Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Check-in: July 6 to 12 (Read 415 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm not sure what is next. I need to figure that out this week. I'll probably do 30 minute runs/3x a week in the meantime to keep up. I am doing a 5K next month so I need to get my mileage up to that. I'm averaging about 2.5m/30 minutes so I figure with about a month to go, I should be able to move up a bit. My current pace suggests I might be around a 36-37min/5k. (Any thoughts or suggestions on this welcome.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

The young Mama Bear!

Guys who answered my question: I keep finding power songs that I'd LOVE to make into a playlist, but I use the podcasts as a crutch. I cannot wait until I finish the program so I can just 'jam' out while running. So, W4D1 is done. I had the look of a demented woman while walking down the block, but if I didn't I would have wilted at the challenge. I was talking myself down during the warm-up walk, and for the most part it worked. The 3-minute jogs are easier but not a piece of cake...but that's improvement from last week! After the first jog, I kind of whined 'I want to keep going!' when Ullrey told me to stop. Those 5-minute jogs KILLED me. I firmly believe that if I could have kept going without breaks it would have been much easier, but I'll have faith in the program. Smile Here's to hoping it's MUCH easier come Thursday. My lower inner thigh and inside of my calf seized up a bit and I had to half-hobble home. The more I walked the more it got better, though. Anyone ever have this? I'm hoping RICE-ing it will do the job. Hope everyone is doing well still! It was WAY TOO HOT today, and I blame the difficult run on the weather. Big grin Meg, have you played with speed yet? Maybe you can do a portion of your jogs as a fartlek. Confused
      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
      zzz

zzz

Canadian Meg!!! Congratulations! Big grin Sorry that the kids kept you from basking in the feeling, though. Did you eventually do anything to celebrate? To everyone who feels stuck to those podcasts, I really like the system I developed with writing the intervals on a small piece of fabric and pinning it to my Timex. It's simple, and I so much prefer the little bit of thought that I have to put in to checking the watch and being able to hear the outside world as I run. I got stuck in week 6. I re-ran W6D1 today, and hopefully now I'll be back on track. Things I Learned on My Run Today: 1. Even if you start out thinking "this won't be too bad", running in 80 degree humid heat makes you want to puke when you're done. 2. Eating bugs is kinda yucky. I would just get into the rhythym of my run and get my breathing just right and then PHLOT, I'd inhale a bug. Yuck. 3. Bugs are a motivator...they make you run instead of walk. Whenever I'd slow to a walk, the bugs would really try to eat me alive.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

running buddies

gruetzgirl - I completely agree with everything you said about bugs! Seems like if I'm not eating or inhaling them, they are getting in my eyes or buzzing around my head. If anyone finds a bug spray that doesn't run into their eyes when they are sweating in high humidity, be sure to let me know.
              "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)

The young Mama Bear!

Things I Learned on My Run Today: 1. Even if you start out thinking "this won't be too bad", running in 80 degree humid heat makes you want to puke when you're done. 2. Eating bugs is kinda yucky. I would just get into the rhythym of my run and get my breathing just right and then PHLOT, I'd inhale a bug. Yuck. 3. Bugs are a motivator...they make you run instead of walk. Whenever I'd slow to a walk, the bugs would really try to eat me alive.
                YES. Running in the heat makes your run 8x worse! The air is hot as it is, and trying to suck wind while running doesn't work. Dead I don't even notice the bugs, but then again I'm kind of oblivious sometimes!
                Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                zzz

MoonStar

Actually once you get done with the intervals you can go by your own music really easily. I agree though it was REALLY helpful having someone tell me when to start/stop at the beginning. Calves almost back to normal now - finally - did 15 min walk and 30 minute swim. Should be able to finally do w9d3 tomorrow - I hope.
                      gruetzgirl - I completely agree with everything you said about bugs! Seems like if I'm not eating or inhaling them, they are getting in my eyes or buzzing around my head. If anyone finds a bug spray that doesn't run into their eyes when they are sweating in high humidity, be sure to let me know.
                      My mom just bought me a lightweight hat that has Buzz Off Insect Shield. I'll give it a shot and see if it helps!

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

Hello everybody, I just started my first week of C25k. I"m excited to get started. I hope that I will hae the motivation to get through the whole thing. I have the feeling that I will reallly enjoy running. Hopefully the heat won't get to me. Dead I am definately not an early riser so running around 7 or 8 P.M. is the most bearable time that I can go. We are suppposed to have a heat wave soon so I hope it's not too bad. Luckily I have a pool to cool off in afterwards Big grin. Also i'm looking for some cheap but relatively decent shoes that I can start out with. I don't want to pay a lot in case I don't end up liking running very much, but I would like somewhat decent shoes. I tend to under-pronate because of my very high arches. Any suggestions?? Confused ~Olivia
                        Goals: Run.

running buddies

My mom just bought me a lightweight hat that has Buzz Off Insect Shield. I'll give it a shot and see if it helps!
                          Let me know how well it works. I've seen them advertised and have been thinking about getting one. I always wear a baseball cap when I'm running, but it's just a regular one. At least it keeps the deerflies out of my hair. Welcome Oliviars22! Don't go too cheap on the shoes, because if you hurt when you get started, you really won't enjoy it. I don't have any brand advice, though.
                          "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                            Hooray for my first official 25 minute run! I attempted it two weeks ago but failed miserably, then sort of repeated a W6 interval last week, then last night managed to get all the way through. I think the key to my success was not trying for it...I told myself, no matter what, at least run 10 minutes and if it's unbearable, you can walk for a few and resume....then I got to 10 and thought I was good til 15, then 20, then by that time I thought heck, I am actually going to finish this! I did have to stop 4 times for a quick water guzzle but that was it! I guess I'll count it as W7D2, I only have time for one more run this week so that'll be D3 and then on to Week 8!! So excited to be nearly the finish line so to speak, though because I'm running a 12:00 mm pace it'll take me a few more weeks to get up to the 5K distance (I'll need to get to 37 minutes at my current pace). Another exciting thing: I was disappointed a few weeks ago because my legs seemed to be getting flabbier (due to losing weight but the skin was kind of loose, making it look even worse than when they were fatter)...well last night I really noticed an improvement in the muscle tone. I mean OK, I'm like 75 pounds overweight so it's relative, but still, I was psyched. Now if I could just lose more weight around the middle...
                            2009 Goals:
                            PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                            Run a 10K
                            Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                            Complete my first Sprint Tri
                            zzz

hey y'all check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tui8EOdv_VU&feature=related hey olivia...welcome...i agree don't scrimp on the shoes... my running partner was having LOADS of shin pain from running in old not the right fit for her feet shoes... she got a new pair two runs ago and has no pain at all now. i see that you are 16 so i don't know how much $$$ you have lying around for a good pair but if you check out the running stores they sometimes have clearance sales with a few sizes left in different types of shoes... check and see if they have your size with your particular foot form/roll/etc. And good luck I think you'll love it once you get going. Big grin Jenner congrats on your run and new muscle tone.... Big grin You sound just like me and I can't wait to haul this big butt of mine around for 25 minutes non stop.... hey is your VT for Vermont or VA Tech ( go hokies!!)
                                Things I Learned on My Run Today: 1. Even if you start out thinking "this won't be too bad", running in 80 degree humid heat makes you want to puke when you're done. 2. Eating bugs is kinda yucky. I would just get into the rhythym of my run and get my breathing just right and then PHLOT, I'd inhale a bug. Yuck. 3. Bugs are a motivator...they make you run instead of walk. Whenever I'd slow to a walk, the bugs would really try to eat me alive.
                                Haha these are funny. I got one of those fluffy dandelion things up my nose once. I was running along and took a deep inhale and it got sucked up there. I felt stupid cuz it tickled and I was on a busy street so I am sure I just looked stupid. Big grin