Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: Oct 26 - Oct 31 (Read 252 times)

iang999

Hi all, new week, so a new thread. Did the W6D3 run 25 min yesterday. Not too bad but I found that I had done the return trip quicker than the outward one so had to run round the car park a couple of times (parking lot to you ppl over there). I use a nice flat trail that used to be a railway so it is away from traffic and crowds and starts at my local leisure centre - hence the car park. This is a great training plan as I was getting absolutely nowhere attempting to build up my fitness by simply going out and running for as long as possible. Just waiting for the weight to melt away... Blush Let's keep at it and good running to all. Big grin
    Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
    Keep running regularly 3 times a week
    Weight loss
    Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
    Get weekly mileage up to 20
      Sidelined until I see my doctor today. After W1D3, I couldn't even make it home before the pain in my back got so bad, every stride of each leg was agony so I had to walk home (luckily I had already done just over 20 minutes so I'm totally counting it!). Then the back was sore for 2 days afterwards. I went hiking yesterday and my back is so-so today. My doctor is also a D.O. so I'm interested to see what he has to say. My chiropractor said no running ever, and I need a 2nd opinion!!! I'm still moving - walking, doing my neighbor's stationary bike every now & again, and hiking -- but I really miss not being able to run. There's really nothing like it. I love it. Sad

Michelle

I'm going to take it easy today. I ran my 1st 5k this last Saturday so I am taking it slow for a couple days. My race report is on the race report post that Meg started. Feel free to check it out. Hikerchick8 - I hope it goes well with the doctor, way to keep moving.
        johnnfrankfort

kind of cold this evening so i went to the treadmill. wk 3 d1 down again...
          goals: complete c25k 2 miles in 15 min
            Yeah... I'm out. The doctor said he's not sure if he'd diagnose it the same as the chiropractor but in any event some of the sharp pain I have is a precursor to a slipped disc (or bulging disc, he said both - same thing?). And that always happens right after I run. Of course after I told him all of that, then I felt stupid saying "but can I still run?" Roll eyes Duh. He thinks I probably have a torn ligament, not spondylolithesis, but that the ligaments can take a really, really long time to heal. He said no running, period, for at least 6 months to a year. I guess I agree. After a run, sometimes I'll be standing in the kitchen, in no pain at all. Then I take a step, and my leg buckles, with stabbing pain in my lower back. I'm lucky, he says, that it goes away nearly immediately (that's the "precursor" he said to the slipped disc and that my body is trying to tell me something). So. Now what? The problem is not just exercise. I can walk 3 to5 miles a day, fine. I can go for a bike ride, fine. But it's not the same. You fellow runners get that. Running is different. But, if I don't listen to my doctor, I won't ever run again, so I suppose I'll do all the exercises he is suggesting, take the glucosamine, and hope for the best in 6 months. Smile I'll leave the group, but I'll come back in 6 months & try again!!

Michelle

Katerose

Hikerchick8, I'm so sorry to hear about your back. Take care of yourself so that you don't do any permanent damage. As johnnfrankfort said it is cold out there and dark. It's hard getting up early because it's dark and cold and it gets dark so early at night. Blahh. I plan on running outside tonight right after work. My first 5K is on Sunday!! Eekkk.. Great job mimi73!
              iang999

Hi I'm back (in more ways than one Smile). So lucky I realise after reading of the health issues of others. Get well soon to all with those problems. Just back after my first W7 run - 25 mins. Nearly put this off due to bad weather, cold rain, dark and breezy turning to sleet at the end. But what made me get out the door was this: 1. Skipping runs is what got me into this weight problem in the first place, do I want to slip back? 2. The weather maybe worse tomorrow so if at all possible go out now! 3. Remember this inspiring article about a cancer survivor who ran against all the odds. If she could do it then I have no excuse. Just get out there and run. Here: http://www.c25k.com/jenny.htm All in all it was better than I dared hope. Remember that we do improve but it takes dedication. Hickerchick8 - I once had a bad back problem, they can get better look forward to that day.
                Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
                Keep running regularly 3 times a week
                Weight loss
                Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
                Get weekly mileage up to 20
                  so i'm done. I did IT! Big grin I'm hoping to keep up the three miles through gymnastics and winter
                  Goals: Run.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Well my training has yet again fizzled out with a high demand for work and school. 4 nights a week I'm in school and 3 of those 4 nights I'm in school past 9pm and up at 5am to go to work. Well this week (actually started yesterday) I have decided that I just need to do it so i don't loose it. I am on my walkfit (self propelled walk/treadmill) and I'm waking up at 4:30am to get it done, it's only a half an hour and I'm going to do it Mon, Wed and Fri then I'll run Sat and Sun and hopefully won't loose any distance until december when school ends and I have more time to run! On a better note, my spring semester I'll be in school only 2 nights a week! I can't wait!
                    -Jen
                    2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                      Hikerchick8 - I'm so sorry about your having to wait 6 months to run. I hope you get better in that time, and find the joy in the activities you can do while you wait. Roll eyes oliviars22 - Congrats on finishing! Cool iang999 - I, too, found that story inspirational. Good going on the 25 mins. Keep at it! I just did W9D2 of C25K this morning. That means Saturday's my graduation day! I'm SO going to get hubby to take a picture of me as I finish. I'll probably post it on my blog if it's not too gross. LOL Big grin
                      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I can so relate to your posts about it being cold and dark. I haven't had to run in the dark, but I do have concerns about how that will go. I did a run in windpants the other day because of the windchill. Then it's been unseasonal the last couple of days so I'm back to running in shorts. Crazy! Clowning around The longer it stays nice, the better.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Since I have a short vacation, I could run during the day and not in the dark, but when I ran this morning the world was still cold and misty. Everything was covered with a tiny layer of frost. But despite the cold, I had a really good run (W2D1 OHR).

Running in Belgium
                          Ann

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey guys! It's been awhile since I checked in but I see lots of progress. Great job! My son finished C25K this week! I was so proud. 10 years old and he's run more than I did before my adult years. Wow! My wife has taken the C25K challenge as well and will finish W3 today. Keep it up, everyone!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Glad to hear that everyone has been making decent progress. Hikerchick, that's a bummer; hope it heals up nicely! Our runs got shuffled around a bit due to work and sickness; nonetheless, we finish up OHR W9 tomorrow. I've gone out on a couple of runs by myself the last couple weeks, and it's been really fun to push myself hard.
                              2008 Goals:
                              1. Finish C25K
                              2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
                              3. Complete One Hour Runner
                                I just finished C25K today! I couldn't have imagined it just 9 weeks ago. Smile