Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Why Did You Start C25K? (Read 352 times)

Great question Meg! In short: it was one of the few things that I had wanted to do, but had failed at repeatedly. Beginning running programs that started with "run 10 minutes at an easy pace" were completely unrealistic for me. Plus, I look at where I'd like to be 10 years from now, and the non-running path doesn't get me there. I educate others on the evils of lifestyle-induced diseases....it is definitely a case of taking a dose of my own medicine. Oh, and I was bored with my professional and some of my personal life, so it was time to mix things up a little bit. The antidote here was a 5k....to be followed by many more, hopefully. Plus, I too, want to shop in a "regular" store. And I'm getting there...
      Any of our newer runners want to chime in on this one? Wink

"Don't feel like running today...suck it up and run ...you're an athlete." (John Stanton, founder & owner of The Running Room)

Three half marathons later, I got a number. Half Fanatic #9292. :)

I started after watching Nova on PBS. It was a show about training ordinary people like us to run the Boston Marathon in 9 months. For some reason it really motivated me. I don't have any plans to run a marathon, but I like thinking of myself as having endurance and being stubborn enough to not give up. And after a month off for a knee injury, another week off for a back injury, and then a week off for being on call at work, I finally made it! I ran 3.1 miles tonight!

Jazz hands!

When I graduated from college and couldn't afford the classes, I needed something for exercise.
          Same here, basically. I took capoeira and kickboxing in college, but they're $$$ in the real world. I'd never been remotely in shape before college, discovered I liked it, and running was the cheapest and easiest way of staying active. Plus, it's fun to tell people who knew me in high school how many miles I ran that day. MTA: Running also requires zero hand eye coordination, which works out beautifully, because that's how much I have.
          run run run AHHHHHH run run run
            And after a month off for a knee injury, another week off for a back injury, and then a week off for being on call at work, I finally made it! I ran 3.1 miles tonight!
            WohooO! That's awesome! You won't forget hitting it the first time. Cool

"Don't feel like running today...suck it up and run ...you're an athlete." (John Stanton, founder & owner of The Running Room)

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I was a running all through middle and high school and into college. I stopped b/c life got in the way. I had been peaking at the couch to 5K program for years I bet and finally when I quit smoking and gained nearly 35lbs I knew I had to do something.
              -Jen
              2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
              MichelleD

Because I have been overweight all my life...since I was a young child. In school, I did well academically, so no one cared what I did physically. My senior year of high school, I started running a bit (maybe a mile or so a day eventually), but then I moved to Pennsylvania in the winter and couldn't breathe the cold air to keep running. Now, it's 10 years after high school. I weigh less now than I did when I graduated (after gaining quite a bit and losing it), but it's still far, far too much!!!! I love the way running makes me feel, and when I started C25K a few months ago, I was at a very high stress level and couldn't have handled it without running. C25K makes becoming a runner so do-able (especially with the podcasts...I only have to do what the voice in my head tells me to do Smile).
                  I started running (two years ago) a couple of weeks after I joined Sparkpeople, which I joined to loose a few kilograms... My goal when joining sparkpeople was not to start moving, to come in a better shape, just to go down from 55 to 51 kg. But those few weeks of 'sparkling' made me curious how it would be to run... and so I decided to get me a decent pair of running shoes, and to start running... And I ran... I ran very consistently, with only a little hick-up after a knee-injury (due to falling while skiing). And last summer, when we where hiking in the Swiss mountains, I felt great. I always had the courage and the endurance to do long hikes while in the mountains, but this time, I also had the shape to even enjoy those hikes more. But after returning to Belgium... I went of the trail ( Wink)... I restarted a few months later, but only for a few months. But at that time I really didn't feel very.... Tssssssjj.... Don't know how to say in English... I needed some goal, something to motivate me, but that lacked... So I didn't run for more than half a year, and I saw my weight creeping higher and higher... slowly... but when I reached 55 kg again, I new something should happen. I started snacking a little less, refusing my rewarding glass of wine after a long working day... and slowly, the mind to run returned... And here I am... after having ran during that one year, I think I already did more sports in the second half of my life than in the first, but now I wil do even better. I hope to run a 5K somewhere in october, running an hour by New Year, and maybe, next year in september the half marathon in Eindhoven, the Dutch town where I work??? (The Brussels 20K in may is probably too soon)

Running in Belgium
                  Ann

I started C25K so that I will take it slow enough this time to not burn out quickly and then be inactive for several months again. I'm always starting an exercise kick for a week, a month, or two or three, then not sticking with it. The result over the years is that I'm mostly sedentary and I'm in terrible cardio-vascular shape (which at 30 years old I have got to change for good, if I want to be healthy later in life)! I'm only in week 3 of C25K, but I can already tell that building gradually is going to be way better for sticking with it this time - mentally and physically. Smile A friend invited me to do the Nike Women's Marathon in October of 2009, so I have to be able to stick with it this time if I want to go the whole 26.2 miles (did a couple of half marathons 5 years ago, but never a whole marathon)...
                    Goals: 1. Finish One Hour Runner Program 2. Train for and run a 10K in late winter 3. Run a half in late spring 4. Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco, Oct 2009
                      You know, it's nice to go back and just read through this sometimes. Such positives! Any of our new runners care to add theirs?

I'm starting the C25K on Monday, 9/1. I'm pretty sure that I had heard about it before (the logo of the little couch potato guy with the remote was very familiar), but I never thought I'd be able to stick with it for all those weeks without losing interest. Things have since changed. Last week someone mentioned it to me after I told her that I'd like to do more on my treadmill than just walking, but that running wasn't working out each time I'd tried it. I just started out too big before, and the C25K program offers the progression I need to believe that I, too, can do this. The doubts about being able to stick with it went away once I started reading about running and seeing how many people got involved and love it. I feel like I'll be one of those people who can say they got hooked on running, and it's something I can call my own.