Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 4/17-4/23 (Read 357 times)

Ran W3D2 on the trail with the dog this morning.  I haven't had as much time as I would like for running, but I've taken more time to work on my core with fitness kickboxing and trying out P90X.  I've been doing the kickboxing for about a year now so I'm not to worried about that.  I'll be watching my body to see if adding P90X is just too much all at once.

ChupChup- sounds great to be out on a trail.  I'm did  wk5d2 on the treadmill today- I gotta start working on getting outside as I have a 5K to run in 2 weeks.  So far, outside has been MUCH tougher.

What is P90X?

Keep building the base.

2012 goals: Under 30 minutes 5K, over 20 miles/week

Chup, sounds like you are progressing nicely.  With all that exercise, you'll be in the best shape of you life in no time!

I've been dragging butt...need to get out and run!  I've been so busy between work and home, I fall into bed at night.  The alarm goes off in the morning for me to go run, and I just CAN'T!  I'll improve tomorrow morning, I promise!

Michele in NC

Jennxpt - P90X is a home exercise program that uses a variety of cross training activities over a 90 day period.  The fitness kickboxing class I'm taking is a somewhat similar concept alternating strength training using elastic bands with cardio work disguised as kickboxing against a defenseless bag.  I didn't choose P90X my wife just volunteered me to be her workout buddy.  It's definitely a tough workout or at least as tough as you want it to be.  Google it or look on YouTube for more.  Nutrition and hydration are key aspects to both programs.  At any rate, I hope you can get running outside and nail the 5K time that you're after.

bianchilvr - Getting out the door is the hardest part for me too.  You can do it!  One thing that helps me is to tell myself that there are no excuses.  Exercise is a planned part of my day and just as important as getting the kids to school or me to work.  Getting to bed at night is also planned and don't even consider turning on the TV after you've brushed your teeth for the night.  When I'm busy, that means I need to be even more religious about my planning otherwise I am planning to not exercise.  At least that's been my experience.  I don't know what you can cut out of your life, but I hope it's not running.  Good luck to you and climb into bed earlier. 

All this work appears to be paying dividends.  I've lost about 10 pounds in 3 weeks and I was a beast on the volleyball court last night.  I'm hoping that I can stay consistent, lose weight, and strengthen my core significantly so that my running will improve.  I started out this spring at 261 and getting down to 225 would help a lot.  I have more ambitious weight loss goals, but that would be a good start.

Ran W3D3 on the trail with the dog this evening.  Feeling pretty strong.  Unfortunately my wife's knee will be out of commission for a few weeks at least.  Shes' really bummed out.  The workouts will be patiently waiting for her when she's able bodied again.  I wish I could do more to help her.

Chup,  Hey, Thanks, for the encouragement...but...I'm supposed to be encouraging YOU!  You've come far these last few weeks.  Keep up the good work.  I admire your self-discipline to get out there and run.  I'm sure it helps to have a canine friend to put the pressure on you to get out the door!

Tomorrow morning I plan to get back into the game...I'm sure I'll be sore after that run, lol!

Michele in NC

OK, got out there this morning despite the rain (yay me!).  A little too fast, but I expected that after a 2 1/2 week layoff. 

Jenn, treadmill running is tough mentally, I don't know how you do it!  I'm not sure why outdoor running would be more challenging...hills maybe?  Pacing tougher?  I've only had to run on the treadmill when traveling, and I hate it.  Yucky, not for me!

Obie, did you complete OHR?  If so, what's next?  I've been making my own schedule based on some training books I've read.  I don't plan any races until the fall, which will help me get some weight off I hope, and maybe I'll be speedier.  I'm tired of these 12-14 min miles!  I was SO MUCH FASTER 10 years ago!

Chup, congrats on the weight loss.  I have been running since November and haven't lost weight...must be all that going-out-to eat that I've been doing with my husband since my kids moved out (1 in college, 1 just left for boot camp).  Also, congrats on finishing week 3!

Michele in NC

Loves the outdoors

I finished the C25K in April 2009 and it completely hooked me into running. I now run every day! I lost 70lbs along the way too Smile

Chupchup - I often run trails with my dog. His big brown eyes often get me out the door on the cold, windy and wet days. I almost always end up  loving the rainy runs in the end anyway. There is something fun about splashing in puddles, even when you are 40! Congratulations on the weight loss, you are doing great!

Michele - I agree with chupchup on the no excuses front. I tried to make getting out for my run a priority and I didn't let any weather stop me from heading out the door. After a while it becomes a habit and gets easier and easier. You can do it! It sounds like you are a returning runner. I'm sure you'll get back there!

Jen - I admire you being able to do your runs on the TM. I almost want to gouge my eyes out when I get to 30mins on one and find it MUCH harder than running outside. I actually run much slower on the TM than outdoors as strange as that sounds. You'll slowly get used to the outdoors, it's possible you are trying to run too fast outside. 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Wow: you guys are a great group. I've been lurking here and tracking runs, but haven't felt enough like a real runner to post much.

I find the treadmill much easier mentally- I focus and talk positive to myself when I just wanna stop.  I listen to C25K from Podrunner and all that techno just gets me in a groove.  I can focus on my breathing and self-talk.  When I run outside, I just lose it. I go too fast, lose focus and I hear "I can't do this"in my head. weird.  Last time I was outside, I actually got teary and walked home.  Very much a mental block.

Got a Forerunner 305 for my birthday Big grin so I'm going to try using that outside tomorrow morning.  It will be the first run of wk6, and I will go SLOW!!

So when you do other workouts,like strengthening, how do you fit that in with running?  On opposite days, or after running?

Keep building the base.

jenn, good luck with week 6!  You're over the hardest part!

The Garmin should help you with pace...I have one myself!  I find it's loads of fun, but I'm a data geek!

I, personally, run in the morning. I wish I did some core strengthening/cross-training, but I'm too lazy.  What do you do? 

Michele in NC

Loves the outdoors

I'm too lazy with cross-training too Smile Every now and again I go for a bike ride, but nothing regular or organised.

I run whenever I can, which is mostly dependent on childcare as I have 3 kids (ages 3,4,7). I am bit of a zombie in the early morning, so anytime other than then is my preference. 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

When I run outside, I just lose it. I go too fast, lose focus and I hear "I can't do this"in my head. weird.

It's awesome that's you're running.  It doesn't have to be pretty.  It doesn't have to be fast.  It doesn't have to be outside.  You just have to keep removing a little more material from the bottom of your shoes.   I've done C25K several times now.  The first time I did it I used the time method.  I eventually got hurt trying to go too fast.  The other times I used the distance method.  Using that method seems to allow me to slow down because I am focused on completing the distance.  And remember a cardinal rule:  To run faster, run longer; to run longer, run slower.  Good luck!

jenn, good luck with week 6!  You're over the hardest part!

The Garmin should help you with pace...I have one myself!  I find it's loads of fun, but I'm a data geek!

I, personally, run in the morning. I wish I did some core strengthening/cross-training, but I'm too lazy.  What do you do? 

bianchi-  I've loved lifting weights for years, just general leg, trunk, arms.  It's interesting to see how differently the leg muscles are used when running- I'm not really sore, but certainly feel that I've worked!  Haven't done much weights since starting running: the time limits things.  I have 2 kids, ages 5 and 2, and I get to the YMCA before work, or take them on my day off- bit of a juggling act!  Does picking up 384 toys off the floor (%^&$ legos) count as cross-training?

Love the Garmin so far! Graphs, charts, and calendars- oh, so motivating!

nz: impressive weight loss!  Something I also strive for, so you give me hope.

Chup: thanks for the encouragement.  Had my first good run outside today- I just didn't get down about the run/walk pattern.  Very happy to have the group to interact with while doing all this.

-Jenn

Keep building the base.