Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: Oct 5 - Oct 11 (Read 362 times)

iang999

Hi all, looks like I'm honoured to start the weekly thread again. I hope all have had a successful week and look forward to hearing your news and updates. My past week and plans for this upcoming week: I redid W3 as it was plain hard work the first time round, I did not know what hurt the most, legs or lungs! The past week has been slow but steady progress in that the 3 minute runs have not been a joy but at least not torture. I did the final workout today and tacked on another 3 minute jog without too much of a problem so I will attempt W4 this coming week. Another thing is after the run I am feeling tingly is the only description I can think of, not unpleasant of course just generally more feeling all over (if that makes sense?). My knees hurt like mad earlier on in W3 but now are not a problem so there is some training effect going on I hope. Here's looking forward to the next week and all your news.
    Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
    Keep running regularly 3 times a week
    Weight loss
    Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
    Get weekly mileage up to 20
      We finished up W6 of OHR with the 41 minute long run today. We ended up just a few steps shy of 4 miles, and can't believe we went that far! We won't progress in OHR this coming week, because we have our second-ever 5K on Saturday. Smile Good luck with your runs this week, everybody!
      2008 Goals:
      1. Finish C25K
      2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
      3. Complete One Hour Runner
        I started week 4 today. I run the new weeks on Sunday to have a two days recovery and then decide if I have to step back or continue. That only happened with the second one. I feel great. I agree that the first time those three minutes where quite steep, but this time the rise to five minutes was even bearable and Ullrey´s podcast had a nice touch with the slow tempo for the first serie. Now I´m not scare of week five, I trust the system... Wink Iang999 all those symptoms; maybe you are taking things too fast, slow down a bit (the speed, not the weeks). It worked for me and my 268 pounds. I hope it makes sense. Big grin
        2009 goals
        • 600 km.
        • sub 100kg
        • get the first races in the belt
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Iang999 all those symptoms; maybe you are taking things too fast, slow down a bit (the speed, not the weeks). It worked for me and my 268 pounds. I hope it makes sense. Big grin
          I agree with this. I know it's hard to slow down, esp if you've read those posts on the big board where experienced runners post about being really slow on a particular run and their pace is more than a full minute or more than my fastest. It's hard not to think about getting faster. I still struggle with that. The key is to run at a conversational pace; if you could talk to someone (short sentences) during your run without a lot of trouble, that's an easy pace and that's what you need when you are basebuilding.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I agree with this. I know it's hard to slow down, esp if you've read those posts on the big board where experienced runners post about being really slow on a particular run and their pace is more than a full minute or more than my fastest. It's hard not to think about getting faster. I still struggle with that. The key is to run at a conversational pace; if you could talk to someone (short sentences) during your run without a lot of trouble, that's an easy pace and that's what you need when you are basebuilding.
            Exactly. And it´s veeeery easy to forget that the speed doesn´t matter to burn calories, just the time you are running. My plan is to finish the C25K and then, once the runs feel good, improve the speed until reaching the 5k in half an hour. Sooner is not a good idea because we are begginers with "handle with care" written all along our bodies.
            2009 goals
            • 600 km.
            • sub 100kg
            • get the first races in the belt
            erendis

I agree about the fastness thing. It's soooo difficult to not be discouraged by the pacing, but making yourself run faster than that easy pace just means you'll have a terrible time later, or associate running with pain and suffering instead of that great feeling. Lately, I've really not paid attention to time at all- we map out a route of a length we want to do and then do it. I estimate the time to enter it into the log, but I'm really paying more attention to how far I can go, not how fast I can get there. I have faith in my fellows here and the expert books I'm reading that say speed will come with time. I have to get fit first- get used to the "feel" of 2mi or 3mi etc. As long as I'm getting out there 3x a week, I've decided to call that success. I'm infinity times faster than the girl who was sitting on the couch.
              I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso

Baby bean!

I swear I suck at this! Tongue I had such a difficult time tonight. I attribute it to one of these things: had to pee badly, overdressed, and didn't eat a lot today. But I got out there. Again, I'm STILL on week 6. Confused MTA: I think that I am going to do week 6 over rather than try to do w6d3 over and over.

Goals:
                Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sushi, you'll get there. Try not to focus on how long it's taking to finish the weeks; you don't want to lose your enjoyment of the run in the details. I haven't been posting much about my runs but I wanted to share about my run today. I went for a run and really tried to keep it slower than I've been going lately. I had no plans for how far I wanted to go but I wanted to go slower and just go for roughly 30-40 minutes. When I mapped my run, I found it was 4.27 miles (one of my longest runs) and about 35 seconds slower than what I've been averaging lately, but it was such a great run. (And it was a run in not quite rain, but just mist!) It was such a great run. I think if I stay at this slower pace, I can increase my distance. It felt like an easier run than my last few even thought it was further and longer. Slowing down works!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

johnnfrankfort

well i started wk 1 last week with one run so i will do this week as week 1 again. the reason.. i didn't find this site until late in the week last week. i really like the site and the support from everyone. Wink i dod have a question though. when starting should i only run the program 3 days a week. and if so should i supplement the other days with cycling? would that hurt or help? thanks
                    goals: complete c25k 2 miles in 15 min
                    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Great to have you with us. During C25K, stick with running three days to give your body time to adjust to the impact; your bones and especiallly your soft tissues between joints need time to get used to it. Crosstraining on off days is fine. Just listen to your body so you don't do too much and if you need to repeat days or weeks before moving on, that's okay too. Since you've done week one before finding us, you can move to week two if you are ready; we aren't too formal about runners joining at different times. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Hey all ~ Welcome to the new folks and congrats to all those graduates! I finished Week 1 of OHR yesterday. Everything feels great, 'comfortable'. I ran 33 minutes yesterday instead of 30, really by accident - it was one of those days I felt like I could just go all day! I was outside at 6am, and it was nice to run in the cool (41) air and have no breathing issues whatsoever. I'm on 30 minute runs for two more weeks so my updates are pretty un-exciting. On Thursday runs though, I spice it up with intervals in the 2nd 15 minutes - to practice running at a higher pace (which for me 'fast' is 5 mph right now), and also to do some good fat burning and shake up the metabolism a little! It's hard to be patient, because now that running feels comfortable, I just want to go go go...but I know I am still building a base and don't want to push too hard. But, 15 minutes of intervals once a week isn't going to hurt! Hope everyone has a good week of runs!
                        Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com

The young Mama Bear!

I swear I suck at this! Tongue I had such a difficult time tonight. I attribute it to one of these things: had to pee badly, overdressed, and didn't eat a lot today. But I got out there. Again, I'm STILL on week 6. Confused MTA: I think that I am going to do week 6 over rather than try to do w6d3 over and over.
                          I think you're thinking too much about it. You're psyching yourself out. Watch - one day, it'll come and go like (hard) water. Just let it flow! To all the new runners, hello and good luck. For everyone I "know" already, keep going. I'm right there with ya. Smile
                          Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                          Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

Nah. Someone who sucked at this wouldn't be getting out there. Again. No matter what week you're on, you're making progress. It's a learning thing - you've got 3 things pinned down that you know cause bad runs for you. Cool! It took me about two years to realize that there might actually be a link between things like weather, proper clothes, and eating and what kind of run I might have any particular day... Blush Have a good run! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

sushigirl - don't be discouraged!! I have said it many times before... I repeated every single week. There was even one week... might have been week 6 I worked on for like a month solid... Sad suck. I was really pissed but when I finally felt comfortable to move on it felt so great to have that "week" behind me. ivanhurba - yay for trusting the system!! Smile It's surprising how that 1st 5 min run isn't the worst thing ever like you might think it's going to be. It was the first run that I surprised myself, and thought I had a chance and thought this program might actually work for me. Smile Welcome newcomers!! It sounds well I ran a 5k.... in my basement Smile I have been running the 30 minutes for a few weeks, and I'm running an actual 5k race on the 25th, so I wanted to get over the mental hump. I needed to know if I could actually do it. So I took it really slow covered up the time on the treadmill and only paid attention to the distance and it felt great! So I'm pretty excited to run the race now. I did better timing wise then I thought I would, and I know race time I could push it a little. Smile yay.... for everyone just starting and thinking they suck (sushigirl Wink ).. NOT TRUE!!! if I can do it anyone can! I just can't believe I ran 3 miles... and it felt good.
                              erendis

after a week of being sick, we got up this morning (another 5am-er) and busted out 2.75mi! It felt great to be out there again, and despite it being 39 deg, I was pretty comfy. A huge plus to running in the cold came from roadrunner.com- I got one of those headbands that has earflaps. Hats are always too hot and sweaty and half the time my ears still get cold, so this is just perfect. I have no fear of cold mornings now, at least until it starts to be that windy cold that goes through to your bones, but let's not think about that!
                                I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso