Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread 4/27-5/3 (Read 293 times)

Week 3.5, Day 1 is done Tongue Went out with full intentions of swallowing my doubts and just sucking it up and doing week 4...but then realized that I just wasn't ready. So, I invented my own week that is perhaps middle ground between week 3 and 4--all runs were 3 minutes, walks stayed the same. That was a challenge, but manageable w/ decent form, so it's where I'm starting this week. It's POURING rain here today, so thank heavens for treadmills! Bethanie
      Depending how I feel after work I might start Week 7 today.
      colinw

I'll be running W9D2 after work today!

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

W7D1 done! Its so funny how just a couple weeks ago 3 or five minutes seemed sooo hard and long and that just a doing that step up to 8 minutes was daunting. Now that I can do 25 minutes fairly easily 30 isnt nearly as daunting and I'm not scared I cant do it anymore!!! Oh and I am sooo excited! I went out yesterday and bought a bicycle and trailer to pull my kids in! I live in a city with great bike paths to almost everywhere I go so we will be using that as our primary transportation as long as the weather allows woot! F you big oil!!! Big grin
          Yelie
          obiebyke

Yelie, Cool, huh? All of a sudden (or at least it feels like all of a sudden), you can just do it. Congrats! And the biking thing sounds fun. Can you cart around your adorable fuzz face, too?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

wingz - thanks for the chart. Not to be disagreeable, but it makes more sense to me to do it by weeks since I try to run every other day rather than 3x/week. It's also easier to track where people are in the program. Its a 10 week program - I understand W5D1 as about half way through rather than just having a number of minutes. That being said, if Obie wants to keep it this way, that's fine. And to the rest of you reading this, I'm anticipating you will join us when you complete c25k! Big grin PolePole - I didn't finish the program in 9 weeks, but at least I finished and moved on. Do what you need to do. colinw - almost graduation day! Yeah! Yelie - You are so right. It's a mind game. The last few weeks do get easier. And welcome to the world of biking. It's great cross training, since it uses different muscle groups. It is my primary cross training as we are planning another biking vacation this summer (360 miles in 6 days!). I did OHR W1D2 yesterday in spite of illness. Its funny, when I woke up with a sore throat my first thought was I only have a little over 5 miles to make my 40 mile goal for the month, so I can't be sick!
              obiebyke

Let's do it jb's way. Cool with me. Cool with you, Wingz? By that system, I'm on OHR W5D1, take 2.

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

obie - the old way made it sound like I was right behind you! Smile I'm just on W1D3 tomorrow.
                    obie- we are actually going to attempt that tonight Big grin Theres plenty of room for her in the trailer but I have a feeling we are going to have to let her run a bit and tire her out before shed be happy to relax back there lol. jb-that was part of the reason that I even thought about getting the bike is crosstraining Smile Another benefit is that my hubby already has a bike so we can do it together when hes not working and you can get much farther and faster on a bike than walking or jogging so not so cranky kids Wink colin-youre almost there!!! keep on!
                    Yelie
                    obiebyke

jb, Second thoughts, now? Evil grin

Wingz

Professional Noob

jb944 and obiebyke - Okay, I switched it over to weeks 1 and 5. Big grin PolePole - that's really great that you created your own week. It means that you're taking active responsibility for creating your own training based on what your body needs. Cool I see it as a sign that you'll be able to adapt your training in the future as well and will be able to be a successful runner for many years. Big grin You go, girl! Colinw, wow! Almost there! What are your plans for after, again? Any thought of doing the one hour runner program? Yellie - Ain't it amazing! Makes you feel like you can do anything, doesnt' it! Good luck getting your dog to ride in the trailer! Letting her tire herself out first sounds like a good idea. I got a bike recently myself. While work's really close, school's over 20 miles away; MUCH more than I'm up to at the moment. I'm finding I'm needing to work up to biking distances, much like I needed to for running. Roll eyes At least I know it can be done!

Roads were made for journeys...

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

jb, Second thoughts, now? Evil grin
                          Nope. Just teasing you because it looks like you are way ahead now. Big grin
                          MoonStar

Not doing specific day right now. Still having horrible problems with allergies - hard to run if you have a chest full of .... Am run/walking on treadmill inside - doing 8 min run then walk until feel ready to run again for another 8 minutes. Am supposed to be on w5d3 but don't think it wise to try another long run until my lungs clear. w5d2 had 8 minute runs, so hopefully I will be able to jump back in to w5d3 when I feel better. Still going to go ahead and run/walk the 5k I was going to run on Saturday. Think I'll try to find another one for mid/late June. Maybe I'll be up to running the whole way by then Smile Wingz - glad you got another bike - be careful with this one. Is it a mountain bike or hybrid? Daisy sick with fever 103. Think she had the same allergies vs. URI and then got a superimposed infection - tuned into bronchitis/sinusitis. Started her on antibiotics today.
                            TraceyBond

i'm really struggling with my calves (the backs) cramping up when i am running. i did w2d1 today, but i've been as far up as w3d2 before. i moved back to w1 a couple weeks back because my shins and heels were killing me. turns out i needed new shoes, so i'm moving back up slowly. i tried w3d1 two nights ago and nearly keeled over. so, back to w2 i guess. slow and steady and all that. i just want to know that at some point, it doesn't hurt so much. can someone honestly tell me that will happen? i'm at some sort of psychological wall that is telling me i can't get there. i am signed up for the peachtree in atlanta for july 4. i am fine with walking part of it...no problem. but i'm really doubting myself lately. (probably bc of the combined shin splint and plantar fasciitis pain i had...i'm not having that now with new shoes but my calves cramp up something fierce in back as i run.)
                              jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

TraceyBond - are you stretching? are your warming up before you start running? are you cooling down at the end before you come to a complete stop? are you hydrated? did you get shoes properly fitted by a running store that can check your gait and provide shoes that fit your style? I cured my shin splints with toe taps. While sitting, tap toes on the floor (straight out, to the left, and to the right) until you can't do any more - then do some more. Aches and pains are common in newbies. It does get better, but you need to make sure you aren't aggravating a problem as you start out. And good shoes are very important. Hope this helps.