Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly update thread: Aug. 24 - Aug. 30th (Read 307 times)

meg - I tried Yoga a couple of times while I was in college (the group fitness classes at school were cheap!) I love it. The problem is they changed their policy so now instead of alumni getting free access to the gym and the same price for group fitness classes, I have to pay for a gym pass and then way more extra to take the group fitness classes. It's dumb. Boo school. Smile I think I might try to find a yoga video. I didn't realize it would be so complimentary with running. That might be a good thing to do on the off days. Smile MichelleD - way to get back into it! Good for you, and what a motivation boost! I'm going to run a 5k in October too! I can't wait. I never thought I would be able to do it, but this program has worked so well I can't wait for it! I think I am going to repeat week 7. I ran my third day of week 7 and it felt good. I actually got to run with my husband. He wanted to do an easy run since he ran 13 miles yesterday. Roll eyes It was nice to have a running partner for once. It was nice outside today. Misty and only about 60 degrees. Yay fall. I think I am going to do one more week of week 7 just to be comfortable before week 8.

More turtle than hare...

i know there's a lot of runners who do the early am runs- how do you get yourself out of bed and rolling that early? i need to know!!
      Thankfully, I haven't had to do the early morning runs recently, but when I did I found it most helpful to just set the alarm and grit my teeth. Once I was out of bed it wasn't that bad - I found the smug feeling of having run 30 minutes before most people were even out of bed was very motivating. Wink
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I think I might try to find a yoga video. I didn't realize it would be so complimentary with running. That might be a good thing to do on the off days. Smile
        Right now I'm using Shiva Rea's Sun Salutations DVD. I really like her as an instructor - easy to follow, not annoyingly perky and not super technical with the names of poses (ie. English names).

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

As for morning runs, I don't know if it counts as particularly early, but we get up at 6 AM for all of our weekday runs. It was a bit difficult at the beginning, but 10 weeks into at this point, it doesn't bother me a bit. We ran OHR W1D2 today. We were hoping to bump up our pace a little bit today, but we were worried about going too fast like last time, and ended up right at 10:00 min / mile again. This time, though, it was a steady pace throughout with no real kick at the end, so I feel like it still represents a little bit of increased stamina.
          2008 Goals:
          1. Finish C25K
          2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
          3. Complete One Hour Runner
          theyapper

On the road again...

Just got back from running C25K W4D2 with my son. He is really amazing me. He complained a bit about heavy legs but never once asked about stopping and he cruised through the two 8 min runs. He did ask about running the 20 minutes in cooler weather on Saturday! I told him I'd have to see if I could put an order in for mid 50s. Wink

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Baby bean!

Just came back from doing W4, D2 with DH. We didn't go as far as Tuesday because we were both exhausted and it was getting dark, but we did it!!! Big grin

Goals:
              Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

MichelleD

Well, since I'm doing week 5 out of order, yesterday I did W5D1...and I found it MUCH harder than the W5D3 20 minute run I did on Monday. Not sure why. I think I paced myself better on Monday knowing I'd have to run 20 minutes without stopping, and then yesterday I knew I'd have breaks, so I tried to run faster. Oh well. I'm mailing my registration for an October 18 5K this weekend!!! Smile

The young Mama Bear!

W6 was 3403984x worse than W5, from what I've written in my training log. W6D2 absolutely owned me.
                  Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                  Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                  erendis

well, i'm officially finished with C25K! ran the final run this morning- a little slower in pace than the other 2 runs this week, probably because i was tired plus we had a friend over last night who brought belgian chocolates with her- the sweets played havoc on my tummy- so i wasn't my usual ray of sunshine this morning. whats next? well, my husband has agreed to get up with me next week at the unheard of 5am so i can keep running in the morning during the school year. i think i'll do the "Freeway to 10k" podrunner interval program next. it takes you from 30min-1hr of running, but does it in intervals. i'm hoping going back to intervals will let me bump my pace a bit since i think it's a mental block right now, knowing i'd have to keep that pace for 30min in a row is daunting. we'll see how it goes. since it's a 10wk program that goes to one hour of running, can i post my progress here and go on the OHR chart? Big grin
                    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Pitters, try not to worry about your pace too much. You are still building a base and with more miles, your pace will gradually increase on its own. Yap, so you're the one in charge of the weather. I wish you'd told me sooner. Sushigirl, good stuff! You will rarely regret going running. I really believe getting out the door can be the hardest obstacle. WohooO, Michelle! That's awesome that you have a race picked out. I think I'll post a thread for race dates since we want to cheer each other on through those! Big grin (Michelle, check the threads at the top of the forum for the race one and add your name. Mimi, you mentioned a race so add yours too.) Goddess, isn't it amazing to look back at old note from old runs? You really can see how far the road is. Erendis, congrats on graduating C25K. You can definitely go to OHR and stay on here. (I didn't go to OHR, but I've been running varying length runs and getting longer in timke and distance.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

This is a good week. It's my last week of C25K...2 30 minute runs down...and 1 to go!
                          Erendis - Congrats on finishing C25K! Kudos for starting a new plan/goal right away too...I plan to do that too to keep my momentum going. Tomorrow morning I will complete Week 5 with The 20 Minute Run. I've decided to go to the track early in the morning to git'er done! ***edited to add: By the way, I got my very first issue of Runners World in the mail yesterday. I was chuckling on the bus this morning thinking, if someone had told me 5 weeks ago that I would have my nose buried in a running magazine at 7:30 in the morning on my way to work, I would have said, 'yeah right!'. It's like telling me today that next week I'll be enjoying 'Field and Stream' or something...unbelievable but so cool!
                          Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com

The young Mama Bear!

Meg, absolutely!
                            This is a good week. It's my last week of C25K...2 30 minute runs down...and 1 to go!
                            The last run might just be your best...I felt like I was floating and adrenaline fueled my way through all 30 minutes. Um, whatever I said about having your "friend" around not affecting your running...I take it back. Blegh.
                            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                              so i was going to do day 2 on the treadmill yesterday with my new shoes. It was soooooooooo hot. the treadmill is in my mom's room upstairs. my sister was watching a really annoying tv show. i barely made it one mile. so i tried to do day 2 again today but i went at about 530 so it was still hot out. it was bad. i ran about a mile then walked about a mile then ran the last half mile. ahhhh it's so frustrating. i'm going to try again monday.
                              Goals: Run.
                              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Olivia, heat can be frustrating but consider this and you'll probably feel better. A couple of months ago, you weren't running and now you are running that much in the heat. Besides, it can't stay hot forever and think how much easier it'll be when it gets cooler. You'll really be ahead!

Half Fanatic #9292.