Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

week of 5/24 - 5/30 (Read 441 times)

Interesting about the mini-interval warmup.  For me, the first ten minutes are fine.  But those next ten minutes?  Man...I'm convinced I'm falling apart.  My feet hurt, my knees hurt, I can't possibly go any further without walking...the whines in my head continue on.  And then around minute 20 or so I'm fine until the end.  That middle just kills me every time!

Week 8 done now!  Mostly slow and steady, but thanks to a too-close encounter with a skunk, I also discovered some speeds I didn't think I was capable of!!  Thankfully we went our separate ways, and I was no worse (or smellier) for the wear

My week 9 day one on Saturday will be the first half an 8k trail run.  Should be fun!  (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  It WILL be fun! )

Ran W7D3 of C25K on the trail with Copper this morning.  I slowed way down on the first half of the run and picked up on the pace on the last mile.  My average pace went up by a minute per mile, but I felt I could have gone on further which is what I was hoping for.  I'm thinking that I'll move on to W8 next week. 

One thing I'm finding is that C25K seems to be easier on a distance basis then when I've done it time based.  Easier is not what I really mean but maybe mentally easier?  I also feel like I have had many fewer problems with aches and pains.  Anybody else experience something similar? 

I hope everyone has a beautiful weekend.  Smile

RookieRider

Everyone is doing great. How awesome.

I ran w7d2 Wednesday. I'm starting to think Wednesday is a bad day for me. I had an awful time. It was WAY too hot for me. I ran 10 mins then tried several more times but decided against forcing it if I'm not enjoying it. I'm trying day 2 again on the track at work today.

I have my eye on a 5k run on June 20th.

2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week

You Are Beautiful.

Ran week 8 day 1 yesterday. It was blisteringly hot! Sure makes for an uncomfortable run, in my opinion. I couldn't wait to get home. I did 2.75ish miles and I did it in 34ish minutes. I told you it was hot! I had this skinny, tan, shirtless (but sports-bra wearing) girl pass me a few times on the trail. . .she was my inspiration! She must've ran 5-7 miles. . .

And I have a secret goal to confess. After the 5k I started thinking about running and I think I want to do a HM. I signed up for the HM group on RA and I can't start training yet (as the weeks look like d1: 2mi, d2: 2mi, d3: 4 mi plus x-train/strength train). I figure it'll go logically (5mi, then a 10k, then the HM maybe?) but I can realistically see myself doing a HM at some point. Maybe October in Portland...

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
          Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Wingz

Professional Noob

October, eh?  It'd be a bit of a reach, but yes definitely possible to do a HM by then, nauseous.  Biggest suggestion for you then is to take something like Higdon's novice plan, work up to week 1, and intentionally work in extra weeks into the plan.  You're going to have setbacks or difficult weeks with it, just like C25K, but it'll get you there (mostly) in one piece as long as you don't push the pace too much.  Start your research now - October is quickly creeping up!

Run easy.  Don't run hard.  And with how much of a jump in distance this'll be over 4 months, I'd say probably best not to run hard AT ALL.  Including the race.  You'll find the distance challenge enough!  But a worthy challenge!

Roads were made for journeys...

You Are Beautiful.

Thanks, Wingz!

I changed it up this morning. I went out at 430am and ran for 40 minutes with my partner. We ran at conversation pace the whole time (12:30-13:00 mile pace) for 3 miles. I think slowing down is a good idea Smile

I don't know if I'll be ready for the HM but they also have the Kaiser Permanente 5 Miler. . . so I want to go either way. As an aside, hopefully we'll be living there by then. The goal is move in September but that involves securing jobs and basically teaching ourselves what we need to know (taxes, driver's licenses...)

The conversation pace was a new thing for me. For me, an 11:00 mile takes all my energy (I wish that wasn't the case but it is true.) so it was different to be done with 3 miles but still feel like I could go more. And it was esp weird to be done with 3 miles at 5:15 AM! Totally worth it though!

My Storygraph

Wingz

Professional Noob

Slower pace = you can run longer = you get more training = you actually get faster.

Weird, but true.

Don't overdo it!  Try to plan out your training intelligently, increasing total weekly mileage by no more than 10% per week.

And good luck!

You Are Beautiful.

I had always thought that was a 10% suggestion not a 10% LIMIT. Those are different! g2know

My Storygraph

Wingz

Professional Noob

I had always thought that was a 10% suggestion not a 10% LIMIT. Those are different! g2know

Heh.  It's called a "rule."  People break it on a regular basis.  For the most part, inexperienced people who break it get injured almost every time.  (So do experienced people. lol!)  Your goal is to stay injury free between now and after your race... at least I think so.  Wink  If you get injured, you can't train.  If you can't train, you can't be ready for your race.  It's all about getting to the starting line!  That's why I'm throwing all these conservative strategies at you.  I know you're enthusiastic.  I also know you're still learning your way around.  Next year, you can take all these "rules" and figure out which ones to follow and which ones not.  But for now, I really suggest taking them as law.

My $0.02.

FWIW, I've managed to get injured too many times... I've finally found the way to train MY body so that I don't.  But it took me 3 years of trial and error.  I'm trying to save you time.  Wink

I can realistically see myself doing a HM at some point. Maybe October in Portland...

That's a pretty aggressive goal.  If you continue to run 3 miles twice a week and only increased the same run (the 3rd run) every week starting today by 10% it would take you until mid September to reach 13 miles in a single run.  That assumes everything goes according to plan and you have no set backs.  Have you started researching for a  plan to get you there yet?  Have you pinged the HM group to see how many others went from C25K to a HM in the time frame you're looking at and what plans they used? 

Wingz

Professional Noob

I agree, it is "aggressive."  But my understanding of nauseous is that she is one of those "gung-ho" runners who needs reigning-back, not prodding. 

That said, nauseous, if you're going to be doing this, the time to consider yourself in training really needs to start now-ish.  If you follow Higdon's plan, he doesn't have novice HM runners go past a 10 mile run.  But you DO need to have extra weeks to play with because the chances are really really good that SOMETHING won't go exactly as planned.

Also, keeping all other runs really short and having one super-long run (which is what I think you're referring to, ChupChup) is not usually considered to be sound training.  The rest of the days need to come up too, at least somewhat.

So... what's it going to be?

That's a pretty aggressive goal.  If you continue to run 3 miles twice a week and only increased the same run (the 3rd run) every week starting today by 10% it would take you until mid September to reach 13 miles in a single run.  That assumes everything goes according to plan and you have no set backs.  Have you started researching for a  plan to get you there yet?  Have you pinged the HM group to see how many others went from C25K to a HM in the time frame you're looking at and what plans they used? 

Also, keeping all other runs really short and having one super-long run (which is what I think you're referring to, ChupChup) is not usually considered to be sound training.  The rest of the days need to come up too, at least somewhat.

Agreed, the single long run was not intended to be recommendation.  I was trying to illustrate what a tough time the poster would have finding a training plan.  My personal advice would be for the poster to go on from C25K to something like the One Hour Runner, build up a base over the winter, and try a half marathon in the Spring.  If the poster needs more aggressive goals for late summer or fall, try a 10K and work on the 10K PR.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ah, ok.  I misunderstood.  Smile  A 10K in this case would be ideal.  I believe she said that her choices were HM or 5K... 

It all depends on what you want to do.

One more word of warning, nauseous - you need to think about how much TIME and ENERGY you are willing to put into this project.  Long runs are going to take time.  Longer daily runs are going to take time.  The whole training process is a stress on your body.  And if you're dealing with any personal issues or if you don't have support at home, doing a HM might be just too much.  It's a stretch.  But I totally understand wanting to do one.  Big grin

You Are Beautiful.

I think I counted Portland as being something like 18 weeks away. I was looking at the Higdon novice program. 12 weeks long (leaves me time to repeat weeks). The only problem there is that I'm not up to Higdon week 1 capacity yet. The first week looks like 3/2(or cross)/3/4. There's no way I can do 4 right now. And doing 3 2x a week is a push too.

But I figured I would use OHR to bridge the gap until I can do 4 mi comfortably. Go from 3 runs a week to 4 runs a week with the 4th day being the longest.

I would have to really focus on going slow (that conversation pace).

I agree wingz: it's all about getting to the starting line. I don't want an injury. I can't afford it. My health insurance sucks. I have a good support system: my dad used to be a HM'er, my boyfriend's dad is a marathoner, so is his mom (walker). I also think I have a strong internal motivation.

Portland isn't a for sure. They have a 5mi race I'd feel perfectly respectable doing. But the HM is in early Oct (chilly), it's early morning. I just thought those conditions, for me, would be perfect to try a HM. I'm not set on doing it. I totally understand, I should have reservations.

I have joined the HM group as a lurker. Haven't posted anything yet. I just keep researching HM plans. So that's me. Sorry for hijacking the thread, bwtw! Smile Should I start a new thread?

My Storygraph