponing it. on friday we didn't go because I only got three hours of sleep that night. today, rather, yesterday we didn't go because my mom had to walk 5 miles in a parade. hopefully we go tonight. I am ready to finish week one already. Smile
                      Goals: Run.
                      theyapper

On the road again...

Yapper great job on your run...I can't wait until I don't have to do intervals... seems like just being able to run w/o stopping will be awesome!! oh also did my misspelling of bocce ball with the (sic?) inspire a blog post? Smile
                        Yep, that was the [sic] I saw that made me finally look it up. Of course, I wouldn't know if you spelled bocce right or not. Wink

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Wingz

Professional Noob

I agree, sounds very possibly PF. Turtlechick - what kind of dog to you have? I don't think our shih tzu will ever be able to keep up. My husband wanted a Husky - that would have taken ALOT of running on my part to exercise him. Did the Splash and dash today. Was almost 85 degree - way to hot to run in my opinion. I could have run the whole thing were it 70 and flat - but I was miserable and walked part. Did well on the swim part though. Well, except for the fact the person who told me people would go and change in the locker room was WRONG. Everyone else wore jogging bras under swimsuits under tshirts. So as if I wasn't already the last person finishing the run part who was also going to do the swim part I then had to go change clothes, and slipped and bruised my knee in the locker room on the way back out to the pool. The lady who was monitoring the times for the swims said that my swimming was enough stronger than my running that I would have passed 3 people if I hadn't had to go change clothes. That would have been cool. Maybe next year - Hoping for cooler weather then. And after another year of running I'm sure I'll be able to HTFU a little better and keep going despite the heat. But I finished!!!
                          A huge congratulations to you, MoonStar, for completing your first duathlon, for a strong finish, and for having the guts to both stick with running and to get out there and DO it! You ROCK! Cool Next year you'll have a better plan in place and do even better! I'm so proud of my big sister! Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

Wingz

Professional Noob

Goddess9 -I KNEW you were awesome! Congrats on making it through the most daunting of the runs on C25K. You can be confident now that, given the right training, you can accomplish whatever you set your mind to! Cool yapper - sounds like things are really coming together for you. You've got a great attitude about your running - one that can (literally!) take you far. Keep up the great work! Cool Chup-chup - I don't know about the squeeze the sides of the heel vs mash on the bottom of the heel. But as you kinda said, if the treatment's the same for both, the specific diagnosis doesn't seem as important in getting you better and back in the action. This would also probably be a good time to take a look at your shoes. The time I developed PF I was doing a lot of walking on tile floors and had put on a lot of weight. While it took rest, ibuprofin, stretching, and learning not to sleep on my stomach with my toes pointed hard in order to fix the acute problem, it was getting different shoes that kept it from coming back. Turns out I was overpronating while walking, which was putting stress on the bottom of my feet, and I needed more arch support. I know you're new to running. Did you by any chance have your gait analyzed at a running shoe store? A specialty shop like a running shoe store (as opposed to, say, Foot Locker) should have salespeople trained to look at the way your feet and ankles move while you're standing/walking/running and can help you pick out a shoe that will meet your specific needs. And believe me, having the right shoe makes all the difference in the world! turtlechick - I just took a peek at your log. Looks like you've got some good consistancy going. Your hard work will surely pay off! Keep it up! Cool olivars22 - Yeah, sometimes life gets in the way of running like that. The important thing is to make sure that it stays a high priority, which it sounds like you're doing. Keep on, runner! Big grin

MoonStar

Thanks Wingz. You have really helped keep me going Smile Way to go Goddess! You have now completed the hardest part of the program! Keep going strong! Yapper - think you, and the fact the heat bothered me as much as it did yesterday, convinced me to go ahead to do the OHR program. At my speed I really need to build up my time so I have some cushion to be able to complete a 5K more easily even if it is way to hot for any sane person to be running. Turtlechick - sorry to hear about your labs hip problems. Bummer. Is she able to run and play ok in the back yard happily at least? Oliviars22 - I have found that if I go to bed late I definitely have problems running the next morning. Kind of saps the energy out of me. Have found if effects me MUCH more now than it did 20 years ago (I'm 37). Keep with it though - it's definitely harder to plan runs around 2 schedules than one - you plan runs with your mom, I have to plan runs (unless I am on the treadmill) when my husband is able to watch the kids.
                                Wingz - Yes I had my gait analyzed at a running shoe store in town (Running Wild in Cedar Rapids, IA is awesome) and love my new Mizuno Wave Rider 11's. Thanks for the suggestion. Goddess9 - Congrats on the 20 minute run! Oliviars22 - It's tough planning runs with other people but definitely makes the runs more enjoyable. Good luck. MoonSstar - Congrats on the race! W1D3 of C25K completed. I'll be moving on to W2.