Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

update (Read 284 times)

psycrunner

Well, I took Janell & Kirsten's advice and when I started running again (after my week-long break from the half), I just ditched the C25K program and ran to see how far I could run. I ran slowly and I wasn't able to run consistently for 30 minutes, but I did about 5 miles on Sunday and again today and I ran far more of the time than I walked, including a segment in each run of running for about 1.5 miles. So, I guess I won't be needing the C25K program. I've got just a few weeks before I have some surgery on my foot, so I'm just going to work on building consistent miles and worry about speed later. I think I read somewhere on RA that the more base miles you have, the easier it is to develop speed, so I guess I'll put that hypothesis to the test. I will say that my handy new Garmin told me my average pace for Sunday's run was 15:11 and today's average pace was 14:58, so already I'm picking up the pace! I just wanted to thank y'all for the advice and support. I guess I'll remove myself from this group and just post on the Jiggly Joggers....and join the On the Bench folks once I have surgery. Wishing lots of fun runs to everyone just getting started!
    Carol
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Carol! You don't have to run off! I'm thinking there are a number of people in this group who aren't doing C25K right now. What are you having done on your foot? Perhaps the rehab/phsio people could help you figure out the best and safest way to get back into running afterwards! And there's nothing to say you can't take the ideas that the C25K plan has (like gradual increase of time spent running, running for time instead of distance, not worrying about speed, etc) and adapt them to your particular situation. Since you're only working with a few weeks before your surgery, I really wouldn't worry so much about speed at this point. I'd suggest you work on fitness instead, be it time on running or perhaps even starting to include some other exercise form (like swimming?) that would be available to you after the surgery. Good luck and speedy recovery! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

psycrunner

Hey Janell-- Thanks for your support. I ran another 5 miles today, but am still struggling to run much more than a mile or so at a stretch. Maybe I should do a modified C25K plan and just repeat it to the 5 mile point. At least then I could see a couple of weeks worth of progress until my foot surgery. I have a "hallux limitus" in the big toe joint on my right foot, which basically means I can't really bend my big toe. It's been like this for about 5 years, getting worse and more painful, and of course, makes it more difficult to push off with my right foot (I tend to roll to the outside of my foot). So, the orthopedic surgeon is going to take the spurs off the joint and clean out the joint space so that (eventually) I'll be able to bend the toe like a normal person without pain. I think, after the 5-6 weeks of rehab, I'll probably run easier, so I'm looking forward to that! I definitely will ask the rehab folks about other alternatives for working out while the toe is keeping me from running. I have a recumbant cycle and a home gym here at the house and a lap pool I can access for swimming, so I certainly have plenty of options. Thanks, again, for your support! Smile Carol
        Carol
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a "hallux limitus" in the big toe joint on my right foot, which basically means I can't really bend my big toe. It's been like this for about 5 years, getting worse and more painful, and of course, makes it more difficult to push off with my right foot (I tend to roll to the outside of my foot). So, the orthopedic surgeon is going to take the spurs off the joint and clean out the joint space so that (eventually) I'll be able to bend the toe like a normal person without pain. I think, after the 5-6 weeks of rehab, I'll probably run easier, so I'm looking forward to that!
          Oh, I can definitely see how that would make running difficult and PAINFUL! I hope the surgery solves that issue and allows you to run pain-free (or at least *mostly* pain-free)! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay