Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Check-in: July 6 to 12 (Read 415 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Olivia, exercising on the four off days of the week is good too. Just don't do more than three runs a week during C25K. Your body is getting used to the impact; it takes your tendons and connective tissue and all that stuff time to adjust to the work of running. Swimming is definitely a good one. I'm a rock; in water, I sink. My off days, I like to bike, do yoga or walk. New shoes are definitely a good idea if your current ones make you sore. An injury is more likely in bad shoes (shin splints especially) and you don't want to have to take a ton of time off to heal. Good shoes will last a long time at this stage of your running life. I can't wait for my next run day. I'm still floating over today's run and a new question has popped into my head. I'm wondering if I'm not pushing it quite hard enough on those other days if I can have a day like I had today. Yes, heat will slow me down but still it's a big difference.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

theyapper

On the road again...

Tonight I ran my last run of OHR Week 4 - 35 minutes. It was my first run in 9 days and here's what I learned: 1) 9 days off did my body good. 2) I intentionally ran a slow pace (for me) of around 12 m/m and when I was done, I wasn't breathing heavy, I wasn't tired and I felt like I could have gone the same time again. It's amazing what a shorter stride can do. 3) My shin splints are much better, although they were a bit sore when I was done. I soaked them a good bit and then iced them for 20-25 minutes. And the greatest lesson of all (drumroll, please): THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH TAKING TIME OFF. Big grin Oh, and I passed the 100 mile mark tonight, too.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

The young Mama Bear!

Thanks guys for cheering with me! Big grin CanadianMeg, go you!!! It's always great to have a good run. The feeling lasts for hours afterwards. Smile Olivia, you don't have to do this whole big circuit to have an effective run. I personally like the route I take: just a 1/4 mile stretch down my street. I have to pass an intersection but usually I am crafty and pass it with ease. As for cross-training, I highly recommend it, especially if you're in this program to try and tone up. Biking, walking, swimming, weight training...anything helps your running endurance. I'm glad you liked the Podrunner intervals...they're great for someone who just wants the music and less pep talk. And please get those shoes before you do the longer runs...you feet will thank you, seriously. I got my new shoes before W2, and I honestly think I would have had foot problems had I stuck with my old shoes. I understand you are young, but that's really the only thing you seriously need if you want to run for more than casual reasons. Best advice I've been given with regards to running. Yapper, good for you! I guess it really is true that if you give your body what it needs, it'll give you the same in return. Wink
        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
          Just doing some browsing and happened to find a 5K fun run on my birthday Shocked near where I live! It would be about a month after my projected graduation from the C25K program. I am seriously considering entering. Plus, since it is at the end of September, the temperature should be perfect! It would also be good motivation to keep running. I would hate to enter and not be able to finish! ~Olivia
          Goals: Run.
          CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Go for it, Olivia. I finished C25K last weekend and I'm running a 5K about one month after my completion. I was hitting 2.5 miles in week nine runs. I hit 2.71 miles today. I expect by race day I'll be comfortable with the 3.1 mile distance. A race is also a great way to keep you motivated when you finish the C25K.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Olivia. If your mom's okay with you walking to/from school, perhaps you could start with convincing her to let you run on that that course for exercise instead of just walking it? Another thing you could do would be to try to involve her in planning out your running routes. I think parents feel more secure when they're involved in what you're planning... and you're more likely to get her permission to see more scenery if you and she arrange ahead of time what routes are okay and what aren't. Perhaps she has some safety concerns about specific areas that could be relieved by you showing her how you plan to run in only safe areas... (and get her imput on what's "safe" and not). Let her see how you're being responsible with this by involving her in your decision making and you're likely to end up with a lot more freedom than if you just rebell or stick to running around the block... Good luck!

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

Tonight I ran my last run of OHR Week 4 - 35 minutes. It was my first run in 9 days and here's what I learned: 1) 9 days off did my body good. 2) I intentionally ran a slow pace (for me) of around 12 m/m and when I was done, I wasn't breathing heavy, I wasn't tired and I felt like I could have gone the same time again. It's amazing what a shorter stride can do. 3) My shin splints are much better, although they were a bit sore when I was done. I soaked them a good bit and then iced them for 20-25 minutes. And the greatest lesson of all (drumroll, please): THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH TAKING TIME OFF. Big grin Oh, and I passed the 100 mile mark tonight, too.
                Congrats on passing the 100 mile mark! Sounds like you're really gaining some running wisdom. You've just been inducted into the ranks of the C25K oracles. Big grin

Wingz

Professional Noob

Goddess, I love how you're so supportive and always have so much to say. You too have just been inducted... Big grin

theyapper

On the road again...

Congrats on passing the 100 mile mark! Sounds like you're really gaining some running wisdom. You've just been inducted into the ranks of the C25K oracles. Big grin
                    Woo-Hoo!! Do I get a sundae?? Big grin

Paul

Wingz

Professional Noob

Woo-Hoo!! Do I get a sundae?? Big grin
                      Nope... now you're chained to the group and must give out advice for free... Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin It's all part of the Evil Plan (tm). Big grin

The young Mama Bear!

Goddess, I love how you're so supportive and always have so much to say. You too have just been inducted... Big grin
                        Big grin Cool Big grin Cool I just got done with W4, and that's possibly the best news I could have gotten after a jog. Thank you, Wingz! I guess my big 'ol mouth paid off, finally. LOL. Big grin So, yes - I have completed W4...the last half is still tough, but I've had a few revelations while running: - Motorist are killing my flow! I pass an intersection every once and a while, and I swear a car needs to turn my way everytime I try to pass it. Tongue - There were this two guys walking the other direction, and I was wondering just how fast my current pace was. I ended up making my loop, passing the guys and when I turned back around I couldn't see them. Maybe they turned, but I'm glad to know that my jog pace is faster than a walk. Smile - There is nothing like accomplishing something that you thought you couldn't do before. A week ago, I was fretting to all of you about this week. Now, it's in the books and I noticed that this program is giving me much more confidence in not only my running, but myself! Olivia, I see you have a dog. Here's my 'evil' plan... Tell your mom you're taking the dog out for a walk. Have a route that you know is safe planned beforehand. As a young woman, you need to be constantly aware of your surroundings, and many running publications have 'safeguards' against being attacked while on your route. One of them is jogging with a dog. You not only exercise your body, but your darling doggie will love having the bonding time with you! Sleepy Now, if only I could get my ferret into a harness that he wouldn't wriggle out of so I could take him on my jogs! Schedule that 5K! It's great motivation and I hear they are so much fun. If a 5K pops up in Philadelphia in the coming months, you can bet I'll be there. Cool Keep it up, everyone!
                        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                        theyapper

On the road again...

Nope... now you're chained to the group and must give out advice for free... Evil grin Evil grin Evil grin It's all part of the Evil Plan (tm). Big grin
                          First free advice ... FREE SUNDAES!! j/k

Paul

Wingz

Professional Noob

First free advice ... FREE SUNDAES!! j/k
                            lol! You buying? Big grin

MoonStar

Goddess - between your ferret and my hamster/fish/rabbits/cat and shih tzu we could have quite a parade! Puppy is to young to run and will never be big enough to really run with me - don't THINK I'm that slow at least.
                              zzz