Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 28 - Aug 2 (Read 494 times)

More turtle than hare...

Hey all, sounds like everyone is doing great. I did 6k this morning, but made myself go reeeeeally slow, since I've been feeling really run down lately. Not surprisingly, going slower was a good thing - when will I ever learn speed is not the goal? Roll eyes A funny thing, goddess mentioned tearing up during a run. I find I'm pretty emotional while I run, too. Today I was listening to an interesting podcast and spent most of my time grinning and laughing. Then, there was an interview with a couple who'd been married for 58 years and were still in love... I went from laughing to crying in seconds - they were so sweet. Hopefully no one was looking at me or they'd have thought I was nuts!

running buddies

Just thought I'd let everyone know I'm still here.
      Hey Gruetzgirl - How's that Buzz Off hat working for you?
      "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)

running buddies

My inspiration this week: Jamie Donaldson. Yeah. Every time I think that I'm having a tough run. I just think of her rocking this Badwater course!!
        OMG. Who thinks up this kind of torture race? How can anyone move when it's 125 degrees, let alone run for 26 hours, up hill? Thanks for sharing this link.
        "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
          Hey Gruetzgirl - How's that Buzz Off hat working for you?
          It's not. It doesn't work at all. I guess I'm suprised that I see it so often...seems to be selling well at sports stores, but I really don't think it works. Bummer.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

C25K Week 6 completed. We could have fun faster on D3, but we're both suffering emotional fatigue (my wife's grandfather died yesterday morning) so we took it a bit easy. I can't believe that we are done with all of the interval runs!
            2008 Goals:
            1. Finish C25K
            2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
            3. Complete One Hour Runner
              Well, did W8D1 last night on the treadmill. I have now officially ran longer (27 mins) than I ever have Big grin The run went well. I felt good the whole time. But...then I was shot for the night. I ran at 4:30pm. Went home, ate, showered and napped from 6:15 until 7:30. I was done. I had no energy for the rest of the evening. How long until this doesn't happen? Getting in shape is great and all...but if I'm worthless for the rest of the evening...it stinks. Any thoughts Confused Happy Running to all Smile
              Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.

The young Mama Bear!

Honestly, I have a bit of reading ADD and there are so many people here now that I cannot properly congratulate everyone separately...so WOOOOOOOO to everyone! Big grin That woman, Meewolfie...that's CRAZY. I honestly cannot imagine running 5+ marathons. I'm proud that I can now do 2 miles! She killed it, though...go girl. Pitters, I'm very sorry to hear that. Congrats on finishing all of the intervals of this program though...doesn't it feel good? Kelly, I don't actually get tired by the jogs. Yes, they take alot out of you but I have all this energy afterwards. I'm a day behind you but there's a learning curve...before running, I used to do a bunch of cardio so I might be a little more 'conditioned'. Confused So, W7D3 is done. I definitely wasn't really in the right mindset for this run...I had to put one of my ferrets to sleep two days ago and I took a day off from working out so I would relax and get some stress-relief. I knew I could finish this 25 minute jog but I was worried about W8, so I kept thinking 'All you have to do is jog 28 minutes.' Tricking myself into thinking I actually had to jog that long made the jog somewhat bearable. There was this sprinter in the park...he scared the crap outta me because the park looked pretty empty and he zoomed by me! He ended up stopping about 1/4 mile up past me and he started walking. Guess what? I ended up passing him, even though he was being a "showoff". Big grin I actually ended up looking back, and he was so far behind me! I guess now I know that the tortoise really can beat the hare. I ended up jogging more than 2 miles...but the kicker was that I actually ended up jogging 29:22! I had my watch's display changed to heart rate, and my song came on...I can't stop during that song, I really can't. I ended up almost crying again...I swear to Bob, that's so weird! It's not like I'm in pain, and it's not like I WANT to cry. It just ends up happening and I feel like a weirdo because I'm out of breath and almost crying. LOL. I think that for the remainder of the jogs, I can effectively remember my late ferrets (I've lost both of them within the span of a year) and get through the jogs by imagining I've got them right beside me, jogging with me. Makes me cry thinking about it, but I know the little ones would have really enjoyed jogging alongside me in their harnesses. And since the jogs late in C25K are more mental, I think that would make the time fly. Oh, and they wouldn't have enjoyed the run under my neighbor's sprinkler I did today. Wink
                Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                theyapper

On the road again...

Another great thread full of wonderful stuff. And now, a word to all here because there are so many... "Go, you!"

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

OH, CRAP.... Lauren...you just made me realize...I only ran 27 minutes...it should have been 28! I will be sure to remember that when I run tomorrow!!! You are probably right about me getting tired. I had only been dieting/exercising for 2 weeks when I started C25K... I just need to be in better shape to not feel exhausted. 16 days until first 5K Surprised Good job all! So proud of everyone. Wink
                    Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.

running buddies

It's not. It doesn't work at all. I guess I'm suprised that I see it so often...seems to be selling well at sports stores, but I really don't think it works. Bummer.
                      Rats. Thanks for saving me the bucks, though.

More turtle than hare...

I can effectively remember my late ferrets (I've lost both of them within the span of a year) and get through the jogs by imagining I've got them right beside me, jogging with me.
                        We had ferrets a couple years ago. They're the cutest, most optimistic animals ever! But, maybe ours were a little, um, challenged because they would never be able to stay focused long enough to run with me. They'd rather run around in circles until they got tired, then find some cozy drawer or laundry basket to sleep in... Cool
                          Went home, ate, showered and napped from 6:15 until 7:30. I was done. I had no energy for the rest of the evening. How long until this doesn't happen? Getting in shape is great and all...but if I'm worthless for the rest of the evening...it stinks. Any thoughts Confused
                          I usually run at about 4 in the afternoon, so we're on similar schedules. I find that as long as I stay busy I'm OK but once my butt lands on that couch at 8 pm, look out! My typical schedule is run 4-4:30, run errands as needed, home around 6 or 6:30, laundry, dishes, cook dinner, wake up DH (he works overnights)....by that time it's usually about 8 and I am ready to crash. it's all I can do to stay up until 10 when DH leaves for work. I almost never get that post-workout energy spike that a lot of other people talk about. Other exercises don't wipe me out like running, particularly in the last few weeks of 25+ min runs. Ran last night with my taped leg....didn't seem to help as I didn't even make it a mile before having to stop from the pain, but oddly enough the pain felt a little different, more of a serious muscle cramp than the shin splints I was getting, and this morning I don't have the residual ache that's usually present so maybe the tape did work to some extent. My sister warned me that because I'm realigning everything connected to my feet, I might get sore in different places as my body gets used to the new position, so maybe that's it. Will try to run this weekend. I am trying to at least keep running a mile 3X a week, and I'm supplementing with biking or elliptical to try to maintain my fitness level, I've made it so far it's scary to think I might be set back for a month and lose all that I've worked for!
                          2009 Goals:
                          PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                          Run a 10K
                          Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                          Complete my first Sprint Tri
                            I am trying to at least keep running a mile 3X a week, and I'm supplementing with biking or elliptical to try to maintain my fitness level, I've made it so far it's scary to think I might be set back for a month and lose all that I've worked for!
                            Hang in there, Jenner!!!

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

erendis

just finished week 5 day 3!! oh man was that tough, but since i had just read your HTFU thread yesterday, i knew i had to well... HTFU!!
                              I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso

The young Mama Bear!

We had ferrets a couple years ago. They're the cutest, most optimistic animals ever! But, maybe ours were a little, um, challenged because they would never be able to stay focused long enough to run with me. They'd rather run around in circles until they got tired, then find some cozy drawer or laundry basket to sleep in... Cool
                                HAHA, I honestly don't think they would have been able to skitter in a straight line, much less the curves of a park! They are adorable, though. I plan to own more in the future...just not now. Kelly, the time you're jogging might be the culprit. If you can't do it at any other time so be it, but all that food is still sitting there and might be making you feel tired as a result. I try to squeeze in a jog between breakfast and lunch so I don't have that problem. I tried to jog an easy mile before dinner once and it hurt! erendis, WOOOOOO!!!! Cool That's possibly the most 'daunting' jog in the program, so pat yourself on the back! I'll update those charts...you've earned it. Smile Pitters, I've got you in there as well...so keep going!
                                Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                                Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.