Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 28 - Aug 2 (Read 494 times)

Congrats on your weight loss Moonstar! I've been stuck for like six months now, just this morning I said to myself, if I'm going to reach my mini-goal of 215 by the end of the year, I need to get crackin. I think I'm going to add some weight training, I used to do that but have really slacked off in the last year (since joining a new gym....why is it so intimidating to use weights in a new gym???). Anyway, breaking through a barrier is such an adrenaline kick and you should totally be proud of yourself-congrats!
    2009 Goals:
    PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
    Run a 10K
    Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
    Complete my first Sprint Tri
      Sounds like everyone is off to a good week Big grin Jenn: Hang in there. Listen to your body. It is talking to you for a reason!!! I was out of town with my daughter at a volleyball tournament Thursday through Saturday. I did W7D2 at the hotel on the treadmill and boy is this getting easier. I finally don't feel like I'm going to die Dead Did W7D3 last night on the bike trail. (Same exact location as the 5K that I'm running on 8/16). I ran very steady. Have no idea how far, but I ran a nice pace, was able to talk through the whole thing, and felt like I could keep going even after the 25 minutes was up. Thank you to everyone for your advice on slowing down. It isn't so dreadful when my breathing is steady. My goal is to get under 40 minutes in the 5K. I start W8D1 tomorrow. Maybe I'll run on the high school track so I can get a better idea of how far I'm going in 25 minutes. Good luck to everyone this week! Happy & Safe Running Cool
      Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.
      MoonStar

OHR w2d3 done. Ankle lasted until the last minute so I think it's improving. Still having trouble concentrating on my toe. Found off I don't push off very hard on it - was feeling slight pull in my arch when I was pushing more with it. Maybe I'll try a pair of arch supports as I used to have high arches once upon a younger life.
        zzz

wow it sounds like eveyrone is doing great!! Tonight is start of week 5 day 1... we'll see how it goes.. i'll let y'all know Big grin Jenn and wolfie awesome that you are on the last week... i can't wait to get to that point... i went and picked up marthoning for mortals by john bingham... have any of you ever read it? unlapsing so sorry to hear about your bunny... it's hard to lose a pet. I hope you start to feel better soon. Pitters very cool that your wife runs with you... my dh isn't into it YET Big grin

The young Mama Bear!

I can't even name everybody since everyone has so much good news...but congrats! Moonstar, you're doing this for weight loss too, right? Well right on, sister. Wink I'm so sorry about your rabbit, unlapsing. My other furry girl died this year, and I know how much that hurts. Best wishes! Sad I did W7D2, and I have a bit to say about it. First, I went to the park to jog for a change. Little did I know that the park has minor inclines and sharp turns! The circuit was huge, but I have no idea how long it was. Maybe a mile around. I wanted to stop about 3 minutes into (I'm starting to notice a pattern here with me and the long runs...), but I kept on. I switched my F4's display to heartrate instead of time, and only checked it when I finished a circuit. That made the time go by MUCH quicker. At the end, I put on my old friend, "Just As You Imagined", around the 24 minute mark. It gave me that push I needed (and it's now my official power song)...I lengthened my stride and gave it my all until it ended - in fact, I wouldn't let myself stop until the song ended. I ended up jogging 28:30 and lapping the park 3 times! Surprised That's about 9:30 laps right there. ETA: the circuit is about .7 miles long...hm. I actually had the urge to tear up around the 26:00 mark. Not a bad tearing up, just the adrenaline pumping. Anyone else get strong reactions while running? I also get easily startled. I guess now I know that I'm more than capable of finishing off W8, eh?
            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Goddess, that's awesome. And I can totally relate to switching off the time. I ran the other day without looking at my timer at all. I started it at the beginning and didn't check it until the end and I found it really freeing not to know where I was timewise. I could just go.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

theyapper

On the road again...

These threads just get more and more encouraging. You guys are doing awesome and there is plenty to be proud about here. Goddess, the part about you tearing up was cool - you've worked hard to get to where you are and the best is still ahead! I've got to post about my day yesterday. I got up early to do my 30 minute run for OHR W7D1 and it went okay. I think I posted about that already. But the best part was when my children got home from school, my one son was talking about wanting to run. He's 10 and not very athletic, but he was motivated. We've done some of this before and he didn't really stick with it, but that's cool. I'm going at his pace, on his time table. I want him (and my other children) to want it. Anyway, we go out after supper. It's me, my 2 sons (twin 10 yr olds), my daughter (5) and my wife. We decide to jog very easy and slow to the end of our road and back, which is half a mile. Well, when we got back my son wants to run a little more so I agreed we'd run back to the stop sign and then walk home. That would be .75 of a mile which I thought was plenty for now. He decided to go ahead and run the whole mile! The whole family ran and walked together and it was a blast! When we were done I decided to run a bit more since I was good and sweaty and so I took off on a hilly route not really trying to go fast, but I definitely thought, "I'll see what kind of a time I can get for a mile." I kept the shorter strides but really increased the rate of my steps and when I was done I had run the mile in just over 8 minutes (8:16 to be exact)! Well, when all the runs, walks and cooldowns were added up, I had covered 6.8 miles in one day. Amazing. For all of you starting out, I never ran until mid-April. I followed C25K to the letter and am now doing the OHR program to the letter. It works, guys. It really works. Oh, and my one son told me today that he wants to do the C25K.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Could you nudge me ahead to Week 8 in the bar graph? I just completed W7D3! I am doing treadmill runs for now because it is 92 degrees and feels like the air is water outside. But, I'm still makin' progress! Yes!!! Big grin Thanks for the encouraging threads. Big grin MTA: My friend, Lisa, has been coming to the gym with me and walking while I did my running workouts. Today when I showed up, she was running! She had looked up C25K and was doing W1D1. I'm so proud and excited for her!

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

Jazz hands!

Hi everyone! Today I did whatever day/week of 6MR I'm on now. Week 4? Is that where I jumped to? Week 4, day 1. Sure. I forgot to bring running socks with me, so I did it sockless. It was weird, sweaty, and my pinkie toes could be happier, but I survived it. My left IT band is being a little wonky, though, so I should probably go stretch that. Does anyone else have a hard time remembering to do their therapy stuff (quad exercises, IT band stretches, toes taps) when it doesn't actually hurt?
                    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                      W3D1 yesterday. My mom complained a lot. I didn't think it was that bad. Well that's about all.
                      Goals: Run.
                        Another not so great run last night. But I'm trying to look at the positives. The bad aspect was that I only made it 1.25 miles before my leg pain was severe enough to make me stop. The good news is 1) I ran outside, something that is a huge mental hurdle for me, and harder than regular TM running; 2) My breathing was great, I didn't get all huffy and out of breath like normal; 3) I hopped in the brook about 5 minutes after I stopped running and that cold mountain water felt GREAT on my sore legs; and 4) I took my dog running with me for the first time. I have neglected to so before because I always assumed she'd pull me along since she doesn't walk loose-leash most of the time, but she did great! I think she really enjoyed being able to trot along fast, although she was a little annoyed that she couldn't stop and smell the roses along the way. But I rewarded her with the dip in the brook and on the walk back home we meandered along and she was free to smell and jump around and be crazy. Best of both worlds for us Smile Meeting with my sister tonight to learn some techniques for taping my legs to hopefully ease some of my shin pain. I'm disappointed that I am SO CLOSE to the end of C25K, but I know I should not be pushing myself beyond my comfort zone with my legs so iffy. But that's OK, even if it takes me 4 months to complete C25K, I'll have done it!!! So exciting.
                        2009 Goals:
                        PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                        Run a 10K
                        Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                        Complete my first Sprint Tri
                          Ran W3D2 of C25K this morning with Copper. I feel pretty good. The plantar fasciitis seems to be managed with stretching alone. The only problem is a dull ache which is perhaps more accurately described as a numbness in my heel during my normal work day. More of a nuisance than anything. I'm also planning on working on my core on my off days starting tomorrow. I found a 15 minute core workout plan on the RW web site which I think I can do. I am sick of working around my gut (yes, I know that diet has a lot more to do with that). Smile What is everyone else doing on their off/rest days?
                          theyapper

On the road again...

OHR W7D2 is done! Tonight I'll probably be doing W1D2 of C25K with my children. That'll be fun. Man, it is so humid. That can ruin an otherwise fun run, can't it? Undecided

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Chupchup: On my in between days, I go to the gym, walk 10 mins on the TM, then do upper body and lower body strength training and work abs. I have been doing a weight loss program at my gym and that was before I started running. So, the gym was already part of my regular workout. Jenn: So sorry to hear about the pain! It sounds like you are being positive and encouraged though, so I'm glad to hear that! Remember, this is only for a season and it too shall pass! So, I'm at the gym doing my warmup walk on the TM, and I wanted to RUN... I wanted to run so bad! The girl beside me was running and I was so jealous. I know that my body needs a rest day... so I continued to walk....but I really wanted to run. I guess that's a good sign Big grin Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday Wink
                              Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.
                              erendis

hey all! just found your group, and i'm on week5 just finished day 2 this morning. its getting TOUGH!! definitely running very very slowly, but i feel like a million bucks when i'm done Big grin
                                I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso