Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 28 - Aug 2 (Read 494 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

just finished week 5 day 3!! oh man was that tough, but since i had just read your HTFU thread yesterday, i knew i had to well... HTFU!!
    WohooO! Good for you!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

erendis

I knew I could finish this 25 minute jog but I was worried about W8, so I kept thinking 'All you have to do is jog 28 minutes.' Tricking myself into thinking I actually had to jog that long made the jog somewhat bearable.
      isn't it amazing what we can accomplish by using mental games? i've done this before too, and it always works, which is crazy since you KNOW you're lying! mind over matter FTW Cool
      I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
        Ran W3D3 of C25K around 11:30 am on a hot, humid Iowa day with Copper. We are both exhausted ... should have gone slower ... but we made it. I'll be moving on to week 4 next week. Smile I am so jealous of those that are doing this with a spouse. I cannot convince mine to get involved in exercise of any kind except volleyball. Sad Maybe someday. Sigh.
        theyapper

On the road again...

What a great run this morning. Up at 6:15 am and on the road for my OHR Week 7 ending 45 minute run. Yes, folks, that's 45 minutes! As my wife said, "In a row??" Hard to believe that this non-runner as of almost 4 months ago is now running - and not dying while doing it! - 45 minutes non-stop! My only goal was to hopefully cover 4 miles, but I didn't want to push it. The long runs aren't the times to break pace records, that's for sure. Anyway, I was relaxed and breathing fairly normally when I glanced down at my watch for the first time and saw that I was in my 37th minute. I smiled knowing how good I felt and then I thought, "I wonder if I can get 4 miles?" I upped the pace just a fraction, but made sure I was still upright and not extending my strides too far. I had an idea where I needed to end my run to be somewhere past 4 miles and thought I could make it until I glanced back at the watch and saw 43. I realized it was gonna be close so I picked up the pace again - I've never turned my strides over so fast!! Big grin But my breathing was still steady so I kept at it. That last minute was the most amazing minute of running! I kept increasing my pace and yet my breathing stayed steady - this was the payoff of all those weeks of C25k and OHR! At 45 minutes on the dot I stopped my sportband watch and waited to see how far I'd gone. Imagine my response when I saw....... 3.99 miles! Shocked How many steps did I miss 4 miles by? Actually, none. My Nike+ is notorious for being off a tenth of a mile on the short side and when I went back and drove it, I was over 4 miles by a hair. I'm averaging it all out and saying 4. Cool Wow, that was almost longer than a goddess post. Wink Hope I didn't bore you. Week 8 begins Monday.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Hi everyone! So I have been running/not running for a few months now. After receiving a call recently from my sister saying that she and another sister want to run a 5K with me and asking me tips on starting C25K I decided I better get my arse into gear and get on the road! So I worked out this entire program that will keep my accountable on a daily basis and so far so good it's working! I may have to tweak it though, because I haven't been running much and since we moved a few months ago it's a completely different course then I'm used to I'm having issues running long distances again, I really want to jump ahead in the C25K program but I'm thinking it might be best just to start at square 1 and work from there... Sad
            -Jen
            2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

The young Mama Bear!

Wow, that was almost longer than a goddess post. Wink Hope I didn't bore you.
              Them be fightin' words! Angry I'm a writer by trade, I'm allowed to be wordy. Wink I think I got everyone on the charts caught up...if I messed up anything, please feel free to correct it.
              Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
              Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                Them be fightin' words! Angry I'm a writer by trade, I'm allowed to be wordy. Wink I think I got everyone on the charts caught up...if I messed up anything, please feel free to correct it.
                Goddess - can you move me ahead to week 8 please? The charts look fabulous Big grin

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

The young Mama Bear!

Goddess - can you move me ahead to week 8 please? The charts look fabulous Big grin
                  Sure can. Big grin Hold on, if you are in W8, you haven't finished it. The bars count for finished weeks. My brain! Confused
                  Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                  Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                    Sure can. Big grin Hold on, if you are in W8, you haven't finished it. The bars count for finished weeks. My brain! Confused
                    Oh...weird. Why does it go up to 10 then, when there are 9 weeks in the program? I assumed you moved to 10 when you finished week 9 and graduated. Wouldn't you move to week 8 when you finish week 7? I must have been off this whole time!??? Garsh. Tongue MTA: I think I thought "What week are you on?" meant what week are you currently working on. So, I'm working on week 8, right? Maybe we need to re-name it to what week did you finish...or maybe I'm just being silly and confused Confused Wink

Wingz

Professional Noob

It goes up to 10 because it's a free internet program and that's how it's set up - in 2's. When no one is on week 9, it'll only go up to 8. I can't change the colors for the weeks either. But it's free. And it's accessable. I had been graphing according to what week you said you were on. So, if you said you were on week 8, the graph would read 8. Right now, unlapsing is on week 9, so their graph reads 9. Got it? Smile Don't stress so much - this is supposed to be the easy part!

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

goddess, I don't have a problem with you updating the charts, but you might want to talk with Meg and Yapper so that you guys work out who's doing what so that things don't get missed or done twice. Smile Looks nice from here!

Roads were made for journeys...

Thanks...that makes sense. So it will stay what week you're ON? I was just SO excited to move on to Week 8 on the graph when I finished Week 7 that I guess I kinda freaked out with the change to finished weeks. Wink I'm totally excited about the colorful new charts!

theyapper

On the road again...

goddess, I don't have a problem with you updating the charts, but you might want to talk with Meg and Yapper so that you guys work out who's doing what so that things don't get missed or done twice. Smile Looks nice from here!
                            As far as I'm concerned, goddess has proven she's the go to person for the charts, and thus, I deem it so. Smile I do reserve the right to peek in from time to time and learn. (Well, unless Meg has a problem with it) Wink

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

As far as I'm concerned, goddess has proven she's the go to person for the charts, and thus, I deem it so. Smile I do reserve the right to peek in from time to time and learn. (Well, unless Meg has a problem with it) Wink
                              Not at all. Take the charts! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

running buddies

I just spent some time on the General Running forum (things have been slow here at work), and it was scarey. I'm glad to be back with happier, friendlier posts (I'm going to assume the people over there are nice enough, just the posts got tense). Tongue Congrats, Yapper! I'm going to have to go run on a track or a marked path sometime soon and see what kind of pace I'm doing on my long runs. I have one tomorrow, but will probably just stick to the trails for that.
                                "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)