Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly thread 1.20 though 1.26 (Read 275 times)

obiebyke

I bit the bullet and made an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow for my shin. I don't have much confidence in them, but I've been wasting a lot of time worrying, so I might as well see what they say. Congrats, Quagga!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

quagga

Thanks obiebyke! I see that I should have started a new thread for this week. I hope to be posting here on Wednesday.... I hope all goes well at the doctor's. Did you see that NYT article about active people seeking out active doctors? Very interesting article. NYT January 3, 2008 But First, Doctor, What Was Your Marathon Time? http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/03/health/nutrition/03Best.html
      obiebyke

Really interesting! Thanks Quagga. I'm going to see if my dumb primary care doc will refer me to a sports doc. I know they won't do it without seeing me first, themselves, which is why I went ahead and made the appointment.

My running partner!

Good luck at the doctor obie! Hopefully you will be back running soon. I know how painful it can be. I fell this winter opening a car door and smashed my shin into the underneath of the car. It hurt for at least 2 months. It didn't hurt when I ran (although my left leg did go numb sometimes after that), but the pain was terrrible if I touched it the wrong way. It did go away on it's own though, hopefully yours will too. Well my husband (I know everyone refers to it as DH - but can you tell me what that stands for) is going in for wrist surgery tomorrow and I am very nervous for him and his recovery. He broke his wrist this summer after falling off our horse and it never healed correctly. Anyway, I am just so worried about the amount of pain he will be in and about the recovery time. His already been off of work since July! The good part of it is that I am taking off work for a few days to take care of him, so I will be able to get in all my runs without worrying about over sleeping! I can't believe how sore I am after yesterday's run. I guess I should have expected it after not running for 2 weeks, but my body was used to it before, so I wasn't sore before the break. Anyway - hope you all have a great week.
          Kat
          obiebyke

Thanks, justdidit. Good luck to your husband. Hopefully even if it's a painful rehab, it'll solve the problem. (DH stands for "dumb husband.")

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(DH stands for "dumb husband.")
              Or sometimes dear or dorky (well, always dorky in my hubby's case Wink). I hope his surgery goes well, justdidit. Good luck finding a doctor, obie. I really love my PCP--not a sports doc, but he is VERY active, so he completely understands and supports my running. At least twice that I've been in to see him he's been on crutches for snowboarding accidents (he's in his mid-40s, so it's especially funny) and DH has seen him out on his bike while he's been out on the road. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

obiebyke

Went to the doc. They think a stress fracture is unlikely because the pain didn't build--it happened pretty suddenly during a run. More likely some tearing around my shin. The Rx is 1.5 weeks more rest (although biking is ok), then an xray if it doesn't feel better then. I WANT TO RUN! Bummer bummer bummer. As I suspected, the doc was pretty clueless (although she consulted her colleague who's more of a sports guy), so if it still hurts and the xray shows nothing, I'm going to get a referral to a sports doc. I hate American healthcare. And I hate this setback. Angry

quagga

Well, at least you have some guidance, obiebyke! I'm glad it doesn't appear to be a stress fracture. Keep your spirits up! You'll be back running in no time. Just take it easy! Smile My insurance (Blue Cross PPO) gives me some 24 or so non-referral physical therapy sessions a year (I think that's the number, it could be much lower), so that might be something to look into. I was surprised that they treated physical therapy sessions basically the same as chiropractic. And I agree, the American health care system leaves much to be desired.
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

Good news for it not likely being a stress fracture! 1.5 weeks seems really long now... but you won't let that stop you, right? Big grin Rest, heal-up, learn, and move forward! Onward!

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The Rx is 1.5 weeks more rest (although biking is ok), then an xray if it doesn't feel better then. I WANT TO RUN! Bummer bummer bummer.
                      Poopie! But running will still be here when you get the all-clear. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

obiebyke

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the good thoughts. Modified to add: Another thing I've forgotten: about five years ago, I badly disclocated my knee on the same side I'm having trouble with now. Duh! Time to get back to using that compression brace that's been in my gym bag. That'll help. Roll eyes

My running partner!

Obie - keep your spirits up - good thing it's not a fracture! It's good that you can bike - have you ever done a spin class? I enjoy spin as a cross training day. Well, my husband's surgery got cancelled yesterday, so that was hard for him since he had gotten himself in the state of mind to get it done with. Hopefully he will reschedule soon. Haven't run since Monday - I am going to try to run in the morning tomorrow. I have decided to try to get up much earlier so that I am not running around like a crazy person in the morning Shocked - we'll see if that works.
                          Kat
                          quagga

I completed Week 9 Day 2 today! I should have done it on Wednesday, but I just plain old frittered the evening away. Completely frittered it away. Anyway, I got up at...get this...5am today and wound up on the treadmill by 6am (apparently I can fritter in the morning just as easily as I can in the evening). Because I was pressed for time, I did the minimum 30 minute run at 5mph--2.5miles. Yay me!
                              W6D1 down. My shins don't hurt anymore -- I switched back to stability shoes (I had been trying a new pair of neutral shoes) and I'm taping my shins with sports tape.