Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly update thread: Aug. 10 - Aug.16th. (Read 523 times)

The young Mama Bear!

Hi, runners! Let me hear your progress. Big grin
    Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

The young Mama Bear!

I'll start it off, then. Smile W9D2 is done, new shoes and all. Felt hard, but I was actually making time! One more run until I'm done...I can't freaking believe it.
      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

I'll start it off, then. Smile W9D2 is done, new shoes and all. Felt hard, but I was actually making time! One more run until I'm done...I can't freaking believe it.
        I knew you could do it! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

One more run until I'm done...I can't freaking believe it.
          I should be finished in a few days, too, and am so excited! (I was down for two days last week passing a kidney stone but was happy that I got my run in yesterday!!! I think the antibiotics I'm on are making me super tired and sluggish, but at least I am still moving ahead.) Are you planning to reward yourself somehow after your next run? You should do something special!

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

redleaf

Apparenlty I can't always read a calendar Blush Girl content (for those who want a warning) I'm copying this from the other one only because I'm actully interested in my last question - how much does your period affect your running? Although it may seem like an odd question I'm in a weird situation. I've been on a BC shot for many many years and so didn't have a regular period. I stopped taking the shot and am now starting to "get back to normal" so I'm just not sure about how it affects running etc. --- Well I can say I pushed myself but just couldn't do it. What I was supposed to do (plus 5 min warm up and cool down): 1 min walk 5 min run x 8 What I did: 1 min walk 5 min run x. 5 then I walked 2 minutes then I ran 3 minutes. I tried to push it but I just couldn't. Did my usual cool down and headed back to the flat. Day 1 is the hardest of each week so I will do days 2 and 3 this week and repeat week 6 next week. Oh - and it seems my period started today. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

running buddies

Obiebyke, are you still hanging out here at all? How's the Post-OHR plan working for you? Quotidianlight, congrats on finishing OHR, even if you did skip ahead! Nice to have someone to talk to while running, hey? I just finished week 9 of OHR - rather dumbfounding that I have made it this far. Only one more week and I'll be running for an hour without stopping. How did this happen Confused Gruetzgirl, don't underestimate the stress to your body of the pain of passing a kidney stone! Holy cow, I'm impressed you were up and running so soon afterwards. I really enjoy watching everyone's progress. I think of you all when I'm out there sometimes (other times I just zone out completely). Have a good week, everyone!
              "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                C25K W8D1 complete. We're still going by time instead of distance, but we did 2.5 miles in the 28 minutes so we're not too far off the pace. My transition to Runner may be close to complete at this point: I really miss running on my rest days.
                2008 Goals:
                1. Finish C25K
                2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
                3. Complete One Hour Runner
                erendis

- how much does your period affect your running? Although it may seem like an odd question I'm in a weird situation. I've been on a BC shot for many many years and so didn't have a regular period. I stopped taking the shot and am now starting to "get back to normal" so I'm just not sure about how it affects running etc.
                  I just picked up the book "the complete book of running for women" by Claire Kowalchik (former runner's world editor). Since I just read the chapter on running and your cycle, here's the gist of what she had to say: "many women runners do report that they feel sluggish and run slower in the week prior to menstruation and that they sometimes notice a surprising burst of energy in the first few days of their period." of course, everyone reacts differently to their hormone changes- I remember the nutritionist at the weight management class I used to go to said that many women find that exercise during PMS/period feel better afterwards. both physically (less cramps) and mentally (less cranky). There have been studies that show your "running economy" decreases in the second half of your cycle.
                  I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                  redleaf

"many women runners do report that they feel sluggish and run slower in the week prior to menstruation and that they sometimes notice a surprising burst of energy in the first few days of their period." of course, everyone reacts differently to their hormone changes- I remember the nutritionist at the weight management class I used to go to said that many women find that exercise during PMS/period feel better afterwards. both physically (less cramps) and mentally (less cranky). There have been studies that show your "running economy" decreases in the second half of your cycle.
                    Thanks muchly! I'm usually a little bit stranger than everyone else but exactly opposite seems a bit much. Maybe because today was the start? Maybe I just found it hard and blamed it on that? Hmm, either is equally likely except I really didn't think I could go on.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Apparenlty I can't always read a calendar Blush Girl content (for those who want a warning) I'm copying this from the other one only because I'm actully interested in my last question - how much does your period affect your running? Although it may seem like an odd question I'm in a weird situation. I've been on a BC shot for many many years and so didn't have a regular period. I stopped taking the shot and am now starting to "get back to normal" so I'm just not sure about how it affects running etc.
                      I notice I don't have much energy for several days before my period. I just do what I can and know that some days will be good runs and others not so good.
                      jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I ran with DH today and managed a 30 minute run, so I think I'm ready to start OHR again.

The young Mama Bear!

Thanks, Wingz! Big grin
                          I should be finished in a few days, too, and am so excited! (I was down for two days last week passing a kidney stone but was happy that I got my run in yesterday!!! I think the antibiotics I'm on are making me super tired and sluggish, but at least I am still moving ahead.) Are you planning to reward yourself somehow after your next run? You should do something special!
                          Wooo, we're going to be in the same "graduating" class! I don't know what I'm going to do - I already bought new shoes, so I think I'm going to see what I can buy to reward myself. Yay! What are you thinking about doing when you finish? Disneyland? Cool As for ttom, I don't think it makes much of a difference for me. At least I get no cramps because of the activity!
                            Wooo, we're going to be in the same "graduating" class! I don't know what I'm going to do - I already bought new shoes, so I think I'm going to see what I can buy to reward myself. Yay! What are you thinking about doing when you finish? Disneyland? Cool
                            A new running skirt and red shoelaces! But, Disneyland sounds oh so much better! MTA: I go really easy on the running when I have my period because I have major migraine issues made worse by my period. I only get my period every six weeks, so I just give myself permission to do shorter runs if I feel crappy that week. Otherwise, it usually makes me feel BETTER to get moving that time of the month.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

The young Mama Bear!

A new running skirt and red shoelaces! But, Disneyland sounds oh so much better! MTA: I go really easy on the running when I have my period because I have major migraine issues made worse by my period. I only get my period every six weeks, so I just give myself permission to do shorter runs if I feel crappy that week. Otherwise, it usually makes me feel BETTER to get moving that time of the month.
                              Ooo, that sounds fantastic! I know there's this whole hoohah about running skirts...how do you like it? I'd feel like people were looking at me, haha. Exactly. The movement helps with the cramps!
                                W4D3 done tonight. It was cold...well 67 but compared to normal. I have to do one more week 4 workout with my mom because she doesn't want to go alone. That's ok though.
                                Goals: Run.