Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: June 22 to 28 (Read 372 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Gellabell, feel free to stick around. We'd love to have you. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Okay, I just ran W8D1. I intentionally tried to go a little slower. I was able to do all the runs in week seven without walking but I was wondering if I was pushing the pace too quickly. The last few minutes were hard whereas today, I could've run longer. Today's run was almost a whole minute slower. I know pace isn't supposed to matter yet, but I don't know that I meant to slow down that much. Anyway, question for those ahead of me, do you run slower runs sometimes? Will this help me to slow down more sometimes?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

More turtle than hare...

...do you run slower runs sometimes? Will this help me to slow down more sometimes?
        If I go any slower, I'd have to go in reverse! ALL my runs are slow runs. Some slower than others, but that's just if I'm having a crappy day... (Not much help, I know. Just my experience. Tongue)
        theyapper

On the road again...

I think pace is a matter of feel. Sometimes moving slower is a good thing, esp if it takes some pressure off the joints. As I progress in the OHR, I'll make my long runs very slow ones, too. At least that's the plan.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Hi Everyone. Missed a day on monday, as I was up at Wimbledon watching the tennis and that was from sunrise to beyond sunset. Back on it today though and just completed W7D1. Great to see some new guys posting too. Keep it up everybody.
              I'm back from my friend's wedding/business trip...unfortunetely, no running on the trip. I was suprised at how fast the time went. I felt terrible without running for 3 days. Running definitely keeps me optimistic about my body, and when I don't run, I feel bad about all my bumps and fluffy spots. I had a great run yesterday: W5D1.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

theyapper

On the road again...

OHR W3D2 This was my last run before my first 5k Saturday. That'll finish up my 3rd week of OHR. The next 2 weeks I'll be a bit out of my element because I'll be running in other states and areas I don't know. Hopefully, OHR weeks 4 and 5 will go well.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, gang! I just got through updating the charts. Let me know if I missed you or if I got you on the wrong week! Tongue Welcome to GellaBella, turtlechick, and goddes9! I've got your names on our "progress" charts on the home page. Big grin Meg, I find that I run different paces different days. Depends on the course, how I'm feeling, what the weather is like, how much I've been running, if there's anyone cute in front of me, etc. You're SUPPOSED to end your runs feeling like you could have run further (but not the whole workout again Wink ). If you're dying by the end of these runs then you're running too fast. Learning how pace yourself is a skill you can only learn through experience. Keep up the good work!

Roads were made for journeys...

Anyway, question for those ahead of me, do you run slower runs sometimes? Will this help me to slow down more sometimes?
                    My tentative plan is this: Finish Couch to 5k Start OHR - and do the timed runs using the Maffetone/LHR guidelines. I've got a tentative target heart rate of about 138, though I may add a few beats to that. I'm planning on using a heart rate monitor and running the OHR timed runs at that target heart rate. From what I've read, this is going to seem really slow, but for me, the benefits are going to be in my favor (I hope!). 1. From my own personal experience, I know that if anything disrupts my schedule and I stop running...it might be a year before I find the motivation to start again. I know that sounds terrible, but I'm not going to deny reality. I want to AVOID injury at all costs and from everything that I've read, running at a lower heart rate forces one to slow down and as a side benefit, avoid injury! 2. I'm going to run a few races, but they are all in fun. No interest in placing or personal records. So, running slower, in this initial phase, isn't a problem. 3. I kind of like the concept of how LHR training works. It makes sense to me. Rather than working harder to get faster (and maybe not doing that in optimal manner), the idea is to, basically, become more efficient. Use oxygen better and get faster because of improved fitness at the same heart rate. I think this is pretty cool! Just my opinion - I've been reading up on it and am looking forward to getting my forerunner/hrm! Smile
                    ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

My tentative plan is this: Finish Couch to 5k Start OHR - and do the timed runs using the Maffetone/LHR guidelines. I've got a tentative target heart rate of about 138, though I may add a few beats to that. I'm planning on using a heart rate monitor and running the OHR timed runs at that target heart rate. From what I've read, this is going to seem really slow, but for me, the benefits are going to be in my favor (I hope!). 1. From my own personal experience, I know that if anything disrupts my schedule and I stop running...it might be a year before I find the motivation to start again. I know that sounds terrible, but I'm not going to deny reality. I want to AVOID injury at all costs and from everything that I've read, running at a lower heart rate forces one to slow down and as a side benefit, avoid injury!
                      I have something to add here. Smile I went through probably a half dozen cycles of running - injury - nothing - running - injury - nothing before successfully becoming a runner about 3 years ago. What made the biggest difference for me this last time was expecting that I was going to get injured and making plans ahead of time how I was going to handle it. I've had a number of injuries since then (sad to say...) but running has become part of who I am rather than just something I do... which means I'll always be back again. Plan ahead. Try to see running as part of who you are rather than something you're doing. When something comes up, make a plan of how you're going to get back to running. The plan may not work, but that just means you'll need to tweak it a bit and try again. Never stop seeing yourself as a runner. If you can continue to see yourself as a runner, you WILL be back. As soon as possible. Smile

When something comes up, make a plan of how you're going to get back to running. The plan may not work, but that just means you'll need to tweak it a bit and try again. Never stop seeing yourself as a runner. If you can continue to see yourself as a runner, you WILL be back. As soon as possible. Smile
                        Thanks, Wingz! This is a great reminder.
                        ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

Hope it works for ya! Big grin

The young Mama Bear!

Thanks, Wingz! Big grin So, in preparation of Week 2, I went outside today and did 'test endurance runs'. Since Week 2 is only an increase of 30 seconds, I did full 90 second (slooooow) jogs up and down my neighborhood. I did four of those, only to realize on my fourth one I had to get back! Tongue I told myself if I just jogged from the spot where I was at to my house, that would be it for the day. I had to talk myself down when my feet hurt or I was out of breath, but I did it! It ended up being 2 minutes, so now I think I'm going to see if I can lengthen that by Week 3! I know I cannot really give advice since I haven't been there yet, but if you finish it by going sloooow, do it. It's better than stopping because you can't keep that pace for however long it is! Good luck everyone, and have great runs! ^^
                            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                            zzz

hey everyone!! y'all are such an encouragement.... second day no smoking and doing sooo much better than yesterday... today i can take deep breaths already and i don't feel sloggy... i know that's not a word but you know what i mean??? my daughter, paige, has a softball game at 8:30 she's one of my running partners now Big grin and one of my girlfriends is another one of my partners and she won't be out of school until 7:30pm.... looks like we'll be doing a 10pm run... yuck and blech... but i guess the weather will be cooler at least. Wingz thanks for adding me to the progress chart... it will be nice to see what I'm doing. goddess sounds like you are doing great!! keep it up meewolfie...always good to have a plan have a great evening everyone!!
                              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yay for not smoking, Katie! You are doing great. Keep scheduling those runs; I find when I commit to a specific time to go running, I'm more likely to get out there. At ten, the temp might be perfect for your run.

Half Fanatic #9292.