Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly thread 4/06 - 4/12 (Read 272 times)

A little sore around the shins after Week 4 Day 1. But all went well. Looking forward to Week 5 Big grin
    danea

Week 4 Day 1 done! Those 5-minute runs were tough today, since I'm still getting over being sick, but I couldn't have done those even two weeks ago, so I'm feeling accomplished.
      colinw

Week 5 complete. I managed the 20 minute run without too much trouble. Starting week 6 today after work.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

gwhutch

Completed w5d1 this morning. The best run day so far. Already looking forward to the next run. My first 5k is May 3 and I think I'll be ready.
          MoonStar

Ok, started back on W3D1 after taking 2 weeks of with sore foot. Wingz convinced me to get moving again. Big grin Foot doing ok - thanks for the reminder on NSAIDS. I somehow entered 56 minutes as the time for the 1.6 miles instead of 26 mins - anyway to go back and change it? Confused I'm using the podcast to help me remind when to speed up/slow down again. Really helps alot.
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Movin right along, guys! I got y'all updated on the graph. GotTheBug - how're those shins doing? Keep an eye on them and let us know if they get worse, eh? Danea - glad to hear you're feeling better. I always find it harder to run after I'm being sick too. But I also find myself being grateful at those times that I *can* run. You have every right to feel accomplished for what you've achieved so far. Keep up the good work! Cool colinw - saw your question on the main board about adding in an extra day. I think Run2Win's advice is pretty solid and that figbash has a good point that "listening to your body" is a learned skill. It's great that things are going well for you. We just want them to continue to go well. Smile gwhutch - be careful! Running is addictive! As is racing! Big grin -Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ok, started back on W3D1 after taking 2 weeks of with sore foot. Wingz convinced me to get moving again. Big grin Foot doing ok - thanks for the reminder on NSAIDS. I somehow entered 56 minutes as the time for the 1.6 miles instead of 26 mins - anyway to go back and change it? Confused I'm using the podcast to help me remind when to speed up/slow down again. Really helps alot.
                Hi, MoonStar! Got your bar up on the chart. Glad to hear your foot is doing okay. Big grin To change an entry, you need to pull it up first. I usually do that through the calendar view - Training Log --> Calendar. Then, just click on the entry you want to change. It pulls up a detailed view. Select "Edit", change what you want, and then click "Save." (Be careful not to click "delete" instead of "edit" because there's no confirmation pop-up there!) There are other ways to pull up an entry, but I find that the most convenient.

Movin right along, guys! I got y'all updated on the graph. GotTheBug - how're those shins doing? Keep an eye on them and let us know if they get worse, eh? -Janell
                  There OK I guess. Just a little sore. Only time I can feel it is when I do toe taps with my heels on the floor or when I start running. More of an annoyance than anything. Hopefully now that I am on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule the 2 rest days will help get rid of it. Also, How does everyone log C25K? I have just been puting in the time of Ullreys podcasts. I am wondering if anyone is putting the Intervals feature to good use..
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

There OK I guess. Just a little sore. Only time I can feel it is when I do toe taps with my heels on the floor or when I start running. More of an annoyance than anything. Hopefully now that I am on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule the 2 rest days will help get rid of it.
                    Having a consistant schedule with rest in it is a good thing. Smile It's not unusual to have SOME soreness when you're starting running or increasing mileage, but there are some things to watch out for. Here are some red flags: * if the pain keeps getting worse instead of better, * if it makes you change your gait, * if it keeps hurting even when you're not running or using it, and, with shins, * if it hurts in a specific spot when you tap the bone. So long as it remains an "annoyance" and isn't getting worse you should be okay. Just keep an eye on it, eh?

Having a consistant schedule with rest in it is a good thing. Smile It's not unusual to have SOME soreness when you're starting running or increasing mileage, but there are some things to watch out for. Here are some red flags: * if the pain keeps getting worse instead of better, * if it makes you change your gait, * if it keeps hurting even when you're not running or using it, and, with shins, * if it hurts in a specific spot when you tap the bone. So long as it remains an "annoyance" and isn't getting worse you should be okay. Just keep an eye on it, eh?
                      I started to tap my shins all over and am happy to say not one area hurts when I touch it. Only time I feel the slight soreness is when I raise my toes or when I'm running. It also hasn't been getting worse from week to week. Just been at the same level ever since Week 1. Thanks for the pointers. Appreciated.
                      jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

W6D3 done! For those of you starting out, it does get easier. This is my second time around - coming back from injury. I can remember those days of having trouble running for 60 seconds. I remember dreading the 3 minute runs, and then the 5 minute runs, and then the 20 minute run, etc. Just know that this is a mind game as much as anything - you have to believe you can do it and trust the program. It really does work.
                          I'd like to know the science behind the program. Smile

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Hi everyone, just wanted to update that I got no update! Tongue We hired a guy to refinish the floors in our house and now we are crunched for time! We have until monday to completely finish all the walls and rip up the rug. Do you know how many staples I've had to pull up? I still have one more room to do tonight and then I think they are primeing the walls tonight and we should be painting by Thursday... what this all means is I've had zero time to run, seriously I'm getting home at 10-12am nightly and up at 5am to go to work! But I figure with all the hard labor I'm doing I won't loose much (not like I have much to loose) so I may not be on much this week but I'll be back next week strong as ever! Cool
                            -Jen
                            2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

jb944 - glad to hear things are still going well for you! Jennicap - don't stress about it. I know how hard it is pulling up staples & carpeet. Oy! Also remember, there's nothing wrong with repeating a week if it seems difficult or you don't feel ready to move on. We all progress at our own rate. Wink

Week 4 Day 2 done. Felt pretty good. Big grin