Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: OCT 19-25 (Read 320 times)

johnnfrankfort

Well I am not due to run until tomorrow but i will pitch in and start the thread for everyone else.. week 3 for me this week..
    goals: complete c25k 2 miles in 15 min
      Ok. W6D1. No problem at all. Just that yesterday I tried some core exercises for the abdominals and today I feel demolished as if someone kicked my shrinking beer belly. Tomorrow will be a very happy resting day. Big grin
      2009 goals
      • 600 km.
      • sub 100kg
      • get the first races in the belt

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I ran my first road race since Febuary, it was a great time and I achieved a PR! My training has been slacking since I'm working 50 hours and taking 12 credits at school at night! I need to get my butt out the door on Tuesday nights since it's my early class but I don't get home usually until 7:30pm and it's getting wicked cold her at night (first freeze last night) so I don't get out and then the only other days I can go out is friday night after 12 hours of work, saturday morning if I'm not working or saturday night if I am and then sunday. Tongue it stinks!
        -Jen
        2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
          Congratulations, Jen! Nice job! Big grin I'll be running tonight, it will be W1D3. I won't be able to go again until Thursday (MIA husband, too many child care activities & I already get up at 5:15 for work.. I am NOT getting up any earlier!!) so I'll make that the start of Week 2. It's going really well - my back hasn't bothered me in a couple of days!

Michelle

rdmsgirl

Marie

Starting W2 today - slow as a turtle, but at least no IT band issues.
            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Ivan, I've been there. Last week in my yoga class, we did back bends and boy, my abs were feeling it for a couple of days, but in a good way sore. Core strength is really important with running. You'll figure out what works for crosstraining with running. Wink Jenn, nice work in your race. Fitting in runs is definitely a challenge sometimes and you sure aren't alone in that; I think I'm doing to pick up a fourth run a week and run both Saturday and Sunday if I can make it work time wise. There's just no other way to fit one in during the week. Hickerchick, no back pain is great! Big grin Rdmsgirl, everyone has turtle days. Just remember, it's better to be a moving turtle than a stationary couch potato. You have to start somewhere. You'll get faster; just keep getting out there to run. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Well I'm supposed to be starting Week 4 OHR this week. But, since I was sick last week and only got one run in, AND this weekend I have my first 5K (WooHoo!)...I am going to 'repeat' week 3, and not increase anything until after my 5K. I'll tell you what though, it sure felt good to get back at it over the weekend with a very easy treadmill run. I'm finishing up with the 'crud', so I didn't want to over-do it, but it was nice that I can 'still run'! Cool I was feeling very far away from the 'runner' I was the week before, and 5 days with nothing just about drove me crazy! How wild is that? Three months ago I knew nothing about any of this, and now it is a part of who I am! I think that is the most phenomenal thing about all of this? Good week all!
                Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
                  Today I ran the last run of the last week of Start2Run... Smile

Running in Belgium
                  Ann

I did W8D1 of C25K today. I felt like I was absent through the whole thing. I have been having such physically demanding weekends working on a big house project, and with doing my third runs each Saturday morning, I've been struggling a little through my Monday runs. Today I felt like I shuffled through the whole thing. I didn't use music this time, but instead watched a couple of free eps of a show I found on iTunes, just to pass the time. I think it worked too well, because the run was over before I knew it. Very anti-climactic, considering it was the longest I'd gone so far (28 mins). I think I lost some of the spring in my step, too. It's very blah and chilly outside today (and inside, too). Tongue
                    erendis

orange- it's interesting how much having music or if you're on a treadmill- tv- can help you get through the running program. it certainly kept me from listening to that part of me that was screaming "you're no athlete what the hell do you think you're doing out here?" funny thing happened a week ago though... my ipod died halfway through my run and that last mile and a half were the best ones yet. i wasn't bored or thinking about stopping. i was actually finally able to listen to the rhythm of my body and focus on my breathing and form. at the race last saturday we ran it without ipods and i think we did better because of it. once you're past the motivation hurdle and are eager to get out there each run day, consider trying it without the tunes. you may be surprised at the result!
                      I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

my ipod died halfway through my run and that last mile and a half were the best ones yet. i wasn't bored or thinking about stopping. i was actually finally able to listen to the rhythm of my body and focus on my breathing and form. at the race last saturday we ran it without ipods and i think we did better because of it. once you're past the motivation hurdle and are eager to get out there each run day, consider trying it without the tunes. you may be surprised at the result!
                        Really good point, Erendis! It's a good idea to run on occasion without music, especially if you do have intentions to try races later. Some races are adamant about their no ipod rule. Being able to run without music is important even if you don't do it all the time. I like hearing my own breathing and my own feet on the pavement/gravel.etc.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

johnnfrankfort

wk3 d1 down. ran decent and if i can keep that pace up for two miles i'll be in business. i ran 200 m in 59-1:02 and 400m in 1:51- 2:00..
                          goals: complete c25k 2 miles in 15 min
                            I like hearing my own breathing and my own feet on the pavement/gravel.etc.
                            Interesting point. I haven't tried running without music yet. One of the main reasons I use my ipod is so I won't have to listen to my own breathing!
                              I never tried running with music... I like running in nature, and it feels kind of artificial to have music with me. I like hearing the sounds around me... The dry autumnal leaves in the wind, the ducks diving into the water, birds searching for food in the bushes... And yes, I think I'm more aware of the messages of my body (slow down, girl, you're running way too fast!) when I don't have an Ipod with me...

Running in Belgium
                              Ann

erendis - You're right. I've been thinking lately that I wanted to wean myself off my own music so that I don't get dependent on it to get me through a run. I stopped listening to the podcasts two weeks ago because the music in them just wasn't getting me through the longer times. That is when I started making my own playlists, which I'd time so that I'd get the right songs at the right times to keep me going. I've been on the treadmill this whole program. I'm working on finally getting my behind out there into the real world to see how I do. I'm not planning on having the ipod in my ears outside, and I want to be able to run without needing the music. Smile