Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Running Times and Continuous Running (Without Walking) (Read 733 times)

You Are Beautiful.

I look at people's logs from time to time and I read the little notes and thread posts people make. My partner's dad is a marathon runner (his mom is too, but she walks) and I recently learned he doesn't run the entire time, a misconception I have had forever! In fact, some of the training docs we've been reading about training for races say to stop at every aid station for 30 seconds to get a drink and stretch (quickly-ish). This isn't directed to any one person but I was just curious:

When you say you run a certain amount of time (10 minutes) and a distance (1.0 mile) and RA tells you you run a 10 min/mi, are you saying (even for those long 3-5-6-8-10 etc runs) that you ran non-stop? I try to only document the time that I ran. I might go do 4 miles on a trail but I only 'really' run (without walking) 2.75 miles. Should I really be documenting the whole 4 miles? I know I should in the sense that I'm logging miles on my equipment (my shoes) but I really just use the log more for my own running diary. Real running, IMHO.

So I just wondered if people log runs as the entire time you're outside or only the time that you are de facto running.

What is everyone's two cents? How do you log your runs? Do you frequently run the entire time or do you usually take a breather every so often? How often?

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
    Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Wingz

Professional Noob

In spite of the fact that C25K tries to wean you off walking throughout the entire program, many people run/walk as a regular way of walking.  If you want more information, look up Galloway or "Gallowalking."  There are a lot of different opinions about it, but one thing is clear: the method is used to successfully complete long distance runs.

When I was run/walking, I logged the entire distance as a "run" and took the combined time as my "run" time.  I made a separate type of run called "run/walk" to log this.

Taking walk breaks only slows you down a little bit.  If you're going to try a half-marathon in October, it might well be the best method for your sitiuation, as it is said to decrease injury and stress.

Roads were made for journeys...

My log has both incorporated, all logged as runs.  I did set up an activity for each week of C25K, figuring that way I'd know what the run and walk sections were.  But I let it calculate my times as overall times, running and walking.  Also, I figure it's worth mentioning that to keep my mom injury free, our typical run pace is quite slow...just under 15 minutes/mile.  In reality, running or walking doesn't make much difference in our time...both are about the same speed

Now today, for example, I logged the entire 8k as a "race."  I ran the first three miles or so, walked until the 4 mile marker, and then ran to the end.  Our pace stayed pretty consistent throughout the entire race.  My mom walked more than I did, but she walked with me running. 

Hi Jessica.   I am interested that you are helping your Mom with the C25K program.  One daughter is helping me(Econo), and she and I are both helping DD1.   I am just now starting week 5, and DD1 is starting to get ahead of me!    Actually, I hope she does.   Looks like your Mom is about the same speed as I.  Good for you, doing it with her.  Very nice. 

OH, and I love the beautiful horse pictures. 

Happy running to you and your Mom.  

Woods Lady

PS.   I figure the log is  for me to use, and I log everything.  I try to use different categories to better describe what I am am actually doing, and use the remarks seciton to clarify what I am doing.  The log system seems to like it best if you call the whole thing a run, so sometines I just do that, and try to let the duration section clarify what I am doing.  I really like the idea of knowing how many miles I do, no matter what the time may be. 

My guess is that you haven't been analyzing the data yet, nor would I expect that you would need to unless you're trying to spot trends and make forecasts.  C25K is all about establishing a habit and being able to sustain a run for 30 minutes or 5K and I would think that logging the journey just makes it easier for some folks to transition into a running life.  How do you want to use the data that you've been collecting? 

Good luck.

Edited to delete a bunch of idle speculation.

Baby bean!

It depends on the journey out there.  I have so many different types of 'runs' in my log.  I have all the C25K runs, then I have run/walk intervals, then maintenance runs, then a walk.  Whatever I've done, I think about where it fits.  The other day, I ran 2 miles but I walked for 2 minutes at one point.  The ratio of running to walking was like 10:1.  I counted it as a run.  But last week, I went out all ambitious and had to stop and walk several times.  I logged that as run/walk interval.  I think that having a type of run that also has walking breaks involved is helpful with this.  Running and walking are not mutually exclusive.  Many many people walk here and there on their runs.  I also think some people are able to calculate the time and distance that they walked and then log 2 separate entries for that day.  Whatever works for you. 

As for continuous runs or runs with walk breaks, I'm not at the point yet (YET!!) where I can go more than 3 miles without walking.  So for now, yeah, I still stop to walk for a minute.  I am sure that people who have been running for 30 years STILL stop every now and then.  Part of it is reading and respecting the needs of your body.  If your body needs to walk when you've run 50 times without walking, then respect that.  It's a day to day thing.

Goals:
              Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Wingz

Professional Noob

If your body needs to walk when you've run 50 times without walking, then respect that. 

YES!!!  Many people get hung up, thinking "I used to be able to run x distance/time without a break and today I feel I need to take a break so I must be a failure..."

NOT!

Learning to listen to what your body is telling you is a key skill you have to develop in order to become a lifelong runner...

You Are Beautiful.

That makes me feel a lot better. I just thought everyone was a frickin' powerhouse and didn't need to walk. I def feel better about those walk breaks now. Smile

Thank you, everyone who chimed in.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                  Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Wingz

Professional Noob

I *am* a frickin' powerhouse.  Big grin(i.e. I try to run without walk breaks.)

Today I ran 2 miles on trails in 38:29, or a 19:45 min mile.  Big grin

Last time I ran those 2 miles, it was in 28:00, or a 14:00 min mile.

In other words, every day is different and ya gotta go with the flow.

Beginner all over again

many people run/walk as a regular way of walking.  If you want more information, look up Galloway or "Gallowalking    .

I do this. 

I will "walk 1 minute" then do a Jogging segment, the walk 1 minute, then do a jogging segment.

I never plan to give up my "walk 1 minute" segment.

I started C25K 3 months ago, and I"m still on Week #1.  I still can't jog a full minute in a row. 

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I'm a big fan of Galloway and plan to do my first half in August doing a run/walk method.  It is much easier on my body and my times are actually faster than if I ran the whole thing.