Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 3/9 (Read 332 times)

Julianne R

Hello, everyone! How is it going? I'm on W4D2 now... Looking forward to hearing how others are doing ...

Loose Cannon

Hi, Julianne, You're a week ahead of me. I'm probably going to be doing week 3 more than once, though, since I didn't do any running last week. I just bought a treadmill and love it--I am happy to report that I now walk AND run on it without holding on! The only thing about this treadmill is that the speed goes up by 1/2 mph increments. I'm used to the ones at the gym that go up by .2 at a time. So I walk at 2.5 mph and jog at 3 mph. I know that sounds impossibly slow, but I'm barely 5 feet tall. Anyway, have a good week and I can't wait to hear from everyone else!
      Started C25K 2/5/08 Goal: Healthy Family Fun Run/Walk 5K WI Dells 5/10 If not ready for a 5K by 5/10: Shithouse 5K LaCrosse 7/26/08

Loose Cannon

Well, I did week 3 day 1 today and jogged all the intervals on my first try! That last 3-minute interval was tough, but I did it. You know, I really am very slow. I was thinking, at the pace I'm going, it would take me around 45 minutes to do a 5K. That's a little discouraging. Did anyone else start THAT slow?
        Started C25K 2/5/08 Goal: Healthy Family Fun Run/Walk 5K WI Dells 5/10 If not ready for a 5K by 5/10: Shithouse 5K LaCrosse 7/26/08
        obiebyke

Ladyveg, nice work! Maybe you won't need to repeat W3 after all. If you're running at 3mph, you'd complete a 5K in a little over an hour, no? That's fine! Different paces for different folks. Plus, as you add mileage, your speed will creep up, so you should be faster by race time Starting W9... Big grin A record 7.1 mile week last week. Hopefully up to well over 7.5 this week.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Julianne R

Well, I did week 3 day 1 today and jogged all the intervals on my first try! That last 3-minute interval was tough, but I did it. You know, I really am very slow. I was thinking, at the pace I'm going, it would take me around 45 minutes to do a 5K. That's a little discouraging. Did anyone else start THAT slow?
            Yea ... I'm around that pace too. I'm want to make sure I stay injury-free. I figure speed can come later.

Loose Cannon

Thanks, obiebyke! And congrats on your 7.1 mile week! I multiplied by 2 instead of 3, you're right, it's over an hour for a 5K. Wouldn't they have the race course taken down by then? Confused I read last year's results for the 5K I want to do in July, and the slowest person took 36 minutes, and he was dressed as a port-o-potty! Shocked Well, hopefully I'll speed up. Julianne, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one jogging at that pace!
              obiebyke

Check in with the race organizers. They'll let you know what the time limit is. MTA: I did it! I just ran 31 minutes without stopping! A whopping 2.63 miles! Yes I am really, really proud of myself. My lower legs really clenched up, and now my knees are a little sore (stupid pavement), but my heart rate, pace, and all that were right on track. Go me!

skinnycaponesugar

Go Obiebyke! well done Big grin

Love, Run, Sleep

Hello All, I am starting over again on the C25K. Last time I did it, I got all the way to the last week and was absolutely loving it. Running 30 mins non stop, never thought it would happen. Then winter came and I chickened out of running in the dark and rain. What a wuss! Ran my first session on Friday and it nearly killed me, but I know it's possible this time, so not so much trepidation. For any other newbies out there. This is a brilliant way to get into running. Find a good route (flat at first then add some hilly bits) and enjoy!
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

I had a good week last week. I'm still trying to figure out how to balance all the activities in my life. There are so many things that I want to do (running, tkd) or feel I need to do (schoolwork, work, housework, etc) that it seems a never-ending struggle trying to make sure nothing gets neglected. Last week I celebrated a personal milestone. I'm officially 50 pounds lighter than when I started trying to lose weight! I started at 210 while I was still gaining about a half pound a week. Ufff. That was very rough, psychologically! Lucky for me I was enrolled in a nutrition class at school that semester. I used that info to jump-start my efforts. After a little bit (maybe a month?), I started trying to run. I was probably still around 210 when I started running, but at least I'd stopped gaining weight!!! Last week I happily weighed in at 160. It's taken a long time that's for sure (I'm having trouble with placing it, but between 2-3 years, leaning towards 3), and there have been a lot of struggles. But it's worth it! I feel a lot better about myself and I can do a lot more (physically) than I used to be able to! Ladyveg - My first 5K times were about 44 minutes... and if you're only at week 3, you'll surely get faster! Wink Don't stress it! And whether or not there are people in the 1 hour range depends on the race you go to. If you pick a larger race there'll be more people on the slow end of things too. It's not a bad idea checking out last year's numbers if you're concerned about being the only one. However, some races have "recreational" categories as well as "competitive" and the "recreational" categories 1) don't pay as much money and 2) don't have their times recorded officially. As a group, they're a bit slower so are more likely to have people near the end. Wink Welcome meltchett! Smile Julianne R - Movin' right along there! You're absolutely right not to worry about speed at this point in the game. Getting a solid foundation under you first is so much more important! Get in the habit of running now, stay injury-free, gradually increase your distances, and NEXT year you can worry about speed. Wink Yes... there can be a next year if you do this year right! Cool obiebyke - Congrats on covering your time! Way to go! Big grin Chickadee - your log looks like you had a good week last week! Niiice!

Roads were made for journeys...

skinnycaponesugar

Wingz, congratulations on your weight loss milestone, that's fantastic! I know what you mean with trying to fit it all in, it is exhausting...I feel like a need a clone of myself that can do all the chores, so that I get to have all the fun Big grin As my days are getting shorter and work is starting to get a bit more serious, I feel the demands are getting greater too...tonight I had a run but it was too late, and after a day at work I was tired. I went out with my dog, but he wasn't really up for it. So we dragged ourselves a little. But we did finish Smile I am running longer each week, adding 5 min to the run. However I'm still walking 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down and I am still logging that time. I have been leaving 2 days in between runs, initially it was because I was playing softball as well, but know I might go back to only one day in between, unless I feel I need another day. When I had that second day between weeks (during my C25K) I felt a lot stronger and was able to complete that first day easily. My first ever 5K race is next Sunday. I'm a bit nervous now that the date approaches... Roll eyes

Love, Run, Sleep

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Hi Everyone, Sorry I disappeared for a few days. We were gone for the weekend and then I took a few extra days off to recover from all the walking we did! ladyveg - great job on w3. Don't worry about your speed right now - your focus now really needs to be on just moving - speed will come later. obiebyke - congrats on getting to W9. I can remember the first time through how exciting that week was for me. meltchett - welcome. I just started up again, too, so we will be going through this together. Wingz - congratulations on your weight loss. You should be very proud of yourself. I know what you mean about balancing things - it is hard to fit in everything you want to do (or need to do). chickadee - don't stress about your first 5k. Just relax and enjoy the experience. Julianne - sounds like you are moving right along. I just finished W1 today and did this run OUTSIDE! I was so excited - it was 47 and sunny for a change! I did the 5K route, so when the podcast was over for W1 I just walked the rest of the way home. It took me 47 minutes to go the 5K. Now on to W2 . . .
                          obiebyke

Wingz, that's awesome! Can you imagine running now with 50 lbs of weight strapped to your body? Yesterday was SO frustrating! I drove to work and changed at the end of the day so I could go straight to my race site after work and start doing training runs on the route, to get a feel for it. Tied my car key into my shorts lace, ready to go, and my Garmin won't power on! Dammit! I almost wanted to scrap the run, but I drove to the gym and put in my 31 minutes there. 31 minutes is definitely a challenge, and I still have to add about .5 miles to my run to hit the 5k mark, and the race is 3/23! Ack! Thankfully, on the Garmin front, their website really is helpful. I think it just locked up during charging, so I'll reset it tonight. MTA: One more day of C25K! Big grin

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I know I'm not supposed to do back to back days at this point, but yesterday was just too nice, so I did W2D1 outside. Temp was in the 50s. I am so ready for spring.

Loose Cannon

I'm ready for spring too. I did day two on Wednesday, but was waiting all freaking day for a phone call today so I'm doing day 3 tomorrow. Obiebyke, I hope your Garmin is a quick fix. Congrats on your last day of C25K! I'm just waiting until I can use my own music and get off the podcasts. Somehow I feel like I'd be more motivated listening to Girlyman than the techno-dance-whatever stuff in the Ullrey podcasts. Although I'd never actually complain about the music, since the podcasts are such a great FREE resource! Wingz, congratulations on your 50 lb milestone! I can't wait to get there...