Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 28 - Aug 2 (Read 494 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

hey all! just found your group, and i'm on week5 just finished day 2 this morning. its getting TOUGH!! definitely running very very slowly, but i feel like a million bucks when i'm done Big grin
    Welcome to the group! There's nothing wrong with going slow. Going slow will let you run longer without injuries. The way to get faster is by running further so the more slow runs you do, the better you'll get. If you need to repeat a tough week, feel free to do that. Feeling awesome at the end of a run is the best!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

The young Mama Bear!

Thanks, Meg and Yapper! It wasn't a bad crying, it was just strange in general. Everyone seems to be doing great. Keep it up.
      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
      redleaf

Just thought I'd say hi - I'm doing something very similar to the C25K (hope it's okay that I'm not doing the exact same thing) and found all the stuff from this group really a lot of fun to read. Everyone is doing great and very supportive. My program has 13 weeks in it and this morning I did Week 4 Day 2. Thanks

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Tortoise

W5D3... ... and oh my God, I DID IT! If you'd told me six weeks ago that in six weeks I would be able to run for 20 minutes straight, I would have laughed SO hard. I took a hint from goddess9 and switched the function on my watch so that just flashing zeroes were visible, and everyone who told me that this run would be a mental hurdle rather than a physical one was absolutely right. I honestly think that I would have struggled a lot more with this if I'd been able to just glance down at the timer. I figured out roughly how far along my route I would get in a MINIMUM of fifteen minutes and swore that I wouldn't check the time before I got to that point, and then when I got there I added a little more... and a little more... and a little more again, and by the time I actually looked, it was 18:44, and I found that there was enough HTFU left in me to speed up a little bit for the last minute so that I could hit a fixed point at the finish (instead of the middle of a bridge!). I didn't count my warm up walk today like I usually do, so I did 1.7 miles just running and I feel so so so so good. I'm sitting here grinning like an idiot. Big grin
          "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

theyapper

On the road again...

Just thought I'd say hi - I'm doing something very similar to the C25K (hope it's okay that I'm not doing the exact same thing) and found all the stuff from this group really a lot of fun to read. Everyone is doing great and very supportive. My program has 13 weeks in it and this morning I did Week 4 Day 2. Thanks
            Woo-hoo! Almost a third of the way through your program! That's great. Glad to have you aboard.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

running buddies

Ran W3D2 of C25K this morning with Copper. I'm also planning on working on my core on my off days starting tomorrow. I found a 15 minute core workout plan on the RW web site which I think I can do. I am sick of working around my gut (yes, I know that diet has a lot more to do with that). Smile What is everyone else doing on their off/rest days?
              I walk the dogs every day I don't run with them, and I go to an aerobics class 2-4 times a week - I think music just motivates me. My iPod is helping a lot with my running. The class includes some weight training, and core/ab work - I just can't get myself to work my abs unless someone is making me. I also found this in the Ladies Locker Room, and am thinking about getting my kids or husband or friend to join me in it: http://hundredpushups.com/ Yapper - humidity kills me. I couldn't figure out why my last 30 minute run felt so much harder than the 45 minute run until I realized the humidity had really increased.
              "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
              redleaf

Sefkhet - congrats! As for off/rest days: I've just added some swimming on my off days - my overall goal is to do a tri next year so I'm adding each component one at a time for now. It's been ages since I've been swimming (as opposed to floating and splashing about) so it's kinda fun. I took some lessons last summer and I'll see what our local pool is offering... We (DH and I ) are also getting a personal trainer to work out with once a week. and one day a week where I do nothing! (except walk to and from work if it's a work day)

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

The young Mama Bear!

Today is my "complete" off day (no exercise of any kind), but on non-running days, I try to weight train or do some cardio...or both. Wink
                  Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                  Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                    We did W3D2 today. I brought my dog. He was great. the first time we did the 400 yards this week it was hard but today it was easier. We've decided to do distance. Also today I had to run for gymnastics. I was running at my usual 15/mile pace and all the girls were saying how they could walk at the same pace I was running. I ran the whole mile and they had to walk a lot Wink. We ran to 7-11 and got slurpees Big grin
                    Goals: Run.
                    theyapper

On the road again...

I also found this in the Ladies Locker Room, and am thinking about getting my kids or husband or friend to join me in it: http://hundredpushups.com/
                      I'm almost halfway through that program.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sefket, very cool! Wait until you see how great the next run goes. You'll really be grinning. Redleaf, you are more than welcome. We are all new runners in this group mostly and support really helps as you get going. Wink Runswithdogs, my DH is going to try the 100Pushups now that his ball season is over. I can't decide if I'm going to as well or not.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

That hundredpushups.com sounds like a fun challenge. I wonder if I can get my soon to be 11 year old boy to do ti with me? I knew you guys would come up with something! Thanks all!
                          zzz

Hey all.... I have been lurking just a little bit this week.... Lauri has strep and pneumonia and my throat is really starting to hurt quite a bit too and I am getting a pretty tight chest cough.... W5D1 done on treadmill which is always easier for me... our heat index last night at 9:30 pm was 109 so no no outside for me.... It sounds like everyone is doing great. I have boys to get to an early am football practice so I am outta here. Smile Everyone have a wonderful day!!!
                              I started the 100 push-ups about four weeks ago. I was sooo bad when I started. My first set was 2-2-2-2-5. Yesterday I did 7-7-5-5-7! I'm still way behind and not even close to 100, but I can't begin to tell you how awesome it feels to do that many with confidence! It's a fun challenge. (Wingz started a RA group to support those doing the challenge) I did W9D2 last night. I ran my favorite hiking trail with my dog. It was an awesome run. I knew that I'd have some tough hills at the end. I just took them slow and completed them all. My inspiration this week: Jamie Donaldson. Yeah. Every time I think that I'm having a tough run. I just think of her rocking this Badwater course!!
                              ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                                Hey all, W6D3 done as of last night. I was really tired afterwards so I think I must have been pushing it too hard - I guess we'll how the 25 minute runs in week 7 go.